Sign in to follow this  
murraygd13

Joey Votto 2019 Outlook

Maybe Joey can drop the act like I always mention and just stick to baseball. He tends to get inside himself a little too much lately with all his quirky antics. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that he has a personality disorder. He's hilarious, but I think something is actually wrong with him.

Joey Votto is a national treasure

But there are some concerning signs early on.. I thought a revamped Reds offence would help mask power loss. Still way too early to cut bait. At least wait for the Reds offence to go on a hot streak and see how his numbers look. He has always started slow, so there's still a chance the power comes back.

Posted (edited)

I remember when people were mocking those last year who were worried about Votto. Good times. And a lesson in not every slump is just that. Father Time is undefeated.  Hope for owners he can turn it around but he looks cooked. 

Edited by ComeSaleAway

1 hour ago, Kirito-Sama said:

How many players have gone on the DL for hurt feefees before?

This doesn't really feel like a very productive conversation to have in a player thread.

Someone should go back and look at the Votto threads each year in which the same "why isn't he hitting home runs or doing anything really" conversations happen early in the year.  It seems he always starts slow.  Yes his power is down and he likely won't hit 30 HRs this season, but Puig, Winker, Peraza, hell the whole CIN lineup is in a slump and has started the year rather terribly.

I'll buy some Votto shares if anyone's selling at a "father-time is undefeated" discount.  Votto knows no defeat, least of all father time.

1 minute ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Someone should go back and look at the Votto threads each year in which the same "why isn't he hitting home runs or doing anything really" conversations happen early in the year.  It seems he always starts slow.  Yes his power is down and he likely won't hit 30 HRs this season, but Puig, Winker, Peraza, hell the whole CIN lineup is in a slump and has started the year rather terribly.

I'll buy some Votto shares if anyone's selling at a "father-time is undefeated" discount.  Votto knows no defeat, least of all father time.

Joey, is that you?

• Like 1

Just now, En Votto Veritas said:

Will take this post with a grain of salt considering your username. People always say that Votto is so smart, quirky, and trying things out for the sake of trying them out. If that were truly the case that is the most ridiculous thing ever. Dude's 35 year's old with almost 7,000 MLB plate appearances and some of the best plate discipline of all time. Clearly he knows "what works" by now, it's just that he's not capable of doing it any longer. Career high K% rate and career low BB% rates by extremely wide margins, career low hard hit %, fly balls way up (which would normally be good but not when you're making good contact), and a swinging strike rate above 10% (10.9%) for the first time since 2010. His contact rates are way down even though he's swinging at more pitches. It seems pretty clear to me that the bat speed isn't there anymore and he can't catch up anymore. 

I am trying extremely hard to sell with the hopes he can give me 80% of draft day cost. This guy is dunzo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, whitekenyan24 said:

Will take this post with a grain of salt considering your username. People always say that Votto is so smart, quirky, and trying things out for the sake of trying them out. If that were truly the case that is the most ridiculous thing ever. Dude's 35 year's old with almost 7,000 MLB plate appearances and some of the best plate discipline of all time. Clearly he knows "what works" by now, it's just that he's not capable of doing it any longer. Career high K% rate and career low BB% rates by extremely wide margins, career low hard hit %, fly balls way up (which would normally be good but not when you're making good contact), and a swinging strike rate above 10% (10.9%) for the first time since 2010. His contact rates are way down even though he's swinging at more pitches. It seems pretty clear to me that the bat speed isn't there anymore and he can't catch up anymore. 

I am trying extremely hard to sell with the hopes he can give me 80% of draft day cost. This guy is dunzo.

So let me get this straight- you are comparing his “career samples” and other “full years” to a 16 game sample to come to the conclusion he is done? That is quite interesting, and makes close to no sense. If you checked any guy who is extremely struggling right now vs their career numbers, they would look done. Point is, a 16 game sample is close to meaningless. Not saying he will be fine or he is done either way, but that is certainly not the way to come to the conclusion. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SportsBrain said:

So let me get this straight- you are comparing his “career samples” and other “full years” to a 16 game sample to come to the conclusion he is done? That is quite interesting, and makes close to no sense. If you checked any guy who is extremely struggling right now vs their career numbers, they would look done. Point is, a 16 game sample is close to meaningless. Not saying he will be fine or he is done either way, but that is certainly not the way to come to the conclusion. 

No, the start of this season is a continued deterioration of his skills that are clearly visible from the entirety of last season's batted ball data. Player's performance levels generally follow a bell curve so this is the continuation of that downward trend starting in 2018.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, whitekenyan24 said:

No, the start of this season is a continued deterioration of his skills that are clearly visible from the entirety of last season's batted ball data. Player's performance levels generally follow a bell curve so this is the continuation of that downward trend starting in 2018.

The start of this season is nowhere near a large enough sample to draw any real conclusions from. If you want to say it’s a concern after last season, that would be reasonable. But you didn’t do that, you pulled all numbers form THIS season only, and said he is done cause they are all career worsts. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Kirito-Sama said:

Now he's "hurt." This guy is a joke.

I have a share and I’m a little concerned but it’s only been 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

I don't even put him in my line up anymore in the leagues where I have a games limit... trying to give him till June 

On 4/26/2019 at 5:47 AM, hard1 said:

I don't even put him in my line up anymore in the leagues where I have a games limit... trying to give him till June 

Never thought I’d ever say this but I dropped him. Shallow league(8 team). But I agree with above, he’s done and 2019 is a continuation from 2018. 

I'm picking him up in any league he's dropped. Someone in the league is going to value him enough to at league trade away for something better than a waiver wire add. 

• Like 1

He wasn't worth a minor leaguer ranked somewhere between 25 to 50 last week in one of my leagues

since his brilliant manager moved him to leadoff... (2 weeks ago)

41 AB's, 5 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, .216

so basically Delino Deshields Jr. w/ ZERO speed and no RBI opportunities on the assumption he'd actually get a hit. I've never owned him, any Reds fans got insight? I know who he WAS, but who he IS now and last year reminds me of what I pick up off the lawn every few days w/ a shovel. 

• Haha 1