DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2019 Outlook

[...]

Weird situation. Seems like hes not actually hurt, was surprised by the IR placement, and could be on a different team soon:

Edited by tonycpsu
Moving to Gordon thread
  • Haha 1

[Reopening thread for fantasy football-related discussions re: JG.  Bickering and other off topic nonsense will lead to thread being locked again.]

• Thanks 1

Very surprised about this, and also very cautious. If it won't work with NE, it won't work with anyone else. Upsetting.

Just now, oresteszero said:

Very surprised about this, and also very cautious. If it won't work with NE, it won't work with anyone else. Upsetting.

Not sure what to read into it.  It's possible Gordon's skill set and the shape he's in this year wasn't a fit with the Pats: propensity for quick plays and Gordon not showing the quick burst he had in the past.  If Gordon got snapped up by, lets say Seattle.  That could be very intriguing for his late year production.

Really confused. Seems like Gordon didn’t even know he was going on IR until he saw it on social media. Is he on IR for a minimum 8 weeks like regular IR? Doesn’t seem like it, since it’s saying he can be waived once healthy from IR. If he goes on waivers though, that doesn’t make him a free agent, but the worst team would get dibs at him first, right? Is this a way to keep Gordon from going to a contending team?

Seems like the Pats are over him and really doing him a disservice.

Just now, Illusion_J said:

Not sure what to read into it.  It's possible Gordon's skill set and the shape he's in this year wasn't a fit with the Pats: propensity for quick plays and Gordon not showing the quick burst he had in the past.  If Gordon got snapped up by, lets say Seattle.  That could be very intriguing for his late year production.

I mean, he had a golden opportunity to shine in NE, and didn't. It'd be very hard to roster, let alone start JG. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oresteszero said:

All speculation on what the deal is at this point, but I definitely wouldn't be dropping him. If it's just that they didn't see eye to eye on his role/fit in this offense, he could end up being huge if he's moved to the right situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Deke said:

[...]

Weird situation. Seems like hes not actually hurt, was surprised by the IR placement, and could be on a different team soon:

Undrop Undrop! ugh think it is too late in my league.

2 minutes ago, altmin said:

Undrop Undrop! ugh think it is too late in my league.

I feel so much better since I clicked the drop button. He is a WR3 and nothing more. 

• Like 1

If they are willing to waive him and take the chance he lands with a competitor that tells you a lot about the situation.

Yeah this is it for me, Im going to rehab, someone else can have him ....

Goodnight

• Haha 2

Highly doubtful he makes an impact on another team if he even signs.  Learning a new playbook doesn't seem to be his forte. Moving along and letting him be someone else's headache if they decide to pick him up off waivers. 

Edited by TheINC

I’m sure many of us did not start him week 1 when he scored. 

Then preceded to start him every week since (deep league flex) and he did nothing. It’s already mid season and the patriots are cutting him. Let him be another owner’s headache. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

If they are willing to waive him and take the chance he lands with a competitor that tells you a lot about the situation.

Drug test failed. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Drug test failed. 

This is definitely a possibility given his history.

9 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Drug test failed. 

3 minutes ago, pdizzle710 said:

This is definitely a possibility given his history.

As a Browns fan you can smell a failed drug test from miles away.  JG seems to drift off in mysterious ways.

18 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

If I owned Josh Gordon, I am NOT dropping.  He was dropped in 2 of my leagues, and I already put in waivers for him in both. 

It is my personal opinion that Josh Gordon is holdable, pick-up-able, and that if he were to be traded, he will still be fantasy relevant this season.  If he were to be cut, he WOULD get picked up by an NFL team, and not just be relevant, but likely more relevant than he was with the Pats, due to the likelihood of a target increase.

You make some salient points, but he had the 1b job to start the season in NE, with a team that throws the ball and the GOAT as QB.  You couldn't really ask for a better situation.  He didn't deliver in the end and wasn't fantasy relevant where he actually had familiarity with the team and playbook.  There was the AB fiasco and then his injury, but prior to that he wasn't producing at a WR3 let alone WR2.  I don't think another change of scenery is going to get his "heart" back into it.  He's also lost a step in what made everyone salivate over him, he's not nearly as fast as he was in years past.  I think anyone who's had Gordon on their team all season long, and finally has the opportunity to open up what's been a dead weight bench spot for the last number of weeks, is honestly relieved to be done with him.  Let someone else add him, hold him on their bench, and wait for him to come around on a different team, with a different coach and QB, and a new playbook.  The history suggests mid-season WR movement doesn't usually pan out for the WR fantasy-wise (Cooper is the recent exception to this), I honestly wouldn't be holding out hope that Gordon would be another exception to this as well.  And with bye weeks coming up I don't know how many people can afford to sit this guy on their bench to wait see him come around on another team and be productive, which IMO he will have a hard time doing.

Edited by TheINC

8 hours ago, mikeflavaz said:

I think it's more likely he lands on IR. 

6 hours ago, sSektor said:

sbpgftvsubu31.jpg

Meanwhile at practice today

wow this aged well. Almost a full 2 hours

25 minutes ago, TheINC said:

You make some salient points, but he had the 1b job to start the season in NE, with a team that throws the ball and the GOAT as QB.  You couldn't really ask for a better situation.  He didn't deliver in the end and wasn't fantasy relevant where he actually had familiarity with the team and playbook.  There was the AB fiasco and then his injury, but prior to that he wasn't producing at a WR3 let alone WR2.  I don't think another change of scenery is going to get his "heart" back into it.  He's also lost a step in what made everyone salivate over him, he's not nearly as fast as he was in years past.  I think anyone who's had Gordon on their team all season long, and finally has the opportunity to open up what's been a dead weight bench spot for the last number of weeks, is honestly relieved to be done with him.  Let someone else add him, hold him on their bench, and wait for him to come around on a different team, with a different coach and QB, and a new playbook.  The history suggests mid-season WR movement doesn't usually pan out for the WR fantasy-wise (Cooper is the recent exception to this), I honestly wouldn't be holding out hope that Gordon would be another exception to this as well.  And with bye weeks coming up I don't know how many people can afford to sit this guy on their bench to wait see him come around on another team and be productive, which IMO he will have a hard time doing.

I agree with all of this but I never thought he was a great fit with Brady. Most of his completions are quick short routes and he occasionally goes deep. He and Gordon connected a few times for decent gains but never seemed to be on the same page and often times Gordon wouldn’t get a look downfield because Brady already got rid of the ball on a short route.

Just now, bjvance5 said:

wow this aged well. Almost a full 2 hours

To be fair he isn't injured enough to actually be on IR.

33 minutes ago, TheINC said:

The history suggests mid-season WR movement doesn't usually pan out for the WR fantasy-wise (Cooper is the recent exception to this), I honestly wouldn't be holding out hope that Gordon would be another exception to this as well. 

Ironically, I think Gordon’s best case landing spot —Oakland — would basically place him in the same situation that limited Cooper to borderline WR3 status for years. And Cooper is several years younger than Flash.

Really, where can he go? The tanking teams are busy offloading aging talent for draft picks and the contenders are mostly set at WR.

14 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Ironically, I think Gordon’s best case landing spot —Oakland — would basically place him in the same situation that limited Cooper to borderline WR3 status for years. And Cooper is several years younger than Flash.

Really, where can he go? The tanking teams are busy offloading aging talent for draft picks and the contenders are mostly set at WR.

Green Bay?  If he's cleared from IR with an injury settlement they could use JG as a bridge until Adams was truly healthy from his "turf toe" issue (if that's what it is). 

24 minutes ago, jumper said:

Green Bay?  If he's cleared from IR with an injury settlement they could use JG as a bridge until Adams was truly healthy from his "turf toe" issue (if that's what it is). 

Aaron Rodgers throwing to him...

spacer.png

Edited by Deke