DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2019 Outlook

Now hear me out, 

i was a heavy advocate of dropping him weeks ago. Not because he doesn’t have the talent but more because Tom Brady can’t throw deep anymore. He just loves Edelman. 

This might actually be a blessing in disguise. If he’s eligible for another team to pick him up i think he has potential. I honestly feel like the best qb he could go play with would be someone like josh Allen, Daniel Jones, Matt Stanford, maybe even darnold. 

Why?, this qb all have a big arm. When given the chance they like to go deep. 

Disregard darnold and Daniel Jones last games. But I’d love to see JG with a qb that isn’t afraid of throwing Interceptions. All these qb are able to throw deep. All these teams could also use an extra WR. 

Bills, giants, jets and lions. Wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to grab him. I’d definitely keep my eye on Gordon if he was dropped. Not saying he’s a WR2 but his ceiling would be higher than when he was with Tom Brady 

• Like 2

Dallas written all over him maybe texans... 

1 hour ago, FFCollusion said:

I think you're being too short sighted here.  Many others as well.

Look, I understand the landscape of the thread I'm in, where hype or hate are the only options, but allow me to take the middle ground for pure analysis.

According to Rapaport, (I'm too lazy to do the math right now) Josh Gordon started 17 games for the Patriots, and in those 17 games managed a total stat line of 60/1007/4.  Now, I completely agree this isn't 'shining' by any stretch of the word, but let's not pretend that after 6 years off of football, that the equivalent of a 1,000 yard season is a bust or failure.  Let's not pretend that Tom Brady or the Patriots have been churning out stud Fantasy WRs for any length of time, because reality check, they aren't.  Tom Brady is a great real life QB, but over the last 3-5 years, he has been dominating the league with dinks and dunks, that no one has found a way to stop.  Edelman, White, and these 3 yards crossing routes, that fast and shifty players are taking for 10-15 yard chunks on a regular basis.  I'm not trash talking Tom Brady, but I want to be honest about what type of QB he is in regards to the WR fantasy landscape.  Key word fantasy here.  Josh Gordon is not, was not, has never been, and likely never will be, a 5 yard crossing route player.  Josh Gordon made his entire career with a Yard Per Reception average of 18+, using his freak speed (which admittedly appears to be sapped) to dominate and put up highlight film week after week after week, by being force fed the ball from a team that played down 99% of the time.

Edelman has broke 1k yards twice in the last 6 seasons.  To be completely fair, that's highly due to his inability to last 16 games.  James White, Wes Welker, Edelman, Amendola, the list goes on, the Patriots offense runs on the short passing game.  Josh Gordon never really made sense here to me, and I while the hype of Randy Moss and 50TD Tom was tantalizing, the reality was that he was most likely brought here to be a Gronkowski replacement.  Big, Fast, Strong, run up the seam to threaten defenses.  Gronk's best years look awfully similar, in the 70/1100 range.  That's just my opinion.  Josh Gordon running short routes and trying to survive on 90-100 targets, wasn't the role we needed him to be in.  Brandin Cooks, did manage 65/1082/7 in 2017 with the Pats, not far off what Josh Gordon just accomplished in his last 17 game stint, but due to how they were chopped up, I think people aren't seeing the bigger picture.

If I owned Josh Gordon, I am NOT dropping.  He was dropped in 2 of my leagues, and I already put in waivers for him in both.  Patriots traded away Cooks, they bailed on AB, teased Demaryius, and now Josh Gordon.  It's not like the Patriots moving on from a player means anything about that player individually, to me.  It would strike me as odd if the Pats outright cut him (I haven't dug into his contract and pay structure to see if it makes financial sense) but based on how Gordon has handled himself, cleaned up, and performed moderately well, other teams would absolutely be calling.  I would expect them to trade him if at all possible.

However, I want to reiterate.  I don't think Gordon's heart is in football.  When I watch him play, I see very little effort, desire, or enthusiasm.  The problem is, and haters this is your quotable comment for trolling, Josh Gordon, even just going through the motions, is still a WR3 or Flex player in fantasy.  On a team that would feed him, he has legit WR2 in my opinion.  This isn't hype or exaggeration, I'm talking about what I've seen on the field from him and the production it's resulted in.  Josh Gordon doesn't really want to play football in my mind, he just knows that it's the shortest path from A to B to get what he needs in life (money).  I honestly think Gordon is treating football, like an 8-5 job that many of us do.  Go in, do the absolute minimum to stay off anyone's radar, collect that check, and go on with our lives.

It is my personal opinion that Josh Gordon is holdable, pick-up-able, and that if he were to be traded, he will still be fantasy relevant this season.  If he were to be cut, he WOULD get picked up by an NFL team, and not just be relevant, but likely more relevant than he was with the Pats, due to the likelihood of a target increase.

I just don't see playing professional football like working at the DMV where you can hide out and wait to go to lunch.

Josh is insanely talented.  No question.  But his lack of desire to play football and his intense desire to smoke weed are appearing to me at least to make that talent irrelevant.

That guy from 2013 is gone.

• Like 2

Sorry if wrong spot but how are leagues handling pending trades involving JG?

First you guys loved Brady then you hate Brady. Now his situation is going to be so much better with another QB. You guys realize that Gronk was solid with Brady just like Edelman for years now. How long you guys going to stay on this roller coaster for? He’s not the same player. Time to let it go.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

First you guys loved Brady then you hate Brady. Now his situation is going to be so much better with another QB. You guys realize that Gronk was solid with Brady just like Edelman for years now. How long you guys going to stay on this roller coaster for? He’s not the same player. Time to let it go.

Your kind is not welcomed here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The perfect landing spot for him would be Chicago. Think about it...with an offensive guru in nagy and a rocket arm in trubisky, theres no limit to his upside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, pdizzle710 said:

Wouldn't mind him on the araiders as long as his mind, body, and soul are right. 

Waller owners disagree. 

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Waller owners disagree. 

I own Waller too, but am a Raider fan.

1 hour ago, StevenSC400 said:

Playing on a better team and even with a better QB isnt always conducive to better fantasy stats. 2013 was the perfect storm for Gordon. Bad team with nothing to play for, no running game, positive game scripts, narrow passing tree. Laugh all you want at the trio of Weeden/Campbell/Hoyer but they had no problem peppering Gordon and Jordan Cameron with tons of targets that season. Brady was never going to do that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Buffalo...Oakland...I don't know. I can't imagine him being picked up by a better team than that and that's not very good.

Gordon struggled because the Pats O-Line sucked which took away the deep pass which is Gordon's bread and butter...It's been obvious since week 3

5 minutes ago, whatisfootball said:

A team like Philly could really use the receiver help. It seems he's going to be subject to waivers upon release though?

Philly would be a fit. As a Packer fan, I wouldn't say no. I don't see that ever happening, though. 

3 hours ago, thebadferret said:

XFL blockbuster signing.

Only if he goes to the St Louis Battlehawks.  

9 hours ago, IDGAFOS said:

Sorry if wrong spot but how are leagues handling pending trades involving JG?

Are you talking about trades that have already been executed involving him, or trade offers?

For deals that have already been executed and are just pending approval from the league or are in the "vetoable" state, you let all these deals go through. You have to look at the value of the deal when it was initially accepted, not it's current value. Both sides took on a bit of risk when making the deal, and one side lost out. That's just how FF works.

Now if we're looking at trade offers, if you have JG, trade him away. If you don't have JG, don't trade for him. If you have an IR slot or want to take a shot on him being dropped and traded somewhere else, you can stash him. Otherwise, he can be safely dropped. Pretty much like AB right now, other than AB has much greater upside.

Texans

Raiders

Eagles

Cowboys

Bears

Saints

Cardinals

one of those teams: I anticipate the eagles, raiders, and saints as front runners. However, the eagles are looking for help on defense too