Ecofolux

Giancarlo Stanton 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Dude is always banged up with something so this can't be a surprise

Huh? Pretty sure he just went the last two seasons without a DL stint.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.

Edited by lbjames6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

What player might benefit

could it be Greg Bird to the rescue 

they recalled clint frazier...FWIW

Just now, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

they recalled clint frazier...FWIW

Frazier most likely gets the OF time until Hicks comes back soon. In the mean time I think Bird has every chance to grab hold of the everyday 1B job until Stanton comes back. 

Looking up Biceps strain recovery time and we are probably looking at getting Stanton back some time in June. 

8 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Looking up Biceps strain recovery time and we are probably looking at getting Stanton back some time in June. 

Well you gotta remember these guys get world class treatment. An ACL tear for normal people like you and us would keep us out for a year plus. These athletes nowadays come back from ACL tears in like 8 months. We also don't know the severity of the biceps strain so speculating on when he comes back is kind of an exercise in futility. I'd assume an MRI will be done today and the results released today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

Idk if playing the OF increased the risk of injury here but this is why I only wanted him at DH and not as the fulltime LF.

No one really benefits much from this as far as fantasy goes.  Frazier I assume will start now in LF unless they want to get a look at Tauchman.  No one would mind if Tauchman started over Gardner right now.  Yankees infield/DH situation doesn't change much, if at all.

37 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

If Miggy came back in weeks, not months, then that’s pretty much what you need to know.  If an out of shape, older injury prone player comes back that quick, then Stanton can too.  Now hopefully he doesn’t rush it.

9 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

If Miggy came back in weeks, not months, then that’s pretty much what you need to know.  If an out of shape, older injury prone player comes back that quick, then Stanton can too.  Now hopefully he doesn’t rush it.

Miggy came back in weeks and shortly tore his bicep tendon. I hope they play it very conservative here. 

Ugh. I was hoping this was an April Fools joke. Insert face into palm.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

No one really benefits much from this as far as fantasy goes.  Frazier I assume will start now in LF unless they want to get a look at Tauchman.  No one would mind if Tauchman started over Gardner right now.  Yankees infield/DH situation doesn't change much, if at all.

until hicks gets back, they need to hit gardner 9th (if hes playing) and lead Torres off.

as far as Stanton goes i thought he was going to have a big year.  he still may come back in may and tear it up power wise like sanchez did in 2017.  sanchez also strained his biceps i think...missed april

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

You might want to bench Brett Gardner but Boone is not going to do that... 

Bird inserted as cleanup hitter... For yankees sake dunno if that is good or not.

I suspect stanton hurt the bicep lifting weights.

4 hours ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Frazier most likely gets the OF time until Hicks comes back soon. In the mean time I think Bird has every chance to grab hold of the everyday 1B job until Stanton comes back. 

Because Stanton is taking Voit with him to the IL List?  Does not compute.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Because Stanton is taking Voit with him to the IL List?  Does not compute.

I think Bird and Voit will both play. Someone has to DH and I think that they are trying to build up Bird's value in order to maybe use him as a trade chip later in the season. Gardner hasn't looked good. The kid they pick of from the Rockies is probably not a starter. And with Andujar going down now, there is PT available for both Voit and Bird. I still like Bird and I think he'll pan out eventually. We'll see soon. 

• Like 1

So what is the main opinion here?

I have a bicep strain now from preacher curls and I could not envision swinging a bat properly for maybe 4-5 weeks. I am not a superhero like Ginacarlo but still....

On 4/1/2019 at 11:38 AM, murraygd13 said:

158 and 159 games played the last two seasons.

Right, and last year was a big step in trying to shed the injury prone tag but to @Triple Short Of a Cycle point, he has an extensive injury history and that risk isn't magically gone because he played 130 games in back to back seasons for the first time in his career...

Since his first full year:

2011 - 150

2012 - 123

2013 - 116

2014 - 145

2015 - 74

2016 - 119

2017 - 159

2018 - 158

2019 - 3 games and a DL stint so far

2 full seasons is a huge step in the right direction, but that injury risk still lurks... it's the reason he's only hit 40 HR once in his career. 

• Like 1

Tough to find solid info, but do we think he returns this week?

Most updates are "hitting with intensity" last Wednesday, and that he may return this Tuesday...

Would be nice to know for weekly