Sign in to follow this  
Meastoftheeast

Prospects Live Top 100 Prospects

These guys are awesome, they dropped their aggregate top 100 today, the also have top 30 team rankings as well as FYPD rankings:

Ralph Lifshitz (@ProspectJesus) 

Jason Woodell (@JasonAtTheGame)

Jason Pennini (@Jason Pennini)

Matt Thompson (@mdthompFWFB)

Eddy Almaguer(@EddyAlmauger)

Lance Brozdowski (@LanceBrozdow)

https://www.prospectslive.com/

Top 100:

https://www.prospectslive.com/lists/2019/1/24/the-top-100-prospects-for-2019

Interactive top 100:

https://www.prospectslive.com/interactive-prospect-lists

For those who already knew, I am sorry and for those that didn't, you are welcome!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good list, definitely interesting. Especially Vidal Brujan, great base stealer that gets the bat on the ball.

Still early to tell, he’s only in High A, but his career .387 obp and .813 ops is mighty tempting for dynasty leagues.

Like the list. Nice to see proper placement of Kirilloff here. Other quick thoughts:

-Kieboom at 14, wow, I thought I was high on him...ok!

-I knew they liked India and the 18th rank is really aggressive

-Jazz getting some love at #38, I like that.

-Sixto at #53 seems awfully low, but I guess it's hard with his unknown health right now

-Greene ditto

-Josh James at 70 is hard to figure, really low

-Paredes at 86 is refreshing to see after he's been largely ignored in many lists

-Brandon Lowe ditto to ^

- I like Nevin seeing some love at 100

It is always tough with these aggregate lists, it kinda homogenizes the feel but I get it. I look more forward to the fantasy one.

Still, a great first effort from a pretty solid team of actual evaluators! 

• Like 1

Be interesting to see the reasoning as to why risk level scores vary.  And risk as to...what?

Vlad rated as MODERATE and Eloy rated as LOW for example seems pretty arbitrary.

Good list, I just don't follow that small variable.

35 minutes ago, treat88 said:

Be interesting to see the reasoning as to why risk level scores vary.  And risk as to...what?

Vlad rated as MODERATE and Eloy rated as LOW for example seems pretty arbitrary.

Good list, I just don't follow that small variable.

Here's their article on assessing risk

https://www.prospectslive.com/featured-articles/2019/1/24/defining-risk

Also, their Fantasy top 100 list drops next Monday.

1 hour ago, Blood Brother said:

Here's their article on assessing risk

https://www.prospectslive.com/featured-articles/2019/1/24/defining-risk

Also, their Fantasy top 100 list drops next Monday.

Ask and ye shall receive.  LOL.

Thanks man.  Shoulda looked around myself.

Guess that moderate for Vlad just comes down to weight then.

1 hour ago, treat88 said:

Ask and ye shall receive.  LOL.

Thanks man.  Shoulda looked around myself.

Guess that moderate for Vlad just comes down to weight then.

His SFV is 80. #2 on the list (Eloy) has an SFV of 70. I think the high mark of expectation plays a role in the risk level. If they put SFV at 70 on Vlad I would expect his risk to be low. 

• Like 1

What’s funny about the top 100 lists that are coming out at this time, is there’s about 300 different players distributed throughout all of them.

Overall I’d say this is one of the better lists from a fantasy perspective, not so much on the specific order, since it’s impossible to have a “perfect list”, but it offers good rankings of high ceiling players.

On 1/25/2019 at 1:37 PM, oswald737 said:

India as a top 20 prospect. That's surprising.

I watched some clips of India hitting and it just reminded me a bit of a right handed version of Utley. Really quiet at the plate. Always balanced. Quick hands. Never looked like he was "muscling up". I think once he gets acclimated to wood bats he is probably going to explode up rankings with a really advanced approach and high OBP. This ranking kind of bakes that ascension in so there isn't too much higher for him to go. After watching more clips of his swing he has gone to the top of my list for FYPD. 

23 hours ago, thezing1 said:

I watched some clips of India hitting and it just reminded me a bit of a right handed version of Utley. Really quiet at the plate. Always balanced. Quick hands. Never looked like he was "muscling up". I think once he gets acclimated to wood bats he is probably going to explode up rankings with a really advanced approach and high OBP. This ranking kind of bakes that ascension in so there isn't too much higher for him to go. After watching more clips of his swing he has gone to the top of my list for FYPD. 

his explosiveness and swing remind me of Dozier a tiny bit. but a much better natural hit tool 

after binge-watching clips of him just now (metal bat and wood) I honestly think I would take him over Gorman, Kikuchi, anyone in this FYPD

2 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

his explosiveness and swing remind me of Dozier a tiny bit. but a much better natural hit tool 

after binge-watching clips of him just now (metal bat and wood) I honestly think I would take him over Gorman, Kikuchi, anyone in this FYPD

He is really impressive on film. Utley always amazed me with how quick he was through the zone and how much power he generated. I guess that is what reminded me of him when I saw some clips of India. I think we all want crazy stat lines from the low levels, but I think you can look at the film and see how India projects and that is more than enough to trump a small sample set from his first taste of minor league ball. 

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

He is really impressive on film. Utley always amazed me with how quick he was through the zone and how much power he generated. I guess that is what reminded me of him when I saw some clips of India. I think we all want crazy stat lines from the low levels, but I think you can look at the film and see how India projects and that is more than enough to trump a small sample set from his first taste of minor league ball. 

I'm off to offer a trade for him as we speak. sad to have no shares... 

What can you envision as his statistical ceiling?  is .278-94-32-100-17 a pipedream?   with strong-but-aggressive peripherals. 

6 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I'm off to offer a trade for him as we speak. sad to have no shares... 

What can you envision as his statistical ceiling?  is .278-94-32-100-17 a pipedream?   with strong-but-aggressive peripherals. 

Runs is tricky. I think India will be on base quite often and he plays in a great ball park. I can see him hitting 2, 3, 5. I think some blend of the 2015 and 2017 Kris Bryant is probably where he can sit in his prime. If his power is in the 30+HR territory than his steals are probably going to come down into the low teens or most likely single digits.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, adwilk1231 said:

Having a hard time with Mitch Keller at 99 no Keibert Ruiz or Hunter Greene.  

Yeah, Eddy's response was odd when asked about Ruiz and Bart ("Would you rather a backstop that will provide solid numbers for his position or an upside lower level player who has a chance to bust out and provide awesome numbers? The answer was easy for us"). It was odd to me given their peak projections for Danny Jansen at #61 and Francisco Mejia at #78 - both peak projections were very uninspiring.

His reasoning for omitting Greene at least made more sense to me (agree or disagree): "Hunter Greene was just too risky to put in a top 100 right now. A 100 mph fastball isn't enough especially when it can lack movement and he's already had elbow issues. Pass."

Yeah wow Keller at 99?  Keibert should be a top 40 prospect just about everywhere by now...

• Like 2

You guys are looking at the top 100 fantasy prospects and not the top 100 baseball prospects list. 

That was what I was talking about. Keibert has the makings of a great offensive catcher who will play because of his D.  Even if you think Keller never develops a good change there is no way that he isn't a better risk than guys ranked way ahead of him.  Green may throw a straight fastball but it is 105.  Both those guys have #1 ceilings there is no way they aren't more valuable than some pie in the sky 18 year old who hasn't seen a decent curveball yet.  I get looking for breakouts but not at the expense of legit high end prospects.  Make the list longer or have a breakout category.

• Like 1

Some analysts/entire sites decide to punt catcher in their rankings rather than understanding that an exceptional one has a lot of value. That said, maybe the difference between Bart and Ruiz is the difference between one of those rare tier 1 offensive catchers and the next "good hitting" tier which is 7-8 deep to the point where the value is not much

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blabuwe said:

Some analysts/entire sites decide to punt catcher in their rankings rather than understanding that an exceptional one has a lot of value. That said, maybe the difference between Bart and Ruiz is the difference between one of those rare tier 1 offensive catchers and the next "good hitting" tier which is 7-8 deep to the point where the value is not much

The exceptional ones do not have tremendous value in fantasy. In the last 10 years there's been like 1-4 entire seasons (not players) that provided early round value. I'm think that one year Mauer went nuts, Gary Sanchez a few years ago, and posey had a couple decent years and I think napoli maybe one.

I'm not saying you don't want a good consistent catcher, but even the top ones aren't studs every yesr and the studs put up the value of like a good ci option at best.

They also get hurt a lot. If you play in deeper two catcher leagues they certainly become more valuable because a good one is sure better than a black hole which is most.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, blabuwe said:

I personally can't understand how Bart and Keibert are viewed so differently.  This is the classic mainstream mistake of "oh look a shiny new toy" ... 

Bart is good but Keibert is not only younger but further advanced in the minors while maintaining better peripherals.  Walked more in AA while striking out less than half as much as Bart.

It's a pretty close call to me right now Bart just has the allure of being a shiny new toy and Keibert is easy to over look with his pedestrian OPS because he's at a demanding position and at an advanced level for his age.

At this point they project to be pretty close, Bart showing more power but Keibert showing an advanced hit tool for a 20 year old switch hitting catcher.  That is a pretty rare feat.

Glad to see Deivi made the list but why so low?

Love to see my boy Tyler Freeman made the list.  He is so under rated.

The difference between Andres Gimenez and Isaac Paredes just shows they got it wrong on one of them.  They statistically are the same player except Paredes hit better in AA and carried better peripherals the entire season.  I like Jazz, but seriously  how is he ranked higher than Paredes?  Let alone nearly 50 spots higher?

Kieboom vs Lux... How is Kieboom ranked that much higher on the fantasy end?  

Triston McKenzie at 93, Keller 99, and McKay at 90 is absolutely laughable.  I personally would take McKenzie over Luzardo #16 and especially Puk at #22 dude's hurt right now.

Matthew Liberatore makes the list at 92 but Eric Pardinho is nowhere to be found?