Sign in to follow this  
parrothead

Nathan Eovaldi 2019 Outlook

Eovaldi had a nice return year from missing all of 2017.  Started with the Rays then traded to Boston where he helped them win a WS.   Re-signed a 4-year deal at $17 Million per this offseason, assume he will be in the rotation.  Pitcher List and crossover pods with the SATB guys this guy is getting a lot of love, talking him up pretty high in SP rankings, certainly higher than I would of thought.   He was the 56th starting pitcher off the board in recent FSTA draft results - which to me seems about right, means he would be like your P5 in a 12-teamer.  But some pods have him more in the low 30's in their SP rankings - 

Anyone that bullish on Eovaldi this year as like a P3 starter?

its odd, there is less buzz around Eovaldi than i thought.  

11 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

its odd, there is less buzz around Eovaldi than i thought.  

I think that most people don't trust that he'll remain healthy. 

16 minutes ago, Homerj24 said:

I think that most people don't trust that he'll remain healthy. 

but usually guys who look great in the postseason get a major boost

He's a pass for me , last year with the Rays he was almost unhittable  or complete garbage, not much in between.

He will probably be drafted too high.  It is tempting with him on the Red Sox though.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Two poor starts to kick off the season.

Agree it's been a tough couple starts but just remember, it's a marathon not a sprint.   This start was better than the last and hopefully next time out he will improve again.  Perhaps if no turnaround after 7-10 starts you bail, depending on how deep your league is and who may be available.  

He is a hold...let the calendar turn to May and see where he is at.

I bought into him this year, believing what he did in the postseason. Mayhaps we were duped? That Red Sox team sure isn't playing well in the early goings though, so it's hard to say. 

Just now, Guzman said:

I bought into him this year, believing what he did in the postseason. Mayhaps we were duped? That Red Sox team sure isn't playing well in the early goings though, so it's hard to say. 

He is walking people like crazy which he didn't last year.  His stuff is still fast and exploding but he keeps falling behind hitters so he either walks them or he has to throw it over the heart of the plate at that point and once it is right down the middle anyone can hit anything there.  (Well maybe not Chris Davis).

2 minutes ago, remark900 said:

Is he back???

When has he not pitched well versus the Yanks?!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Crap, crap, crap.  Just after he was back on track and had a really good game last time out.  First deGrom and now Eovaldi.  My pitching staff is dropping like flies in two of my leagues.

Red Sox place RHP Nathan Eovaldi on the 10-day injured list due to a loose body in his right elbow.

Advice: LHP Bobby Poyner will be recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket in a corresponding move. Perhaps this injury explains Eovaldi's poor performance this year. He has a 6.00 ERA and 1.52 WHIP through four starts. He has 16 strikeouts and 11 walks in 21 innings and has served up six home runs. No word yet on how long Eovaldi may be sidelined.

More: Chris Cotillo on Twitter

Poyner is a young reliever so Hector Velasquez will probably step into the rotation for now barring some kind of trade or even ending Dallas Keuchel's spring vacation maybe since he said recently he is open to a one year deal. 

Boston really needs a legit 6th starter given the need to rest Sale's arm so much, Porcello totally lost big time and now Eovaldi out.  But, again, the luxury tax raises it's ugly head in this equation.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Posted (edited)

Who takes his rotation spot?

edit: just saw its Velazquez

Edited by WTP333

6 minutes ago, Mikewastaken said:

Sounds like he's gonna close for them when he returns. Interesting decision.

guessing that lasts about 4 outings.

Just now, herschel said:

guessing that lasts about 4 outings.

Better then Barnes or Bras....No? 

He was really good out of the pen in the playoffs last year.

A decision born out of no other options right now.  Red Sox are back what?  10 games?  11?  And they have blown almost as many Saves as that this season.  Thinks where they could have been if those leads were held.

If Eovaldi can do what he did last season down the stretch and in the playoffs out of the pen that is just what they need.  And he loves the pressure situations.  Doesn't wilt in them like Martt Barnes does. 

Also as they said they don't have to spend extra weeks stretching him back out for multi-innings as a starter.

And the injury never effected his velocity.  He was playing through it at the start of the season and hitting 100 mph.  The injury effected his control.  So he doesn't have to ramp up his velocity.  It never went away. 

He really is a natural born closer.  He just wanted to be a starter.  But now to get back up earlier and for the good of the team he is going to a position he was basically born to shine in.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Better then Barnes or Bras....No? 

not really saying much and im not really convinced he will be.  he has a pretty low career k/9 and his playoff bullpen success last year all came as part of a much deeper bullpen (kimbrel, kelly, etc) where is was more of a pleasant surprise than something they relied on day in day out.  as a sox fan, i wish cora would commit to workman the way he seems to be committing to eovaldi.  

Edited by herschel

Just now, herschel said:

not really saying much and im not really convinced he will be.  he has a pretty low k/9 and his playoff bullpen success last year all came as part of a much deeper bullpen (kimbrel, kelly, etc) where is was more of a pleasant surprise than something they relied on day in day out.  as a sox fan, i wish cora would commit to workman they way he seems to be committing to eovaldi.  

Eovaldi also pitched out of the pen in September. 

And Workman comes and goes as all of these guys do as far as consistency.  Nothing to see to commit to any more than Barnes or Hembree who is just back.  They get a mini good spell then fall back into mediocrity.  Barnes was a bit more consistent but only when he set-up, not closed. 

Workman and Hembree are just average guys at best that occasionally get a decent spurt before falling down again.  Both have been that way for years.  Eovaldi, on the other hand, is an elite arm who reacts well to pressure.

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Eovaldi also pitched out of the pen in September. 

And Workman comes and goes as all of these guys do as far as consistency.  Nothing to see to commit to any more than Barnes or Hembree who is just back.  They get a mini good spell then fall back into mediocrity.  Barnes was a bit more consistent but only when he set-up, not closed. 

Workman and Hembree are just average guys at best that occasionally get a decent spurt before falling down again.  Both have been that way for years.  Eovaldi, on the other hand, is an elite arm who reacts well to pressure.

as a sox fan, i hope youre right, but career numbers of 4.21 ERA, 1.352 WHIP, 6.8 k/9, 2.8 BB/9 dont scream closer to me.  granted majority of these numbers came as a starter and he does have velocity to make shorter outings more impressive, i just dont have a ton of faith in that happening.  hope i am wrong....