9 hours ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Yes nobody can have any fun in baseball we get it. Just hit your home runs and show no emotion like a good boy. RIDICULOUS. Get off my lawn while you’re at it 

I'm all for fun. That's why I love Baez smiling and celebrating the tag out prior to the runner being there. What Anderson did wasn't "fun" he was rubbing ish in their face and being a punk about it. Punk got plunked like he deserved, then cried about it.

Hit the homer and throw your bat at your own team, have a smile, and I'll agree with you that it's fun. Don't mouth off, don't run into other players, don't throw your bat at the other team.

I hope he continues the hot start. I like this guy as a player, aside from the recent antics.

Does anyone have metrics on his plate discipline thus far compared to last year?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

I'm all for fun. That's why I love Baez smiling and celebrating the tag out prior to the runner being there. What Anderson did wasn't "fun" he was rubbing ish in their face and being a punk about it. Punk got plunked like he deserved, then cried about it.

Hit the homer and throw your bat at your own team, have a smile, and I'll agree with you that it's fun. Don't mouth off, don't run into other players, don't throw your bat at the other team.

I hope he continues the hot start. I like this guy as a player, aside from the recent antics.

Does anyone have metrics on his plate discipline thus far compared to last year?

Wrong. He threw the bat at his own teams dugout and screamed at them “let’s go!”. He didn’t scream or run into any of the other teams players. I was watching the game. If that is being a punk then I hope he continues to be one and I hope more players act like punks because that’s awesome. Im not defending Tim Anderson because I own him in one league. I’m defending him because emotion shown in sports done the correct way and NOT thrown directly in the other teams face to embarrass them should be celebrated not shunned and depressed. He was pumping his own team up and the other team got salty. That’s not Andersons fault and  now you need to get off my lawn too.

Edited by BxBOMBERs28
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Jpress82 said:

2 more hits today and a SB. Everyone is saying sell high but i think i am going to hold. He was already a 20/20 guy and the batting average is going to be higher then last year. I think he could be a 20/40 guy with a good batting average.

I think I read one person her say "sell high."  Not everyone.  And certainly not me.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think I read one person her say "sell high."  Not everyone.  And certainly not me.

I meant to say the fantasy baseball analysts on the internet.. not in this specific thread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Both guys on the CBS today podcast had him as their sell high candidate. Kind of a lazy choice, IMO. If you drafted him you probably aren't selling him.

Nobody is paying a premium for Anderson, because most people only had modest expectations for him coming into the season and don't really believe he's going to be anywhere close to this good all year. But if you can actually trade him for a proven guy you had ranked a lot higher going into the year, I thinking "selling high" is definitely a smart move. 

Pretty clear this is an All Star and career year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's deinitely a sell high for me, but at the same time I wouldn't be broken-hearted if I was unsuccesful. I still think he'll be a valuable asset the rest of the way but if someone wants to give me Blackmon, Kluber, or Nola for him I'd be okay with that.

On the positive side, his hard hit rate is up from 27.9% to 34.0% according to Statcast (though Fangraphs has it decreasing). His k rate has now dropped from 26.7 in 2017, 24.6 in 2018, and 19.7 thus far in 2019. His exit velo is also up, increasing from 85.6 to 88.0. On the down side, his plate discipline hasn't improved any as his chase rate has actually increased from 40.3% to 42.1%. His swinging strike rate is still high at 12.4%. His ground ball rate is still quite high and he remains allergic to walking (bb rate of 1.5%) so I don't think his OBP the rest of the way will be over .300 limiting SB opportunities. His BABIP of .479 is obviously going to significantly regress.

I still think he'll be a valuable asset the rest of the way, with something like a .260 avg, 16hr's, 20-25sb's, making him a top 100 player. But if someone wants to give me a top 50 player who is off to a slow start, I'd go for it.

Given his metrics are about the same and his name sake. I don't see much value in selling high. Speaking as someone who is skeptical of him. 

You are going to get Power/Speed regardless of what happens to the BA. He made 34 SB attempts last year with his partly .280 OBP. You can try to aim super high. Not sure how many bites you get.

Trading away your SB guys who are not empty in other cats is usually against my MO personally. You better be getting a 4 cat stud or high end SP.

• Like 3

I agree with Slatykamora.  SBs are so scarce out there and Anderson seems like a good bet for at least 30.  It's very realistic for him to get 20 HR and 30 SB and I'm not trading that away.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One thing to keep an eye on is the K rate is down 6%, and his O contact rate is up 8%.  He’s clearly learning to make better contact.  Obviously he won’t have a .479 BABIP but he has had a 430 at bat sample in his career with a .375 BABIP.  If his K rate continues to improve even with the low base on ball rate he could probably jump up to the .260-.270 range.  He’s also 7 for 7 on SB’s, he went from 15 to 26 in 2017 vs 2018.  It looks like he’s learned to use his wheels to his advantage.  You’re likely safe to expect at least 30 bags this year.  The rest of his profile is hard to project right now.  Lineup around him is better.  It seems they brought a new hitting philosophy in that has helped Moncoda in the early going.  And just when we thought things couldn’t get better?  He gets Detroit, Baltimore, Detroit, Baltimore for the next 12 games.  Outside of Matt Boyd who I wouldn’t even call anything special just a solid arm, he gets a ton of losers.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

One thing to keep an eye on is the K rate is down 6%, and his O contact rate is up 8%.  He’s clearly learning to make better contact.  

This is why I have hope about a possible change. He's swinging more out of the zone, but he's making more contact. That shows improved bat control. Sometimes we get caught up in analytics and normalize certain parameters that everyone needs to meet to be "real" and "backed up" by the numbers.

But that's not always the case. Tim is locked in at the plate. And as weird as it sounds despite being a free swinger still, he's actually more patient based on contact.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

This is why I have hope about a possible change. He's swinging more out of the zone, but he's making more contact. That shows improved bat control. Sometimes we get caught up in analytics and normalize certain parameters that everyone needs to meet to be "real" and "backed up" by the numbers.

But that's not always the case. Tim is locked in at the plate. And as weird as it sounds despite being a free swinger still, he's actually more patient based on contact.

Yep. He’s probably not going to be a huge on base guy, but neither was Adam Jones in his prime. That didn’t stop him from being a high end fantasy player. His average was still always very solid despite the not so impressive OBP. Anderson puts up all the counting stats you could ask for. If he can be more consistent in making contact and bring his average up to something like .280, that’s an extremely valuable fantasy guy with everything he does.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Report out that he'll be suspended

The MLB is tone deaf. 

• Like 2

Not an owner but what a joke, let em have a little fun. Maybe more ppl besides us fantasy addicts would watch.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

Not an owner but what a joke, let em have a little fun. Maybe more ppl besides us fantasy addicts would watch.

I’m not an owner either. I’m barely a fan. At this point I’m more a fan of the person. (I love my plate discipline). I’m someone who wants the sport to have a future and not be run by tone deaf morons. “Old school” mentalities like this create barriers to entry for new fans. 

13 minutes ago, taobball said:

The MLB is tone deaf. 

The idea of MLB enabling Joe West to continue his reign of terror is horrifying 

• Like 1

Hey MLB it's probably not a great idea to bury the personalities that are good for the game while continuing to support Joe West who thinks he's greater than the game of baseball. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Report out that he'll be suspended

Stupid, horrible decision!  He is appealing of course so he won't be out today. But not right AND he is on fire and having him suspended could mess up his groove he is in so even worse.

I’m not an owner either. I’m barely a fan. At this point I’m more a fan of the person. (I love my plate discipline).

Oh Taoball I would love to see your posts if Vlad Sr was still around, hah.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Confirmed. Anderson is getting a 1 game suspension, but the guy that risked his well being essentially gets his start pushed back a day (5 game). 

8 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Confirmed. Anderson is getting a 1 game suspension, but the guy that risked his well being essentially gets his start pushed back a day (5 game). 

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Please move all of the suspension talk to the suspension thread. Let's keep this about Anderson and his fantasy outlook. Thanks