2ndCitySox

Chris Archer 2019 Outlook

Solid outing today, bullpen blew his W. Anyone watch the start. The box score looks solid besides the high pitch count

I only watched a little early. Looked like he threw a lot of pitches in the first three innings and gave up some walks. When I checked back in he was out of the game although he must have been solid for his final two innings. Good start, bummer he didn't get the W.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Willsea33 said:

Solid outing today, bullpen blew his W. Anyone watch the start. The box score looks solid besides the high pitch count

The fielding had a lot to do with the outcome too. There were many bad plays by the Pirates in the field. Ground balls that should have been fielded. Missed double play. And I don't know what Cervelli was doing behind the plate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willsea33 said:

He was dealing it. The high pitch count was as much to do with today's strike zone as it was to do with some good ABs from the Cardinal players. There were a few times early on where he was visibly frustrated at the ump for egregious no-calls. And, even though Goldy, Carp and co. had some good battles, Archer managed to get his fair share of K's out of those duels. His control was strong and he seemed to have a good feel of his full arsenal, as he was able to get swinging strikes out of his change up and his breaking ball stuff. I would say his performance was really good.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jimmyjohns said:

He was dealing it. The high pitch count was as much to do with today's strike zone as it was to do with some good ABs from the Cardinal players. There were a few times early on where he was visibly frustrated at the ump for egregious no-calls

I'll second this. The strike zone lacked a good bit of consistency. I can think of two at bats specifically that should have resulted in an early punch out, but instead resulted in an extra three or four pitches each because of an early missed call. Especially the Wainwright at bat. 

Overall Archer seemed impressive and a bit more composed. I think a "bounce back" season is in the cards. (And by that I mean 2016 numbers, which I'd take)

On 4/14/2019 at 7:59 AM, motown magic said:

He’s the Buxton of pitchers . 

what do you mean by that?

He sucks you in with some wins and next thing you know he’s killing your ratios . He’s been under performing his adp . Buxton had fooled people every year as well 

2 hours ago, motown magic said:

He sucks you in with some wins and next thing you know he’s killing your ratios . He’s been under performing his adp . Buxton had fooled people every year as well 

How is he under performing his ADP?

3 hours ago, motown magic said:

Don’t own but very confused.

On 4/14/2019 at 5:59 AM, motown magic said:

He’s the Buxton of pitchers . 

5 hours ago, motown magic said:

So basically you have no idea what Archer is doing this year?

Do basically Archer is doing what  he and Buxton do every year . I will gladly serve myself some crow if at the end of the year he has an era under 4.00

And Buxton has a ba of 250 /20/20

So someone in my league dropped him and I figured it’s because he’s been atrocious this year. But it seems as his last two bad outings could be attributed to his swollen thumb? Anyone have any info about why his thumb is swollen? I read that his IL stint shouldn’t be too long and he should serve the minimum. 

4.33 era and 1.29 whip isn't atrocious.  Not great by any means but not atrocious.  His numbers were really nice before that last start which was most likely attributed to the thumb injury.  Not sure how he injured it but it doesn't seem serious. Considering the amount of slop that's on the waiver wire right now he's a no brainer add.  

Posted (edited)

What's up with Archer past 3 starts? Only a combined 12.2 innings pitched with 10 total Ks

Edited by FantasyFiend

2 minutes ago, FantasyFiend said:

What's up with Archer past 3 starts? Only a combined 12.2 innings pitched with 10 total Ks

The two previous were due to a thumb issue. The third could be because no actual rehab start and comes back with not an ideal matchup his thumb could still be bothering? I doubt many people were sending him out yesterday though. The next start will be the real litmus test

3 minutes ago, FantasyFiend said:

If I had to guess I'd say partially the thumb/rust returning from the IL, partially not being all that good at baseball.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, FantasyFiend said:

What’s up with Archer the past 5 years? An ERA over 4 in every single one of them.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1