Sign in to follow this  
murraygd13

Joey Votto 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Just cut in my competitive 12 team roto league. Crazy. And I was thinking of making a buy low offer.

Now I think I’ll just leave Votto on waivers.

Votto was a DND for me at the price he was going for but if he’s dropped in any of my leagues I’m swooping in. I think he’ll rebound to some degree in the near future.

Buy low.  He's going to hit in the top 3 in the order in one of the best hitters parks in baseball.  Good offense around him.  Worst case scenario, he's a top 100 player.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

true. these long term contracts (the list of them is so long) are horrible. someone besides just the players are making out. so many of them have been horrible even in the short term. Pujols being the most recent along with Cano.

Cano hasn't been horrible at all.  And Votto has already earned nearly 3/4 of his contact, so that hasn't been that bad either.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Cano hasn't been horrible at all.  And Votto has already earned nearly 3/4 of his contact, so that hasn't been that bad either.

How has Votto earned 3/4ths of a contract that, IIRC, runs from 2014-2023?  

Edited by Overlord

22 minutes ago, Sabo-metrics said:

Buy low.  He's going to hit in the top 3 in the order in one of the best hitters parks in baseball.  Good offense around him.  Worst case scenario, he's a top 100 player.  

He wasn't even a top 100 player last year..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Overlord said:

How has Votto earned 3/4ths of a contract that, IIRC, runs from 2014-2023?  

If you go by 1 win above replacement is worth about $8M in free agent dollars, he's been worth about $186M thus far.  That's nearly 75% of his total contract.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 89Topps said:

If you go by 1 win above replacement is worth about $8M in free agent dollars, he's been worth about $186M thus far.  That's nearly 75% of his total contract.

I'm sure that will be a real consolation to Cincy when they're paying him $25M a year for the next 4 to be a .700 OPS bat who can't run or field.

Edited by Kirito-Sama

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:43 AM, Jyeatbvg said:

He wasn't even a top 100 player last year..

but he was an MVP years ago and could provide top 250 value lol.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:01 AM, azeri98 said:

Stick a fork in him, He's done, this is why you don't give those long term deals, same thing will happen to Machado, Harper and Trout

The difference is Machado will be in his last year of his contract and Harper and Trout will be closer to the end.  Reds have Votto through 2024

Last night, with a runner on third and no outs, this clown stared at two strikes and then went down swinging wildly on a changeup in the dirt. He is a disgrace to the game of baseball. 

His Statcast numbers are U-G-L-Y. Votto isn't even being unlucky....

.215 xAVG

.394 xSLG

.316 xwOBA

Career low 31,8 Hard%

Here are numbers that are even more scary.

Vs Breaking Balls: .138 AVG, .276 SLG and a 30,3 K%

Vs Offspeed Pitches: .080 AVG, .080 SLG and a 35,1 K%.

Yes, his AVG and SLG are .080. That's not a typo. Offspeed pitches are making Votto look like a minor leaguer this year...

9 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

His Statcast numbers are U-G-L-Y. Votto isn't even being unlucky....

.215 xAVG

.394 xSLG

.316 xwOBA

Career low 31,8 Hard%

Here are numbers that are even more scary.

Vs Breaking Balls: .138 AVG, .276 SLG and a 30,3 K%

Vs Offspeed Pitches: .080 AVG, .080 SLG and a 35,1 K%.

Yes, his AVG and SLG are .080. That's not a typo. Offspeed pitches are making Votto look like a minor leaguer this year...

Yeah it's sad. He's one of my favorite players of all time but he's just not the same.

I don't have him anywhere except a best ball points league. But I'd strongly consider dropping him in re-drafts.

A kid in our league wants to drop him but knows he can't.  I know what all the numbers say, and they aren't pretty.  All the data screams trash.  The problem is none of us would be at all surprised if he pulled a 180 at some point, and had a vintage Votto 2nd half. 

30 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

A kid in our league wants to drop him but knows he can't.  I know what all the numbers say, and they aren't pretty.  All the data screams trash.  The problem is none of us would be at all surprised if he pulled a 180 at some point, and had a vintage Votto 2nd half. 

I think my surprise factor is going up by the day. He doesn't look like the same player but thats been said about many players who turned it around.

Im one of those dinguses that cut Matt Carpenter last year just before he went nuts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kirito-Sama said:

Last night, with a runner on third and no outs, this clown stared at two strikes and then went down swinging wildly on a changeup in the dirt. He is a disgrace to the game of baseball. 

Lol

1 hour ago, Kirito-Sama said:

What's funny?

Calling him a disgrace to the game of baseball. He may not be helping your fantasy team in 2019 but he's a HOF. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jseay65 said:

Calling him a disgrace to the game of baseball. He may not be helping your fantasy team in 2019 but he's a HOF. 

Haha, no. 

Not close for me. Especially when his glorious all important career obp dips with his decline.

Seriously?

Posted (edited)

sabermetrics is going to make a bunch of players HOFers who are not.

Brian Kinney will make a case for anyone.

what is better having a great OBP or scoring more runs or hitting more RBIs?

Edited by mlb2019
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mlb2019 said:

so know the HOF is based off that player was good in fantasy baseball for 5 years?

His career 55 fWAR suggests he’s been much better than “good in fantasy baseball for 5 years.” You should try watching the game.

That said, he probably needs/needed a few more productive years to be a HOFer. 

2 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

so know the HOF is based off that player was good in fantasy baseball for 5 years?

So, now Joey Votto was only good for 5 years?  Come on.