Ecofolux

Giancarlo Stanton 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

On 6/27/2019 at 1:30 PM, papasmurf said:

Like I said, if you had Stanton at 1 HR this year, you win $1 M.

Him coming back this year at all is 50/50.

Dude needs to adjust his work out regimen. I saw some of his IG workout media, it's nuts. No need for a baseball player to get overjacked like that.

So...how much is the payout on this bet?

Man can I dream of Stanton getting hot these last two weeks and leading me to a title in the H2H playoffs? Hope a few of you other guys are still around with him on your roster. Brutal season but he could avenge it all for us with a hot two weeks(kind of)

21 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

Man can I dream of Stanton getting hot these last two weeks and leading me to a title in the H2H playoffs? Hope a few of you other guys are still around with him on your roster. Brutal season but he could avenge it all for us with a hot two weeks(kind of)

I have him but he will only be available for 1/4 of our championship round. One can hope, though!

2 hours ago, Ace_King said:

I have him but he will only be available for 1/4 of our championship round. One can hope, though!

Yeah didnt do much today. I take it you wont have him next week but hopefully he can crank us some HRs over the weekend. With all the injuries this season would be nice! 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 4:22 PM, BMcP said:

So...how much is the payout on this bet?

If 3 homers from Stanton gives you pleasure, good for you.

5 hours ago, papasmurf said:

If 3 homers from Stanton gives you pleasure, good for you.

It pleasures me to know I beat the odds!  The one-homer bettors didn’t cash in!

(Also to have him ready for the playoffs.)

DTD again. Gotta wonder if it's all downhill from here.

Dude's so muscular and doesn't look flexible.

12 hours ago, papasmurf said:

DTD again. Gotta wonder if it's all downhill from here.

Dude's so muscular and doesn't look flexible.

could be a huge mistake by cashman if this is the case

Out of Game 3.

Not good.

Really gotta think long and hard whether to keep him. Can't stay on the field for even 50 games.

8 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Out of Game 3.

Not good.

Really gotta think long and hard whether to keep him. Can't stay on the field for even 50 games.

Easy do not touch.  Guy sat out an entire season and can’t even come back and play a few weeks worth of games before shutting down again.

14 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Easy do not touch.  Guy sat out an entire season and can’t even come back and play a few weeks worth of games before shutting down again.

Pathetic!

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Obviously depends on the cost.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/14/reggie-jacksons-angry-f-k-rant-accidentally-reaches-giancarlo-stanton/

Reggie Jackson didn’t think he was talking into a live radio mic prior to Sunday’s Game 2 of the Yankees-Astros ALCS series at Minute Maid Park.

And when he found out differently, he delivered an apology to Giancarlo Stanton.

Asked about Stanton not being in the starting lineup due to a right quadriceps problem he sustained running to first base in Game 1 Saturday night, Jackson used some salty language while being interviewed by SiriusXM host Jim Bowden.

“Thinking it can’t go on the air with the swear words, I said, ‘F–k, he has missed 150 freakin’ games, so what the f–k,'” Jackson said. “I almost choked when they said they were live. I immediately spoke to Jason Zillo [Yankees PR head] and he advised I go in and talk to Stanton, which I did. He graciously accepted my faux pas.’’

• Like 1

6 hours ago, papasmurf said:

https://nypost.com/2019/10/14/reggie-jacksons-angry-f-k-rant-accidentally-reaches-giancarlo-stanton/

Reggie Jackson didn’t think he was talking into a live radio mic prior to Sunday’s Game 2 of the Yankees-Astros ALCS series at Minute Maid Park.

And when he found out differently, he delivered an apology to Giancarlo Stanton.

Asked about Stanton not being in the starting lineup due to a right quadriceps problem he sustained running to first base in Game 1 Saturday night, Jackson used some salty language while being interviewed by SiriusXM host Jim Bowden.

“Thinking it can’t go on the air with the swear words, I said, ‘F–k, he has missed 150 freakin’ games, so what the f–k,'” Jackson said. “I almost choked when they said they were live. I immediately spoke to Jason Zillo [Yankees PR head] and he advised I go in and talk to Stanton, which I did. He graciously accepted my faux pas.’’

Why would they expect Reggie to react any differently then any other Yankee fan?  That he used some foul language...big deal.  Stanton is likely to have heard and continue to hear far worse at the Stadium from the fans who are beginning to believe this guy is the new hitting version of Carl Pavano lol.

20 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Yup.  I would venture to guess that if the Yanks could unload the guy while not having to eat a majority of the contract, they actually might consider it at some point if this continues into next year.  Would not touch the guy in a fantasy draft unless he falls into the 100+ range overall (and he likely goes much higher).  He is not worth sacrificing a decent player for at this point.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 3:03 PM, papasmurf said:

Out of Game 3.

Not good.

this is nothing new.  cashman reverted to his old mindset with this acquisition.  move him for dirt and get rid of the headache that is a one dimensional oft injured DH.

46 minutes ago, IDGAFOS said:

this is nothing new.  cashman reverted to his old mindset with this acquisition.  move him for dirt and get rid of the headache that is a one dimensional oft injured DH.

Not realistic for 2020 given how much money he is owed.  Best case is you hope he comes back in 2020, does reasonably well to at least the level of what he did in 2018 and then you deal him eating part of his contract in the process and hopefully getting something decent in return.  With what they owe him, trading him now is just going to a fool's bet imo.

Stanton's contract:

2019: $26 million
2020: $26 million
2021: $29 million
2022: $29 million
2023: $32 million
2024: $32 million
2025: $32 million
2026: $29 million
2027: $25 million
2028: $25 million club option ($10 million buyout)

Who on earth would trade for him even if the Yankees kicked in some money on it?  That contract is the very definition of the word albatross.  You couldn't give him away to another club let alone "move him for dirt."  Nope, the Yankees will be stuck with him like they were with Ellsbury.

They aren't alone with these horrible, mega-bucks, mega-year long term deals.  Lord knows my Sox have made a mess of them too.  But this (Stanton) is New York's horrible long term deal to be saddled with for years to come.  No one is going to help them out of it.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Stanton's contract:

2019: $26 million
2020: $26 million
2021: $29 million
2022: $29 million
2023: $32 million
2024: $32 million
2025: $32 million
2026: $29 million
2027: $25 million
2028: $25 million club option ($10 million buyout)

Who on earth would trade for him even if the Yankees kicked in some money on it?  That contract is the very definition of the word albatross.  You couldn't give him away to another club let alone "move him for dirt."  Nope, the Yankees will be stuck with him like they were with Ellsbury.

They aren't alone with these horrible, mega-bucks, mega-year long term deals.  Lord knows my Sox have made a mess of them too.  But this (Stanton) is New York's horrible long term deal to be saddled with for years to come.  No one is going to help them out of it.

miami is paying 30 mil towards the end. but still, i agree.  hes un tradeable and isnt going anywhere.  although im not fully convince hes that bad.  he was 38/100 last year with judge and sanchez out and carrying the team.

it wouldnt shock me if he plays 135-145 games next year and hits 40 dongs.  might actually be a good buy low candidate next year.

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

Can someone tl;dr me on why people think Stanton is injury prone and that this is the beginning of the end and not that it was a fluke?  Going from 2011

*this disaster of a year

It seems like in 6/9 of his seasons, he's hit 500+ At Bats, which is more than enough for 35 HRs with his power.   Is there a particular reason why we think this injury is reacurring or w/e?

4 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Can someone tl;dr me on why people think Stanton is injury prone and that this is the beginning of the end and not that it was a fluke?  Going from 2011

*this disaster of a year

It seems like in 6/9 of his seasons, he's hit 500+ At Bats, which is more than enough for 35 HRs with his power.   Is there a particular reason why we think this injury is reacurring or w/e?

3/5 seasons he has played less than 120 games.  Seemed like with him, a lot of times there are two issues.  One is that the injuries are not clear sometimes where its not like "torn ACL" its soft tissue strains and sprains that seem to be vague at times and secondly is that the recovery for him, at least the narrative is that he tends to take longer to get back from these injuries. .  

You could also say he's only played a full season 4 of the last 9 years too. So that is probably where that comes from. That he has enough power to have value in 110-120 games does not erase a fact about injury history.  Not sure why a 470 AB season is counted differently then a 501 AB season.

It does mean you should not be too afraid to draft him next year. He only needs 110-120 to bring value with his power. Presuming his ADP will be more affordable next year after this abortion season.

• Like 1