Motown_Magic

Jack Flaherty 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

10 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I think y'all are overthinking this.  Roto rankings of pitchers over 30 days are virtually meaningless.  The amount of noise that comes with opponent matchups and the luck associated with the W category drowns out almost all of the signal.  Batters at least play most everyday, so the chances they play 25-30 games all against weak opponents are low.  Starters can, depending on how they line up, entirely miss the tough opponents.  Meanwhile the W category represents 25% of their production, and because wins are so scarce, just 2 of them in a month can push them way past much better pitchers who happened not to get their wins in that particular 30 game sample.

With that said: Flaherty is certainly better than an SP5/6, not because he's great -- he's not -- but because there's not many better pitchers to put ahead of him in this hostile pitching environment.  I'm sure we can all cherry-pick some names ranked below him on PitcherList's latest top 100 that we'd put ahead of him, but can you find 30 or 40 of those names?  I certainly can't.  Just because you wouldn't feel good about him as your SP3/4 doesn't mean he's an SP5/6.  It may just mean that there's not that much good pitching out there, and what talent is out there isn't evenly distributed in your league.

I believe he can be a solid 2 behind a guy like 'Cole' in fantasy

• Like 1

Who is this guy and what did he do with Bust Flaherty from the first half?

9 minutes ago, mike11 said:

glad i didnt drop.  i was very high on him.  hopefully he helps big time in the playoffs in h2h

8 minutes ago, mike11 said:

His underlying stats were great the first half. He was just very unlucky. He was a predictable second half bounce-back pitcher.  

I agree, it’s not like I ever considered dropping. He just looks like Scherzer out there right now and I’m wondering if he stop his magic a la space jam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbill2004 said:

His underlying stats were great the first half. He was just very unlucky. He was a predictable second half bounce-back pitcher.  

What I noticed most from the first half is that he would be cruising along and it always seemed that there was a single inning that would be terrible. Aside from that one inning he looked like a bonafide ace. I think if you could remove one inning from each of his starts his ERA would be in the low-to-mid 2's

I watched the streaming broadcast on mlb yesterday against the dodgers and they were saying that he has transformed in his aggressiveness.  Before, he would be great at getting ahead and then he'd start nibbling, trying to get guys to chase to much.  Now he just goes after them and challenges them which sets up his other stuff better.  You could see it play out as the announcers were describing.  

The results speak for themselves the last few games.  He's become almost matchup proof. 

Too bad CMart blew the win.  

Posted (edited)

outside awful june he has 3.5 months of overall consistent month to month production

6 second half starts hes the best sp in baseball 

hope people go off his overall stats for 2020

had to wait till he got out of 6 inn jam to post this. almost jinxed him

Edited by colepenhagen

Looks like an ace to me.  Was hoping his cost would have a little bit of value next season but it looks like his price will be close to an ace.

man I feel sorry for those that drafted and dropped thinking they had luke weaver 2.0

• Like 1

In his last 9 starts he's allowed more than 3 hits twice!  Gone 7 IP in five of them...and had 70 strikeouts in those 56 innings. Possessed right now.

• Like 1

I’m not here to say I saw this coming. I come a day away from dropping him, but man I’m glad I held. This dude is untouchable right now, I think I’ll be coming back for more next season. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 9:26 AM, colepenhagen said:

man I feel sorry for those that drafted and dropped thinking they had luke weaver 2.0

I drafted both this year. If only Weaver was able to stay healthy.

That stat blinkfan77 highlighted of only giving up more than 3 hits twice in his last 9 starts is insane.

• Like 1

hes been maybe the best pitcher in baseball for the last 3 months

wow! gonna be all over him again next year.  i almost lost hope too...

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 10:02 AM, svtballa said:

whats this guys dynasty outlook??

amazing

God hes been so good since June.  Anyone feeling comfortable with him as an SP1 next year?

10 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

amazing

God hes been so good since June.  Anyone feeling comfortable with him as an SP1 next year?

I would.  He is an ace.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, B&F said:

I would.  He is an ace.

same.  ill probably do my usual and skip SP in the first 3 or 4 rounds next year and aim for a Flaherty/Snell bounce back as my SP1

Edited by jfazz23

Nothing much to say any more about this guy.  

This guy has a 0.97 ERA after the All-Star Break. That is insane. The best pitcher in baseball as of this moment. 

• Like 1

Just now, Willsea33 said:

This guy has a 0.97 ERA after the All-Star Break. That is insane. The best pitcher in baseball as of this moment. 

Won’t win Cy Young but probably ends up top 3.  Hell of a season.  Always had elite stuff, just took a few months for it to all click.  

On 7/26/2019 at 1:07 PM, B&F said:

I'll be targeting him next season.  I won't pay much though.

Not targeting you at all, so don’t be offended.  Just crazy how fast things can change though.  At end of July this guy was viewed as a mega bust now he’s likely finishing top 3 in NL Cy Young and will be a top 10 drafted SP next year.  Just goes to show it’s never too late to salvage a season if you have high end talent.

• Like 1