Ecofolux

Giancarlo Stanton 2019 Outlook

15 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

He got paid 25 MM last year, gets 26 this year and is 29 years old... gets 26 in 2020. He can opt out after 2020, if he does not, the Marlins pay the Yanks 30 million.

The rest of the deal starting in 2021 pays 29, 29, 32, 32, 32, 29, 25, then a team option for 25.

He's been worth every penny so far. The structure of the deal accounts for payroll inflation and eventual decline. Maybe it goes belly up in the future, but as of now it's been a good deal.

Based upon his skills and performance I think he would possibly get even more than this on an open market -- but we'll see what Harper and Machado sign for, two players he's been more productive than. 

Jeter got virtually nothing for him.

I've never seen such disgust for a 102/38/100 season.

It’s not a good deal and he wouldn’t go for more on this open market.  If he was FA right now he’d be sitting on the sidelines waiting with Harper and Machado and whining about not being paid.  The whole economics of baseball has changed.  Look at Nelson Cruz coming off another 37/100/.850 OPS season and could only secure a one year 14 million dollar deal.  DH’s with a can hit the ball far skill set will continue to see their value erode, at least until the next CBA is negotiated.  Derek Jeter deserves executive of the year for unloading this deal.  

As for his fantasy outlook I don’t disagree with you and Brock, the numbers will ultimately be there, which is really all we care about at the end of the day.  It was more so just from a real life perspective.  I don’t enjoy watching him hit.  I watched a ton of Yankee games last year and he’s such a waste in pressure situations.  Just uncompetitive at bat after uncompetitive at bat.  But homers off Chris Tillman’s of the world all count the same.  I just don’t see Yankees winning many playoff series with him occupying a high slot which is ultimately all that matters to Yankee fans at the end of the day.  

Edited by Cmilne23

8 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

he wouldn’t go for more on this open market. 

I agree with you here , but only because the owners are colluding.

The deal is fine currently. It's neither good or bad, it's fair. The problem here is fans have been conditioned to only think a deal is good when billionaire owners are able to further exploit players from their true worth. It's sad. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

I agree with you here , but only because the owners are colluding.

When is the next CBA up?  I imagine there’s going to be a lengthy holdout.  It’s strange the bubble burst so quickly with tv revenues what they’re.  Baseball needs some wholesale changes.  About 70% of the league this year goes into spring training with zero hope of making playoffs.  The competitive balance is far off.  Just a few years ago the NBA MADE teams make awful financial decisions with the influx in tv revenue cash.  I imagine the players association will be fighting for something similar here.

6 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Just a few years ago the NBA MADE teams make awful financial decisions with the influx in tv revenue cash.  

Lebron James is worth close to 100 million a year for everything he adds to the team, interest etc. He gets like under 30 million. Allow me to not care at all if Loul Deng got overpaid.  The NBA is doing great.  I don't think it's wise to view t he state of a sport based on some overpaid contracts, there are plenty of underpaid ones too.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Lebron James is worth close to 100 million a year for everything he adds to the team, interest etc. He gets like under 30 million. Allow me to not care at all if Loul Deng got overpaid. 

Deng, Tyler Johnson, Mosgov etc.  Criminal they got paid.  I don’t necessarily agree with that nba business model.  That was just an awful FA class that offseason.  Making teams make terrible financial decisions isn’t a great solution either.  

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 10:11 AM, itslarry said:

Hai master stroke is counter balanced by the yelich trade.

Huh? It’s way too early to rate and please don’t overrate Yelich‘s career year. 

He looked extremely locked in this spring. Judge gets all the hype but Stanton in his second year in pinstripes will put up some monster numbers health permitting. I really like his chances for a 50 homer season. 

• Like 1

Apparently he’s a creature of habit to an extreme OCD level. Now that he has a year under his belt in pinstripes and has a lay of the land so to speak I’m expecting an MVP type season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This guy is going to rue his decision to force a trade to the Yankees.

Until or he goes full Carlos Beltran 2004 Houston Astros the rank and file Yankees fans and media will always pick on him, mark my words.

Given his situation he’s easy to bully.

2 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

This guy is going to rue his decision to force a trade to the Yankees.

Until or he goes full Carlos Beltran 2004 Houston Astros the rank and file Yankees fans and media will always pick on him, mark my words.

Given his situation he’s easy to bully.

Nope Yankees fans don't "pick on" their players.  I'm not sure where you got this from. NY media can be tough on struggling players but Stanton handled it incredibly well.  He showed he c handle it, he never ran from it.  He stood at his locker after every game and answered all their questions.  That will get him in the good graces of the sports writers.

• Like 2

As a Yankee fan I freely admit to never warming up to Arod. I don’t have that same kind of animus for Stanton and actually embrace him as a player now. And that’s with being against acquiring him in the first place.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

He looked extremely locked in this spring. Judge gets all the hype but Stanton in his second year in pinstripes will put up some monster numbers health permitting. I really like his chances for a 50 homer season. 

ya he looks good.  guy could stumble into 40 homers.  might have 2x 50 homer players this year, especially with the soft pitching of toronto and baltimore, and even tampa after the top and boston bullpen

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

ya he looks good.  guy could stumble into 40 homers.  might have 2x 50 homer players this year, especially with the soft pitching of toronto and baltimore, and even tampa after the top and boston bullpen

oh and let me clarify.  the two players i was talking about were Voit and Bird

im sure stanton will do fine as well

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, whitekenyan24 said:

Not his throwing arm so how long does a player take to come back from that?

Miguel did it last year I think he missed a few weeks.  But then he proceeded to return and tear/rupture it and be done for season.  So hopefully that does not happen here.

• Haha 1