Cesare13

Jose Peraza 2019 Outlook

Not getting a lot of love in mocks.  This is a guy that’s decreased his k to B.B. ratio 3 years in a row while decreasing his ground ball rate those 3 years.  His hard hit rate has also increased.  His metrics suggest that the power is sustainable if not room for a little improvement.  Reds lineup should be improved, great home park, and the guy had 2 60+ steal seasons in the minors. He’s just heading into his prime.  I can’t understand why he’s being taken in like round 8......but that’s why I come here.

Edited by Cesare13

Still hardly walks. Most people feel he won't hit 14 HR again. SBs haven't come close to his minors so expecting more than 25+ probably isn't reasonable. SS is as deep as it's ever been. I see a line of 10hr/25sbs .290/.320. Depending on how improved the lineup is if he can walk more and get on base 90+ runs is impossible. I think that value is right about where he should be going. 

Without naming names, Reds manager David Bell said Wednesday that he'd like to have one of his best hitters batting second.

That seems like bad news for Jose Peraza. It's assumed that Bell is leaning towards having Jesse Winker lead off, and instead of going with the old common practice of batting a fast guy second, it sounds like he's willing to put Joey Votto or Eugenio Suarez there. Peraza took a nice step forward last year, but it still resulted in only a .326 OBP. If he's batting towards the bottom of the order, as might be the current plan, his fantasy value would take quite a hit.

What's the consensus on this guy now that it seems he will be dropping in the order?  Roster resource already has him hitting seventh.  I see his runs and steals taking a huge hit, with maybe a few more RBI.  Not good for those of us who own Peraza.

Edited by damana
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 2:13 PM, damana said:

Without naming names, Reds manager David Bell said Wednesday that he'd like to have one of his best hitters batting second.

That seems like bad news for Jose Peraza. It's assumed that Bell is leaning towards having Jesse Winker lead off, and instead of going with the old common practice of batting a fast guy second, it sounds like he's willing to put Joey Votto or Eugenio Suarez there. Peraza took a nice step forward last year, but it still resulted in only a .326 OBP. If he's batting towards the bottom of the order, as might be the current plan, his fantasy value would take quite a hit.

What's the consensus on this guy now that it seems he will be dropping in the order?  Roster resource already has him hitting seventh.  I see his runs and steals taking a huge hit, with maybe a few more RBI.  Not good for those of us who own Peraza.

That may be their plan right now but how often does any team's plan stick for an entire summer? If Peraza produces he will force them to put his name atop of the lineup card!

Any chance Jose gets ops in the OF sooner rather than later?

25 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

No

Cincy has a crowded OF as it is without adding Peraza to the mix

23 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

I believe he moves to 2B with Scooter Gennett's groin injury, which works out really well for Peraza owners.

8 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I believe he moves to 2B with Scooter Gennett's groin injury, which works out really well for Peraza owners.

Unless you already own Cano and Dozier lol

Just though maybe by late May he might get 5 starts out there and help me out

On 3/25/2019 at 5:26 AM, daethfromabove1979 said:

He does and already 6 game played/2 started at 2B (need 10 played or 5 started to gain eligibility in yahoo). 

With Muncy as everyday 2B on my team, but not-everyday on Dave Roberts' Dodgers, this is an unexpected but welcomed wrinkle in my roster. 

For those of you who bought into Peraza, how are you feeling? I thought he was fairly underrated going into my draft but I’m a bit worried about his slow start and position lower in the Reds order. Segura, a similar hitter, saw a breakout years ago and then disappeared for a bit before becoming the player he is now.

Still early for him - he's earned a long leash and with Gennett/Senzel injuries he'll have time to get back on track....if dropped id pick him up...when he heats up he's a nice MI

43 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

For those of you who bought into Peraza, how are you feeling? I thought he was fairly underrated going into my draft but I’m a bit worried about his slow start and position lower in the Reds order. Segura, a similar hitter, saw a breakout years ago and then disappeared for a bit before becoming the player he is now.

I think it’s my fault. When he came up in 2016 I thought he’d be overmatched and ignored everywhere just to watch him hit .324 and steal 21 bags. I bought in with lots of shares in 2017 to see him bust big time. Last year I was resentful and ignored him again and missed out on a solid year. This year he was one of my favorite targets and it’s dudsville again. But really, it’s early and most of that lineup has been slow out of the gates. I’m not too concerned.

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

I think it’s my fault. When he came up in 2016 I thought he’d be overmatched and ignored everywhere just to watch him hit .324 and steal 21 bags. I bought in with lots of shares in 2017 to see him bust big time. Last year I was resentful and ignored him again and missed out on a solid year. This year he was one of my favorite targets and it’s dudsville again. But really, it’s early and most of that lineup has been slow out of the gates. I’m not too concerned.

It is a shame he’s having to get comfortable defensively. I wonder if that’s playing a factor. I know he’s played second before but he spent all of spring training at SS also.

What a dumpster fire of a start to the season. 49 plate appearances and he has yet to draw a walk. K rate has increased from 11.0% last year to 28.6% this year. Chase rate has increased from 35% last year to 50% this year. Swinging strike rate has more than doubled from 6.0% to 12.6%. He’s going to find himself riding the pine and maybe even demoted. Color me concerned now.

7 minutes ago, meh2 said:

What a dumpster fire of a start to the season. 49 plate appearances and he has yet to draw a walk. K rate has increased from 11.0% last year to 28.6% this year. Chase rate has increased from 35% last year to 50% this year. Swinging strike rate has more than doubled from 6.0% to 12.6%. He’s going to find himself riding the pine and maybe even demoted. Color me concerned now.

I dropped him (12 team league). I think he'll bouneback at some point, later this summer or next year, but for now, the chance he not only duplicates last year's numbers but surpasses them is very slim. He's batting towards the end of the order, and manager David Bell has no reason to believe he should move up it, since he was not with the Reds last season when Peraza broke out. I drafted him with the hope he could evolve even further as a hitter, but I'm worried he might be taking a step back.

12 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Yeah he is very close to droppable after this awful start, I thought I was getting a steal at 120 ADP, he usually has great plate discipline and was a joy to own last year but his current numbers are very bad. Seems like his steals are likely going to max out at 20 which just isn't enough to make him relevant if he isn't showing any power or average. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 1:03 PM, daethfromabove1979 said:

Yeah he is very close to droppable after this awful start, I thought I was getting a steal at 120 ADP, he usually has great plate discipline and was a joy to own last year but his current numbers are very bad. Seems like his steals are likely going to max out at 20 which just isn't enough to make him relevant if he isn't showing any power or average. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

A bit worried since Gennett will eventually come back and Senzel lurks as well. There's some time before either likely occur, but it seems Peraza's already being squeezed a little by guys like Dietrich and Iglesias. Not a ton, but enough to be frustrating. And Peraza's margins are slim. He's a better fantasy player than real life player, as his OBP tends to be poor unless running a high BABIP and his fielding really isn't anything great. If the power's gone AWOL again, he's not actually doing that much in real life. He's still probably got a month or more before anything significant happens, but it's not a great situation to be in.

• Like 1

Not in the lineup again. 

Has he already lost his job? 

David Bell is in over his head btw.

At this point I’d rather them send him to the minors to fix whatever the hell is wrong with his swing and or plate approach. 

31 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

keeping him for another month.

If you can afford to, by all means.  The brutal start pretty much eliminates all trade possibilities though. Even a hot streak would likely look like just a streak to potential trade partners.  For reference,he’s sitting on my waiver wire for about 2 weeks or so in what i consider a knowledgeable and competetive 12 teamer.

3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

If you can afford to, by all means.  The brutal start pretty much eliminates all trade possibilities though. Even a hot streak would likely look like just a streak to potential trade partners.  For reference,he’s sitting on my waiver wire for about 2 weeks or so in what i consider a knowledgeable and competetive 12 teamer.

Same here.  Just have to cut your losses, Reds aren't very promising, weak lineup.

He's hitting .333 in the last week and actually batted leadoff last night.  So just maybe he's waking up.  I picked him up last night, so fingers crossed.