Dark Kn19ht

Gary Sanchez 2019 Outlook

36 minutes ago, treyjuice said:

He has 2 seasons worth of at bats when he was great compared to 1 season where he was quite bad . I wouldn’t call that a “solid history” at all despite you reminding everyone that last year really didn’t count 12 different times in this thread. 

Anyway glad things have calmed down a bit and (most) people are valuing Gary where he needs to be. A streaky top 3 fantasy catcher. Hope somebody took my advice 3 weeks ago and sold high when some were anointing him a surefire 2nd round pick. 

Do you need to be reminded that he had a groin injury and shoulder injury that required offseason surgery?  I think you do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Do you need to be reminded that he had a groin injury and shoulder injury that required offseason surgery?  I think you do.

Not 16 times in one thread. My point is he hasn’t exactly been a pillar of consistency when you factor in how short his career has been. I’m just being objective and shining some light on some owners who are obviously drinking the kool-aid calling him a “generational talent” , “surefire 2nd round pick” , and saying he is in a tier by himself at the C position when more facts point to the opposite. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, treyjuice said:

He has 2 seasons worth of at bats when he was great compared to 1 season where he was quite bad . I wouldn’t call that a “solid history” at all despite you reminding everyone that last year really didn’t count 12 different times in this thread. 

Anyway glad things have calmed down a bit and (most) people are valuing Gary where he needs to be. A streaky top 3 fantasy catcher. Hope somebody took my advice 3 weeks ago and sold high when some were anointing him a surefire 2nd round pick. 

I continue to remind you because you clearly can't get it through your head and just continue to ignore everything that has been said only because it goes against what you believe.  You think Grandal is great.  I never once said that I thought he was anything else than what he has done, so it's not like what I've been saying in regards to any of the other catchers was just to make Sanchez seem better than he is.  The stats over the last several years do that on their own, but yet the only thing that seems to matter is the fact that Sanchez has slumped recently like players do and that an injury riddled season matters just as much if not more than the great seasons he's had around it.  I'm not sure how much more obvious things have to be that last season was indeed an outlier.  A player doesn't do what Sanchez has done otherwise by accident.  Not quite sure why it matters so much to you that Sanchez fails.

933 ABs (not counting his plate appearances for walks and such) combined from 2016, 2017, and 2019 so far, and those ABs have produced great stats for a catcher (and obviously pretty good stats period).  Yet 323 ABs from an injury riddled season and a small portion of this season make him an inconsistent player.  And yes, I will continue to point out 2018 because, again, you seem to need to continue to be reminded.

Honestly, there's not much more that can be said.  You're, for the most part, wrong.  You won't admit it and just want to see Sanchez fail for some reason.  Once Sanchez gets hot, and he will, you'll probably suddenly disappear.  If he goes into another slump like players do, then you'll reappear again.  Oh well.  All of us that own Sanchez will just enjoy it while you sit there and wait for the next slump.  Believe it or not, Gary Sanchez is actually good and there is an actual advantage to owning him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I continue to remind you because you clearly can't get it through your head and just continue to ignore everything that has been said only because it goes against what you believe.  You think Grandal is great.  I never once said that I thought he was anything else than what he has done, so it's not like what I've been saying in regards to any of the other catchers was just to make Sanchez seem better than he is.  The stats over the last several years do that on their own, but yet the only thing that seems to matter is the fact that Sanchez has slumped recently like players do and that an injury riddled season matters just as much if not more than the great seasons he's had around it.  I'm not sure how much more obvious things have to be that last season was indeed an outlier.  A player doesn't do what Sanchez has done otherwise by accident.  Not quite sure why it matters so much to you that Sanchez fails.

933 ABs (not counting his plate appearances for walks and such) combined from 2016, 2017, and 2019 so far, and those ABs have produced great stats for a catcher (and obviously pretty good stats period).  Yet 323 ABs from an injury riddled season and a small portion of this season make him an inconsistent player.  And yes, I will continue to point out 2018 because, again, you seem to need to continue to be reminded.

Honestly, there's not much more that can be said.  You're, for the most part, wrong.  You won't admit it and just want to see Sanchez fail for some reason.  Once Sanchez gets hot, and he will, you'll probably suddenly disappear.  If he goes into another slump like players do, then you'll reappear again.  Oh well.  All of us that own Sanchez will just enjoy it while you sit there and wait for the next slump.  Believe it or not, Gary Sanchez is actually good and there is an actual advantage to owning him.

You are just one of those guys who brings his pom pom's and frankly poor information to a thread here just because you own that player.

I never said he wasn't good or that there was no advantage to owning him, not even close. You see, that's what guys who know they are wrong do when debating, they try to pass off the other persons' argument as something that is different than what was actually my stance. And since you have devolved to using straw man arguments I'll take that as you admitting that you a homer for Gary, which is fine, but just be up front about it as there are many people on this forum who come here to get an edge in their fantasy league and don't want to get directed off that course by some guy who has a bias. Let the record show that all I have basically said in this thread is that....

There are comparable catchers , one being Grandal who is breaking out in Milwaukee. If I said he was "great" which I don't think I did , well than it was probably to refute you or one of the other groupies in this thread calling Sanchez great, because there numbers are close. Grandal isn't being hyped as a 2nd round pick next year in June of this year like you did with Sanchez in this thread. I thought it was worth being said.

Gary Sanchez is not, and frankly will not ever be worth a 2nd round pick in a competitive fantasy baseball league with standard scoring. Anybody who does that is putting themselves at a disadvantage. 

Maybe you are just trying to balloon his value by talking all this stuff in this thread? You did say you own him in your dynasty league. Do your league mates also use this forum? If so it's an admirable strategy but for any person who is looking for reasonable takes on here the stuff I'm saying needs to be said. You just can't seem to handle that. Pretty funny actually that some other dude in this thread basically said the same thing as me about there being catchers on the same tier as Gary and you were all over his post loving it. It's clear you just don't like that I called you out (When Sanchez was raking mind you) and said that anybody who can get the type of value that was being thrown around in this thread regarding him should do so immediately.  I stand by everything I've said in this thread and so far it actually looks like I have been one of the few dropping helpful information , I'm sorry that messes up your angle.

P.S.  I know this post will get plenty of "confused" reactions or whatever from you and other guys who own him (I'm looking at you Big Bat Theory) but there is nothing confusing about it at all. Homers gonna be homers, it's part of the deal, I'll make it my role to call them out when they are wrong . At least about Gary Sanchez. 

P.P.S  By the way was Gary hurt last season or no?  

• Confused 2

[Jumping in here to remind everyone to keep their arguments focused on the player, and not what you think about the motivations of other members participating in the conversation.  We all watch the games and read the data with a different set of assumptions, biases, etc.  That does not mean that anyone who watches the same games you do but comes away with a different valuation for a player is a "homer", has "pom poms" on, etc.  The data is rarely so unambiguous that conclusions derive naturally from the on-the-field results, and there are many other reasons that someone might disagree with you than just "they own the player."  Meanwhile, calling other people out for reacting to your post is aggro nonsense.  Stay away from pejorative statements and call-outs of other members, period.]

2 hours ago, treyjuice said:

You are just one of those guys who brings his pom pom's and frankly poor information to a thread here just because you own that player.

I never said he wasn't good or that there was no advantage to owning him, not even close. You see, that's what guys who know they are wrong do when debating, they try to pass off the other persons' argument as something that is different than what was actually my stance. And since you have devolved to using straw man arguments I'll take that as you admitting that you a homer for Gary, which is fine, but just be up front about it as there are many people on this forum who come here to get an edge in their fantasy league and don't want to get directed off that course by some guy who has a bias. Let the record show that all I have basically said in this thread is that....

There are comparable catchers , one being Grandal who is breaking out in Milwaukee. If I said he was "great" which I don't think I did , well than it was probably to refute you or one of the other groupies in this thread calling Sanchez great, because there numbers are close. Grandal isn't being hyped as a 2nd round pick next year in June of this year like you did with Sanchez in this thread. I thought it was worth being said.

Gary Sanchez is not, and frankly will not ever be worth a 2nd round pick in a competitive fantasy baseball league with standard scoring. Anybody who does that is putting themselves at a disadvantage. 

Maybe you are just trying to balloon his value by talking all this stuff in this thread? You did say you own him in your dynasty league. Do your league mates also use this forum? If so it's an admirable strategy but for any person who is looking for reasonable takes on here the stuff I'm saying needs to be said. You just can't seem to handle that. Pretty funny actually that some other dude in this thread basically said the same thing as me about there being catchers on the same tier as Gary and you were all over his post loving it. It's clear you just don't like that I called you out (When Sanchez was raking mind you) and said that anybody who can get the type of value that was being thrown around in this thread regarding him should do so immediately.  I stand by everything I've said in this thread and so far it actually looks like I have been one of the few dropping helpful information , I'm sorry that messes up your angle.

P.S.  I know this post will get plenty of "confused" reactions or whatever from you and other guys who own him (I'm looking at you Big Bat Theory) but there is nothing confusing about it at all. Homers gonna be homers, it's part of the deal, I'll make it my role to call them out when they are wrong . At least about Gary Sanchez. 

The issue I have is you seem to want to use his 2018 "season" in which he was injured (shoulder, groin) and was all of 89 games to say that he is an inconsistent player.  

If he gets 71R, 39 HR, 98 RBI, .245/.317/.539 as ZiPS projects this year is he really that far from being worth a 2nd round pick? There is a serious lack of staying power at C - outside of Sanchez, Grandal, Contreras, Realmuto (who has underperformed) each catcher has warts whether it be age (R.Perez, Chirinos, Suzuki, Ramos) or lack of track record (Garver, Narvaez, Sisco, McCann).

He may not be a 2nd rounder but he's certainly worth a 3rd or 4th.

And no, he's not in a tier by himself in total, but he is in a tier by himself in terms of power. It doesn't get more rare than a 40 HR catcher, even in today's environment. But none of this is to say your boy Grandal isn't a stud as well in his own way with slightly less power but higher OBP.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, treyjuice said:

Nope.  Everything I've said about Sanchez and Grandal, especially the multiple ignored posts comparing their stats and why you were wrong, were all based on their stats right in front of you.  No bias whatsoever.  If Grandal was having a better season, I would acknowledge it.  Same goes for him over the last 3 or 4 seasons, but even with Sanchez's injury riddled 2018, he still hasn't been better.

There's no real point in going into much detail.  You think you have been talking facts.  You haven't.  I do as well, but backed all of it up with actual statistics over the last 3 or 4 years.  I'm wrong.  You're right.  Not really, but hey, I'll let you continue to think whatever you want to think.

Never once tried to ballon Gary's value.  Yes, I own him in my keeper league, but other than basically saying all the way back when this started that I thought he could potentially be a second rounder in some drafts, I'm not going around saying how great he is.  My main issue with you originally was how you were saying that Grandal has been better than Sanchez over the last several years, and once again, that is completely false.  I backed it all up with the statistics from their last several seasons, but that went ignored.  Not sure why it ever got to this point, or why saying that a highly valuable player at a very weak position isn't worth a pretty high round draft pick is such blasphemy.

You can continue to pat yourself on the back for no apparent reason though.  Not sure why your ego is such a big part of this now either.  You are a one man police for anybody that doesn't agree with you.  I'm done.  If you want to continue to stroke your ego, send me a PM.  This is to talk about Gary Sanchez, not that.

Back end of june we thought this guy finally is coming of age and improving his hitting to a new level.... lol how fooled were we. This guy been total bum entire july so far....

JULY: 55 at bats .119 avg 1 HR 4 RBI 3 BB 18 K LOL, what a disaster.

Darn, thought I had a set it and forget it catcher. Now im looking to pickup D'arnaud or someone, ugh.

Posted (edited)

BUT 24 HOMERUNS THO HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

this guy is a slug in H2H leagues

Edited by crotchcrickets
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, DJSatane said:

Back end of june we thought this guy finally is coming of age and improving his hitting to a new level.... lol how fooled were we. This guy been total bum entire july so far....

JULY: 55 at bats .119 avg 1 HR 4 RBI 3 BB 18 K LOL, what a disaster.

More detail on his July numbers....he's been a popup and strikeout machine

33.9% K%

45.5% infield flyball rate

His July struggles coincide with his jamming his thumb on June 30th against the Red Sox, but according to this NY Post article, the thumb is fine. 

Boone had this to say as well (from article): 

“I feel he is getting his ‘A’ swing off a lot. He gets a pitch [to hit]. He is fouling that pitch off,’’ said Boone, who batted Sanchez fourth against Twins lefty Martin Perez. “He is expanding the strike zone right now and that could be the result of him chasing [pitches]. I have talked to him about making sure he is focused and making sure he is having good at-bats. Gary’s talent and swing will lead to success. I don’t think he is that far off.’’

It's been ugly in July but it has only been 14 games. They keep running him out there at C and batting 3rd, so I'm confident he's not ailing too much and will turn it around.

7 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

BUT 24 HOMERUNS THO HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

this guy is a slug in H2H leagues

He's been a slug for 14 games. Most players slump. Even All-Stars.

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

He's been a slug for 14 games. Most players slump. Even All-Stars.

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Interesting.  

Over the last month he is batting .125 1HR 6RBI 28K in 80 ABs.  OPSing .393(!).

good for the 957th ranked player in my league.

that's one heck of a slump.

Like i said, hes a slug in H2H leagues.

Edited by crotchcrickets

He'll be fine eventually, as last season was the anomaly, not all of his other seasons (including 2019 pre-July).  I can't deny this has been an absolutely brutal stretch to own him for.  I don't remember his slumps lasting quite this long, but again, I believe he'll be fine soon enough.

"Maybe tonight's the night he broke out of it.  *checks his team*  Ugh, nope.  Maybe tomorrow..."

6 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Interesting.  

Over the last month he is batting .125 1HR 6RBI 28K in 80 ABs.  OPSing .393(!).

good for the 957th ranked player in my league.

that's one heck of a slump.

Like i said, hes a slug in H2H leagues.

Yea, it's been a brutal slump. But even your month sample is 20 games. I'm still not worried about him ROS. Yanks have 63 games left, and he'll probably play in 50 of them.

He'll be sitting at .250-.260 with 30-35 HR by the end of the season. Maybe more.

2 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Yea, it's been a brutal slump. But even your month sample is 20 games. I'm still not worried about him ROS. Yanks have 63 games left, and he'll probably play in 50 of them.

He'll be sitting at .250-.260 with 30-35 HR by the end of the season. Maybe more.

yea i dunno.  i think this is just what he is.  a super streaky hitter with good power that will frustrate the hell out of you.

REALLY slumping right now.  anyone heard anything?

15 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

I heard the official scorekeeper is already marking him down on the score sheet has a Out before his AB is even finished.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

I heard that this was inevitable considering the type of player he is and how he started the year off. You can check back at my posts in this thread but he bullet points are ...

1: Incredibly streaky hitter by nature.

2: Mentally he just isn’t a pro yet, whether he gets there or not at some point in his career is yet to be seen but baseball fans in New York know this to be true and I definitely don’t subscribe to the idea that I don’t want this guy running out ground balls because he is a catcher and that means he shouldn’t hustle as somebody said earlier in this thread . 

3: He’s not as good as he was playing for that 6 week or so stretch after he came back from the IL. He’s good but he’s not MVP good as I believe I read in a rotoworld blurb at some point. Regression was in the cards and it was pretty obviously coming. 

4. He hasn’t proven himself unworthy of the “injury prone” tag yet. Not saying he is or he isn’t , but the data shows he has certainly been hurt a relatively big portion of his career for such a young guy, and being a catcher doesn’t help.

He will probably get  hot again, although probably not as hot as he was for as long as he was already this season . Hope owners made the most of that hot streak when they had the chance whatever that means for their team in their respective leagues. 

I would pencil him in for 100 games every season.  

Is anyone else kind of strangely relieved? Owning this guy can be tough. If you have him, you HAVE to start him for fear of missing one of his insane tears. When he's been as bad as he's been, not being forced to start him is kind of freeing...lol