Sign in to follow this  
murraygd13

Joey Votto 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Stick a fork in him, He's done, this is why you don't give those long term deals, same thing will happen to Machado, Harper and Trout

Edited by azeri98
add
  • Like 1

It sucks to see these once great players on a sharp downward trajectory. 

Posted (edited)

He's a professional hitter, he's doing this on purpose, he'll come around, wait until the weather warms up, he's in a bad lineup.....Did I miss any of the usual excuses? Joking aside, this is just sad. He got really old fast. 

Edited by ComeSaleAway

The overreactions here are hilarious. I highly suggest you stop watching every Votto at bat and try to grasp that baseball is a series of hot and cold streaks. Especially at age 35. 

He'll heat up eventually and when he does, I hope none of the cry babies here own him.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

The overreactions here are hilarious. I highly suggest you stop watching every Votto at bat and try to grasp that baseball is a series of hot and cold streaks. Especially at age 35. 

He'll heat up eventually and when he does, I hope none of the cry babies here own him.

So a cold streak consists of 190 games now?

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 9:30 AM, Gandalfthecat said:

That's what people were saying last year, just wait he will heat up, It never happened and won't this year either

1 minute ago, azeri98 said:

That's what people were saying last year, just wait he will heat up, It never happened and won't this year either

That's what I'm concerned about. I've never had Votto on any of my teams and keep asking if I should drop him, but everyone keeps on acting like I'm an idiot for even suggesting it. But from what I can tell his downward spiral started last year. I've missed out on a lot of valuable players on the WW that I could have dropped him for but is there some kind of advanced metrics that I'm unaware of that indicate this is just a slow start and that he'll eventually come around?

He's 35 that's the only advanced thing about him is his age, very few hitters are productive at that age, Cruz and EE but they are DH's, if they had to field everyday I doubt they would be as effective

• Like 1

It's really strange. Alot of his 2019 numbers match up with his 2017 numbers when he went bonkers and hit 36 homers and a .320/.454/.578 slash line. Hard and medium hit rates are better than 2017, same pull rate, higher fly ball rate, better average exit velocity and launch angle. But that K% rate at 25.2% is horrendous for his standards, as is the subpar walk rate. He's swinging a little less than usual and making less contact in the zone so maybe he's lost a step with his reaction time and either misses in the zone because he can't catch up or lays off more and is being passive due to the lost step. 

Head scratcher to me. There are things to like but 2018 and start to 2019 are troubling.

• Like 1

Votto is arguably my fav current MLB player; I've long been on his bandwagon and was an apologist last year, and this off-season.   

but his power outage extends to the start of the 2017 second half, during which he hit only 10 of '17's 36 homers.

Since Post all-star break, 2017:

PA 1,061 (simply ABs + BBs, not including any HBP or SFs)

HR 25

RBI 105

he's basically needed almost two full seasons of PAs to reach what was once an annual milestone.

• Like 2

2 walks... announcers acting like it's a start... I'm not in obp leagues... senzel has more homers...

I'm holding (in a league that counts walks), but this dude is getting murdered by lefties like never before this year.

I just hope he's not playing through some low key nagging injury that he'll have to deal with the whole season...

Posted (edited)

[...] 

The numbers have been bad, but he has gotten robbed a few times lately. If he gets back to close to normal, I'll have a huge bargain.

He's always been a different type of player. He can look really bad for 3 ABs and win the game on the 4th.

With his lineup placement and OBP, he is going to give you runs at least.  If he finishes below .275avg I'd be surprised. That means he would hit about .300 the rest of the season. I figure he's a lottery ticket at this point and worth a low risk trade/pick up.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Yeah different approach grabbing off the wire vs thinking you have an anchor to hold down your first base spot.... instead he's anchoring you to the bottom of the standings and causing you to drown at first base....juiced ball era and the dude sucks... I get slumps but gzus even dudes that hit .220 catch more homers than this guy... time to swing for the fences joe not choke up so you can pop out....

Okay, I don't have any shares of this guy (long-time keeper for someone else in both of my leagues), but I've been mildly curious about his precipitous drop-off.  He's had precipitous slumps before, so I considered recent events with a grain of salt.

Watching him in San Francisco, wtf is this guy doing?  I swear he choked up about eight inches against Bumgarner and he was practicing these bizarre half swings.  Oddly enough, on one of them he actually blooped one into left field, almost by accident.  Even choking up he was late on a bunch of pitches.  Zero bat-speed, watching strikes whiz by. 

I would move on from him in anything but an OBP league. While there's something to be said for overreacting, there's also something to be said for not reading the tea leaves correctly with aging players. He's bottom third in everything from xBA to Hard Hit% to EV. Line Drive % is nearly half (!) of what it was last year. Maybe he bounces back, but it's not looking good right now. Reminds me of the year Konerko just completely fell off after being rock-steady for so long.

geez, this is killing me.   I own him in leagues that count both BBs and OBP.   And even in those he's been dead-weight.

for the first time, I'm seriously considering dropping him.    Since mid-2017, he's powerless.   

Based on nothing but mere blind optimism, I believe Votto is gonna turn it around. And it is going to start this week... 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Willsea33 said:

Based on nothing but mere blind optimism, I believe Votto is gonna turn it around. And it is going to start this week... 

I'll be back when he hits .150 with 0 xbh 1 rbi and 5 walks this week. 

Edited by Kirito-Sama

Just cut in my competitive 12 team roto league. Crazy. And I was thinking of making a buy low offer.

Now I think I’ll just leave Votto on waivers.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:01 AM, azeri98 said:

Stick a fork in him, He's done, this is why you don't give those long term deals, same thing will happen to Machado, Harper and Trout

true. these long term contracts (the list of them is so long) are horrible. someone besides just the players are making out. so many of them have been horrible even in the short term. Pujols being the most recent along with Cano.

• Like 1