Motown_Magic

Jack Flaherty 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Traded this guy in my dynasty league for a good return and I couldn't be happier to rid of the headache.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Throwing his slider and sinker each about 4-5% less and his 4 seamer 9% more.

Pitch usage by year ('18/'19):

Fastball (40% / 49%)

Slider (30% / 26%)

Sinker (16% / 11%)

Curve (11% / 12%)

Change (3% / 3%)

This is kinda surprising, and not really a good thing, since by all accounts last year (and I owned him everywhere) his fastball wasn't a particularly good pitch for him.   In terms of its quality that is.

Edited by dicka24

6 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

This is kinda surprising, and not really a good thing, since by all accounts last year (and I owned him everywhere) his fastball wasn't a particularly good pitch for him.   In terms of its quality that is.

Yea I'm really not sure why he is going to it so often, but I did find this (I've pulled all this from statcast):

Pitch Type - BA / xBA - SLG / xSLG

Slider - .271/.226 - .531/.392

4Seam - .228/.253 - .433/.447

So hitters are really overperforming against his slider and underperforming against his fastball.  His slider has a 45% whiff rate and for context, Trevor Bauer's slider sits at 44%. It's a great pitch, and maybe his unluckiness with it so far has gotten him away from it.

• Like 1

This guy is so lost right now

he is at the giants next......do we give him one more start or do we drop>?

32 minutes ago, David Aames said:

he is at the giants next......do we give him one more start or do we drop>?

if he can't pitch well vs the Giants line up  then he needs to go to the minors till he figures out how to get Major Lg Hitters out.

17 minutes ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

if he can't pitch well vs the Giants line up  then he needs to go to the minors till he figures out how to get Major Lg Hitters out.

Is he going to figure that out in the minors? No, he isn’t. He needs MLB innings to work through some bumps. It’s ridiculous that people expect a 22 year old to not endure any hiccups in their progression path.

He’s going to be fine.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Is he going to figure that out in the minors? No, he isn’t. He needs MLB innings to work through some bumps. It’s ridiculous that people expect a 22 year old to not endure any hiccups in their progression path.

He’s going to be fine.

he is going to be fine this year????? do you really think that? or are u talking about as a future pitcher in the bigs? I only care about this year haha

Lucas Giolito is a stud and Jack Flaherty is a dud. 

Who would have predicted this to begin this season? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Aames said:

he is going to be fine this year????? do you really think that? or are u talking about as a future pitcher in the bigs? I only care about this year haha

I agree I am not so sure he is going to be FINE.  Getting lit up every start don;t make a pitcher Fine. it makes them a mental case wodering why he can;t get his pitches over the plate without them getting hit 400 ft .

Good news is he threw 45 breaking balls (28 sliders and 17 curves) last night which is more than he has typically been this season (see my earlier posts). 

Bad news is he got all of 5 whiffs on them and just 12 called strikes.  So just 17/45 (37%) breaking balls going for strikes last night.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Not worth rostering in 12-team leagues. 

Not startable, but certainly roster worthy. Many people wrote off Zack Wheeler around this time last year too. 

I agree with that, im in a 12

team keeper league. Have him @ 20th round value. He is one inning away from being great, unfortunately that one inning is always bad. I’m hanging tight. 

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Not worth rostering in 12-team leagues. 

the cupboard is pretty bare pitching wise in 12 team leagues. i would love to be able to drop him, but there just isnt anything out there worth replacing him with...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Not startable, but certainly roster worthy. Many people wrote off Zack Wheeler around this time last year too. 

Wheeler is better. Flaherty is a 2-pitch pitcher. When he's off, he doesn't have that third pitch to fall back on.

It all depends on how many pitchers you roster. On my team, all of my pitchers are better than Flaherty. In a deeper league, he needs to be planted firmly on the bench until he learns how to not serve up so many meatballs.

• Like 1

Man, I'm so glad I traded this guy before it was too late.  I feel like he's going to be really good eventually, but I don't know about that happening this year.

You can't even start him against the Giants with the way things have been going. He's on my bench in a 12-team redraft until things start to turn around. Perhaps the break allows him to get his head in a good place and find some answers to his performance issues. 

On 6/28/2019 at 10:18 AM, sportsfreak2744 said:

Yea I'm really not sure why he is going to it so often, but I did find this (I've pulled all this from statcast):

Pitch Type - BA / xBA - SLG / xSLG

Slider - .271/.226 - .531/.392

4Seam - .228/.253 - .433/.447

So hitters are really overperforming against his slider and underperforming against his fastball.  His slider has a 45% whiff rate and for context, Trevor Bauer's slider sits at 44%. It's a great pitch, and maybe his unluckiness with it so far has gotten him away from it.

Slider - it's nasty when he finishes it but he just randomly hangs one and when it does it's getting crushed. 

10 hours ago, Homerj24 said:

You can't even start him against the Giants with the way things have been going. He's on my bench in a 12-team redraft until things start to turn around. Perhaps the break allows him to get his head in a good place and find some answers to his performance issues. 

Easy start against Giants.  Another strong buy.  Good pedigree, good organization.  Tough league, NL really good this year.  Won’t be a full bounce back.  But still will salvage season.  Start against Giants though, no doubt.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Homerj24 said:

IF you can;t start him Vs The Giants you might has well drop him. They are 3rd lowest in total runs scored with only the marlins and the tigers behind them and SF is one of the better pitchers parks in baseball with the fewests HRS hit there. I have him on my team and I am expecting a well pitched game at least not a game where he gets obliterated in 3 innings and he is gone. QS win 6 ks nice and easy

Edited by Trexpenniebaker

Did carry a no hitter Sunday vs the Giants into the 7th before giving up a solo shot to Longoria. Encouraging start even if it was against the Giants.

1 hour ago, strahanfan92 said:

Did carry a no hitter Sunday vs the Giants into the 7th before giving up a solo shot to Longoria. Encouraging start even if it was against the Giants.

Nahh, he’s still hot garbage 

7 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Nahh, he’s still hot garbage 

If he's "hot garbage" then there's what? 20 useable pitchers in all of fantasy baseball?

Do your league mates a favour and drop him. 

• Like 3