Motown_Magic

Jack Flaherty 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Remember the "the Cardinals are a great organization for young pitchers" thing. No ? Me either. It was a long time ago, Flahtery, Weaver, Reyes, Cmart, Miller. A lot of young arms that have fallen short of expectations. Obviously Flahtery is still young and has a long career ahead of him but cmon. They need to bring back Dave Duncan.

2 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Remember the "the Cardinals are a great organization for young pitchers" thing. No ? Me either. It was a long time ago, Flahtery, Weaver, Reyes, Cmart, Miller. A lot of young arms that have fallen short of expectations. Obviously Flahtery is still young and has a long career ahead of him but cmon. They need to bring back Dave Duncan.

The Pirates say 'hold my beer' ;)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

he is like chris Archer. over a strikeout per inning but who cares when you get shelled.

He is much better than Archer.

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

The Pirates say 'hold my beer' ;)

The Pirates? They are horrifying at developing pitching...

Sorry if I misinterpreted your sarcasm...

Can someone look up the numbers with the fastball?  It looks like a below average pitch that he has difficulty locating.  He needs to throw the curveball more.

4 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

The Pirates? They are horrifying at developing pitching...

Sorry if I misinterpreted your sarcasm...

That was his point

• Thanks 1

I sold Flaherty a while ago.  I just don't like what I've seen from him this year.  Mike Maddux is very overrated.  Highly overrated.  Whatever he is doing clearly is not working.  Maybe it's time to give Dernier Orozco a promotion and give Maddux his walking papers.

What’s definition of destroyed?

7IP

SUB 1 WHIP

3 ER

8:1 K:BB

Can we please have a definition of “destroyed.”

Thank you.  Appreciated.  Much obliged. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So is this guy terrible now?  

16 minutes ago, B&F said:

So is this guy terrible now?  

Depends on your league. In a 65-teamer, a 13.50 ERA outing is pretty solid.

• Haha 6

Still has a 10K/9, Problem is he only goes like 5.1

14 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Still has a 10K/9, Problem is he only goes like 5.1

his real problem is those tough innings. He seems to be cruising every game but when he gets into a jam he never gets out un scathed. 

• Like 1

what the hell are we supposed to do with this guy

• Like 1

Part of his problem might be he needs a better third pitch.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tuesdays said:

what the hell are we supposed to do with this guy

I traded him.  Feel better already.

JAG, he sucks, same thing happened to him as Luke Weaver, decent half year and bust city the next

I dropped this guy last year and regretted it the whole 2nd half of the season. I also made sure I drafted him this year, and now this? I don't want to make the same mistake twice, but he's definitely been frustrating.  At least the peripherals look ok, but still, that only means so much.  I notice most of the fantasy sites, including Rotoworld are still telling people to buy low.

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2019 at 8:44 AM, azeri98 said:

JAG, he sucks, same thing happened to him as Luke Weaver, decent half year and bust city the next

He's not JAG, he's got the 19th highest swinging strike rate out of 81 qualified pitchers.  He's just too reliant on his fastball this year which he's throwing 49% of the time compared to ~40% in '18 and '17. That's a big jump. He throws a slider 26% of the time, his curve 12%, and a sinker 10% and the curve looks a lot like his slider. He throws a change up just 3% and it's all over the place.

I have to imagine his issue with not getting deep into games and the long ball (20% HR/FB rate) is his lack of a true 3rd pitch because what he's essentially got right now is a 4-seamer and a visually similar breaking ball ~87% of the time. Hitters can sit on the fastball and by the 3rd time through the order hitters have seen all he's got. He either needs to further develop his change up or try to further distinguish his 4-seamer from his sinker by elevating it more often.

Edited by sportsfreak2744
Grammar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

He's not JAG, he's got the 19th highest swinging strike rate out of 81 qualified pitchers.  He's just too reliant on his fastball this year which he's throwing 49% of the time compared to ~40% in '18 and '17. That's a big jump. He throws a slider 26% of the time, his curve 12%, and a sinker 10% and the curve looks a lot like his slider. He throws a change up just 3% and it's all over the place.

I have to imagine his issue with not getting deep into games and the long ball (20% HR/FB rate) is his lack of a true 3rd pitch because what he's essentially got right now is a 4-seamer and a visually similar breaking ball ~87% of the time. Hitters can sit on the fastball and by the 3rd time through the order hitters have seen all he's got. He either needs to further develop his change up or try to further distinguish his 4-seamer from his sinker by elevating it more often.

Ok his swing strike rate is  high, in every other cat he's a JAG

On 6/26/2019 at 5:44 AM, azeri98 said:

weaver was actually solid again this year (barring the injury) once he got away from the cards....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

How did he manage to succeed last year?  First time owner and someone back into baseball this year.   I thought he had a 4 pitch arsenal and got by with mixing it up.  Your description sounds like Tony Cingrani.  I'm not arguing, I've barely seen him pitch, but dang, that sounds scary.

17 hours ago, Sternes said:

How did he manage to succeed last year?  First time owner and someone back into baseball this year.   I thought he had a 4 pitch arsenal and got by with mixing it up.  Your description sounds like Tony Cingrani.  I'm not arguing, I've barely seen him pitch, but dang, that sounds scary.

Throwing his slider and sinker each about 4-5% less and his 4 seamer 9% more.

Pitch usage by year ('18/'19):

Fastball (40% / 49%)

Slider (30% / 26%)

Sinker (16% / 11%)

Curve (11% / 12%)

Change (3% / 3%)

• Like 2