DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2019 Outlook

Quick! Stat man! What percentage of the patriots offense plays were 2 WR sets

5 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

What's nuts to me is people not envisioning a scenario where Gordon goes up against a 2nd stringer because of AB's constant need for defensive attention.

I'm loving this as a Gordon owner.

I wish my glass was as half full as yours right now. This sounds great in theory, but after you factor in the 1300 yards and 8 TDs that AB can realistically rack up, those stats are getting taken from someone...and a lot of that will be coming out of Gordon's pie.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Yeah I thought about it after my first reaction and was thinking the same.  This doesn't bring Gordon off the field, and if anything teams will roll coverage towards AB.

How does it not bring him off the field. Also, Gordon was probably the 2nd or first read in most passing plays. Now he's the 2nd or third. Deefinitely a huge blow. 2 WRs that will soak up maybe 250 targets combined at least. Rbs that tak 150. Gordon and the rst of the team will have to get buy on 100 max. 

• Like 1

The take that this helps Gordon is really flawed.  Brady isn’t going to throw twice as many passes now that AB is there.  There are a limited number of passes and the best wide receiver in the league at getting open is going to gobble them up

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, GoPackGo23 said:

I wish my glass was as half full as yours right now. This sounds great in theory, but after you factor in the 1300 yards and 8 TDs that AB can realistically rack up, those stats are getting taken from someone...and a lot of that will be coming out of Gordon's pie.

Exactly, Gordon was gonna be the deep ball threat w Edelman, White, etc soaking up the short yardage passing.  With AB on the field, Gordon will be lucky to see maybe 5 targets a game.  He takes a huge hit with this signing.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, USWAY said:

I don't have access to data further than 25 yards, but PFF has Brady second to only Mahomes for most accurate thrower on passes that travel further than 20 air yards the last three seasons, including the playoffs:

Can speak to the personnel sets, but we have to figure a large majority of their sets will be 3-wide. 

Also, are we factoring in the fact that Brady and Brown have never played together? AB is one of the best to ever do it, but Gordon and Brady went through the chemistry thing last year. And at least they threw together all off-season.

Weird. I could have sworn ESPN tracked passing splits for completion percentage on throws 1-10,11-20,21-30,31-40+ but I can't find it anymore. I remember seeing his numbers for 2017 and they were abysmal. 

How many targets a game were some of you thinking Gordon would get? This definitely hurts Edelman more than anyone else on the team. Those double digit target games he’d get are definitely coming down. Gordon will still get around the same amount as he would if Gronk was there. 

Just now, lla887 said:

The take that this helps Gordon is really flawed.  Brady isn’t going to throw twice as many passes now that AB is there.  There are a limited number of passes and the best wide receiver in the league at getting open is going to gobble them up

Not to mention with the easiest schedule in the league, there are going to be games when they just run the ball most of the game to preserve Brady for playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ss3walkman said:

How many targets a game were some of you thinking Gordon would get? This definitely hurts Edelman more than anyone else on the team. Those double digit target games he’d get are definitely coming down. Gordon will still get around the same amount as he would if Gronk was there. 

Edelman is Brady's security blanket, his role isn't changing given where the bulk of his catches are made.  This 100% impacts Gordon more than anyone else (maybe DT but he was irrelvant anyways).  Gordon and AB essentially run the same routes.  Edelman will feast in the middle of the field now.

• Like 1

Just now, TheINC said:

Edelman is Brady's security blanket, his role isn't changing given where the bulk of his catches are made.  This 100% impacts Gordon more than anyone else (maybe DT but he was irrelvant anyways).  Gordon and AB essentially run the same routes.  Edelman will feast in the middle of the field now.

I thought that was James White

1 minute ago, oresteszero said:

I thought that was James White

For last season when Edelman was suspended for the 1st 4 games of the season then sure, but after that and every season prior to that?  It has always been Edelman.

What good is seeing a lesser defensive back if AB still gets more targets.

Going from defacto #1 for targets and TDs to sharing targets and TDs with AB (who is very skilled and will likely lead the team in targets, catches and TDs)

Is. Not. A. Plus.

Does it mean gordon will be trash? No. But this limits his ceiling. Limiting a players ceiling is never good. No matter how you try to spin it

Edited by Guwop
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheINC said:

What games have you been watching? James White has been the security blanket the last two years. 

1 minute ago, Guwop said:

What good is seeing a lesser defensive back if AB still gets more targets.

Going from defacto #1 for targets and TDs to sharing targets and TDs with AB (who is very skilled and will likely get plenty of targets)

Is. Not. A. Plus.

Does it mean gordon will be trash? No. But this limits his ceiling. Limiting a players ceiling is never good. No matter how you try to spin it

I guess that’s where we don’t agree. I never seen Gordon as the #1 there. That’s been Edelman. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ss3walkman said:

I guess that’s where we don’t agree. I never seen Gordon as the #1 there. That’s been Edelman. 

Gordon competing with Edelman is waaaaay better than competing with edelman AND brown. That's my point.

People think competing with two good wrs is better than competing with one lol

6 minutes ago, ss3walkman said:

What games have you been watching? James White has been the security blanket the last two years. 

How many years have Brady and Edelman played together?  I don't know what games you've been watching tbh. Edelman has averaged 128 targets a season over the last 5 years with Brady and that included only playing 9 games in '17.  James White has averaged 83 and only topped 100 last season.

Edited by TheINC

What's also crazy is that people claim JuJu will have a breakout year better than his previous ones because he's the number 1 guy and doesn't have to compete with AB. But somehow gordon no longer being the top guy and sharing with AB is a positive? Which one is it guys?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheINC said:

How many years have Brady and Edelman played together?  I don't know what games you've been watching tbh. Edelman has averaged 128 targets a season over the last 5 years with Brady and that included only playing 9 games in '17. 

Targets and security blankets are NOT the same thing. But that also helped confirm that Edelman is the WR1 on this team and people were wrong for thinking Gordon would be even before the Brown signing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ss3walkman said:

Targets and security blankets are NOT the same thing. But that also helped confirm that Edelman is the WR1 on this team and people were wrong for thinking Gordon would be even before the Brown signing.

Right so Edelman averages 50 more targets than White, but somehow White is the security blanket?  Ok man...good thing I can disregard your takes from here on out.

All I'm saying is this: Gordon was on pace for 58 rec/100+ yards/6 TD's last year. This was done going up against the other teams #1 corners, after years of being out of the NFL, being traded to a completely new team and having to learn a new scheme. He's had time to learn the Pats offense, time to develop chemistry with Brady, and time to acclimate himself back to the NFL. With AB here, he now goes up against #2 corners. Is it crazy to think he maintains his efficiency? Gronk, Hogan, and Patterson being gone opens up 155 targets. Sure, the bulk of those go to AB, but Gordon with another year under his belt is going to get some of those. If he can up his receptions to 70, and keep up his efficiency, that's 70 rec/1100 yards/7-8 TD's. Those are strong WR2 numbers. Sure, the volatility will be up since the AB addition surely caps his target share, but this is a guy we were getting in the 7th round an later of drafts. Why the panic? Gordon has never been a guy who needs a ton of catches to make an impact. This year the quality of targets should be better than they've ever been for him.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, USWAY said:

All I'm saying is this: Gordon was on pace for 58 rec/100+ yards/6 TD's last year. This was done going up against the other teams #1 corners, after years of being out of the NFL, being traded to a completely new team and having to learn a new scheme. He's had time to learn the Pats offense, time to develop chemistry with Brady, and time to acclimate himself back to the NFL. With AB here, he now goes up against #2 corners. Is it crazy to think he maintains his efficiency? Gronk, Hogan, and Patterson being gone opens up 155 targets. Sure, the bulk of those go to AB, but Gordon with another year under his belt is going to get some of those. If he can up his receptions to 70, and keep up his efficiency, that's 70 rec/1100 yards/7-8 TD's. Those are strong WR2 numbers. Sure, the volatility will be up since the AB addition surely caps his target share, but this is a guy we were getting in the 7th round an later of drafts. Why the panic? Gordon has never been a guy who needs a ton of catches to make an impact. This year the quality of targets should be better than they've ever been for him.

So you mean to tell me that losing targets and TDs to a superior wr is a good thing?

Man juju lost hard then lol

• Haha 1