DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Anyone trying to turn this into an AB proxy thread will receive a warning and suspension.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Gordon is still a Patriot, no?  I have not heard that New England released him.  There have been some reports out lately that say the NFL will quietly back off of its draconian substance abuse policy, so we may see Gordon back on the field in 2019.  I certainly hope so.  I want one of my league mates to waste a spot on him.

Correct he is signed through this year.

He did well when on the field. The last 4 words of the previous sentence is key though.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Solid WR2 when active. Who knows when he will be reinstated if at all. 

Before mini camp

If he's reinstated I'd only take him in rounds 10-15, and I'd only feel good about it in 12+.

He didn't set the world on fire when he was playing and based on his past is unlikely to finish the season. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bangarrang said:

If he's reinstated I'd only take him in rounds 10-15, and I'd only feel good about it in 12+.

He didn't set the world on fire when he was playing and based on his past is unlikely to finish the season. 

Noodle arm Brady couldn't hit him in stride but he did well with the targets he received 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Noodle arm Brady couldn't hit him in stride but he did well with the targets he received 

Brady's deep ball stinks these days for sure. Flash didn't look nearly as fast to me though so not sure another one would help much. Still freakishly strong though.

Seems odd they would tag him. Pats must know something we don't..

Been a Josh Gordon truther for years...
Held him in all my dynasty leagues waiting for a return...
He got back on the field last year, and he was ok... not bad, but nothing special.
After this round of disappointment, I am finally over the obsession.
I wish him the best in his recovery and I actually hope he gets to ball again.

Having said that, no longer holding a spot to invest in the upside in leagues less than 25 man rosters.

3 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

And this is the real reason I'm avoiding him this season, moreso than the permanent-suspension risk -- if Brady had trouble hitting him during his age-41 campaign, why should we think he'll have an easier time hitting him during his age-42 campaign?  The upside isn't there.

Posted (edited)

"Patriots re-sign WR Josh Gordon to a one year $2.025 million contract:

Gordon is once again indefinitely suspended, but NFL.com reported in February there is a "chance" he is reinstated by training camp. Believe it when you see it. The practical implication of Gordon signing his restricted free agent tender is that, if he plays, it will indeed be as a Patriot. We have gone months without a real update on Gordon's status/progress."

If he plays next year, he will be a Patriot...which is about all we know at this point. *would really like to see him get his life in order, and possibly make an impact on the football field again.

IMHO the Patriots draft will give us a glimpse into how the NE brass feels the Gordon suspension will play out, ie: IF they draft WRs, who the WRs are, and at what spot they draft said WRs.

Edited by FollowTheLeader

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

"Patriots re-sign WR Josh Gordon to a one year $2.025 million contract:

Gordon is once again indefinitely suspended, but NFL.com reported in February there is a "chance" he is reinstated by training camp. Believe it when you see it. The practical implication of Gordon signing his restricted free agent tender is that, if he plays, it will indeed be as a Patriot. We have gone months without a real update on Gordon's status/progress."

If he plays next year, he will be a Patriot...which is about all we know at this point. *would really like to see him get his life in order, and possibly make an impact on the football field again.

IMHO the Patriots draft will give us a glimpse into how the NE brass feels the Gordon suspension will play out, ie: IF they draft WRs, who the WRs are, and at what spot they draft said WRs.

I don't see them drafting one high, though BB is hard to predict. I'm hoping they get Renrow late, which could only help Flash.

I thought Flash was done though and I'm in NE. Weird.

4 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I don't see them drafting one high, though BB is hard to predict. I'm hoping they get Renrow late, which could only help Flash.

I think the "type" of WR is more relative than position (though this is important.) Drafting a big bodied WR might represent Josh Gordon insurance, while a smaller WR (as you've alluded to), simply fits into the NE slot receiver dynamic.

8 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I thought Flash was done though and I'm in NE. Weird.

Gordon is done. The NFL isn't going to keep giving him more chances.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure I understand the NFL drug abuse policy.

Stage One - Fine

Stage Two - Four to six games

Stage Three - 10 games, up to one year

Any subsequent infractions - Shouldn't this be the same Stage Three penalty?  Meaning 10 games or up to one year?  Why are we even talking about him coming back for training camp? Even though the suspension is indefiinite, it shouldn't mean that it could be less than his previous Stage Three penatly, which was a year.  So, at earliest, if you account the games missed last year, we are talking week 15.

Edited by TTo34

I'd be surprised if he ever comes off the suspension list again. Kraft does appear to have sway with Roger though.

5 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

I'm not sure I understand the NFL drug abuse policy.

Stage One - Fine

Stage Two - Four to six games

Stage Three - 10 games, up to one year

Any subsequent infractions - Shouldn't this be the same Stage Three penalty?  Meaning 10 games or up to one year?  Why are we even talking about him coming back for training camp? Even though the suspension is indefiinite, it shouldn't mean that it could be less than his previous Stage Three penatly, which was a year.  So, at earliest, if you account the games missed last year, we are talking week 15.

Do you really expect the NFL to make sense? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'd be surprised if he ever comes off the suspension list again. Kraft does appear to have sway with Roger though.

Bobby has his own issues to deal with right now

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Gordon is done. The NFL isn't going to keep giving him more chances.

He should be. 

NFL is super random with punishment though.

3 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Anyone know how he failed last test? Haven’t heard anything on it

He never failed a test last year. Lot of misinformation in this thread. He stepped away from the team bc he felt his mental health was slipping. That violated the terms of his reinstatement which is why he was indefinitely suspended again, but as he didn’t fail a test, will most likely be reinstated if he can prove he’s ok mentally. That’s why the pats tenured him, he never failed a test last year. 

And agree with others he was never 100% last year with the hammy injury and then broken finger. Unfortunately his qb will once again suck on deep throws. Easy buy at current adp. Especially if everyone thinks he failed a drug test and will be suspended 10+ games 

6 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

He never failed a test last year. Lot of misinformation in this thread. He stepped away from the team bc he felt his mental health was slipping. That violated the terms of his reinstatement which is why he was indefinitely suspended again, but as he didn’t fail a test, will most likely be reinstated if he can prove he’s ok mentally. That’s why the pats tenured him, he never failed a test last year. 

And agree with others he was never 100% last year with the hammy injury and then broken finger. Unfortunately his qb will once again suck on deep throws. Easy buy at current adp. Especially if everyone thinks he failed a drug test and will be suspended 10+ games 

Thanks for the info..source?