colepenhagen

J.D. Martinez 2019 Outlook

[If you have an issue with a post, just report it. You aren't adding anything of value to the conversation when you complain about another poster.]

8 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

does he opt out???

I highly doubt it. As good as he's been, he's been underperforming. Plus at this point in his career he's a DH, so would be a huge gamble for him to do so. It was hard enough for him to get his 1st contract. With all the new analytics and whatnot, he will have a hard time getting more money.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

does he opt out???

1 hour ago, jspeco9 said:

I highly doubt it. As good as he's been, he's been underperforming. Plus at this point in his career he's a DH, so would be a huge gamble for him to do so. It was hard enough for him to get his 1st contract. With all the new analytics and whatnot, he will have a hard time getting more money.

Yeah he could gamble but it could backfire big time for him. His age plus his poor ability to play in the field -- he has been pretty bad this season in the OF to say the least -- kind of limits his market to AL teams who need a DH.  Also the juiced ball is making "power" hitters not as valuable right now as everyone and his cousin can hit homers currently.  So it would be a pretty big gamble.

And I could see the Sox throwing in a slightly re-worked contract that "sweetens" his salary maybe just a face saving little bit which would eliminate any psychological need he may feel to enter free agency to "prove" anything as well.

But then ballplayers tend to get talked into bad moves by greedy agents more interested in their own commissions on new deals than what is best for the player at times so I could be wrong as well, heh.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jspeco9 said:

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah he could gamble but it could backfire big time for him. His age plus his poor ability to play in the field -- he has been pretty bad this season in the OF to say the least -- kind of limits his market to AL teams who need a DH.  Also the juiced ball is making "power" hitters not as valuable right now as everyone and his cousin can hit homers currently.  So it would be a pretty big gamble.

And I could see the Sox throwing in a slightly re-worked contract that "sweetens" his salary maybe just a face saving little bit which would eliminate any psychological need he may feel to enter free agency to "prove" anything as well.

But then ballplayers tend to get talked into bad moves by greedy agents more interested in their own commissions on new deals than what is best for the player at times so I could be wrong as well, heh.

i was thinking along these lines.  hes kind of limited to DH and maybe 1 start a week in the OF.  that limits the teams to the AL.  and i dont see a fit for him in the AL.  maybe Cleveland, but i doubt they pay more than the 3 years 60 or so million he is owed

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

i was thinking along these lines.  hes kind of limited to DH and maybe 1 start a week in the OF.  that limits the teams to the AL.  and i dont see a fit for him in the AL.  maybe Cleveland, but i doubt they pay more than the 3 years 60 or so million he is owed

Cleveland just got Franmil Reyes who can't field a lick and is under cheap team control for the next few years so they have their DH already.  JD is sitting pretty staying where he is with that big contract.  So JD is pretty much where he should be for what he can get contract wise logically. 

Of course JD "thinks" he can still play in the outfield but watching him this year he has been plain terrible.  I hope he finally realizes that.  Because time after time you see balls fall in that Mookie or Benny would have easily caught.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

On 8/8/2019 at 1:15 PM, Dr. Whom said:

This...he will be missing games more often to preserve his back down the stretch. Colossal bust this year and dnd until the 4th round. Let some other moron take him earlier

Since this post....

Batting .408, 9 HR, 26 RBI, 21 R in 20 games

Can you do Paul Goldschmidt next?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

Since this post....

I think that one is just an unfortunate lost cause at this point.

When is he going to heal up and get back into the line up?

Or maybe Boston has no reason to rush him back

5 hours ago, octapuss said:

When is he going to heal up and get back into the line up?

Or maybe Boston has no reason to rush him back

As of yesterday he was available off the bench to pinch hit.

Mookie is just recovering too (a left foot problem) and they said they don't want to play Betts on the hard, artificial turf in TB so he will only DH for this series which means JD, who is less well healed and also who they don't want to play on that horrid surface, won't probably start a game until Texas which is Tuesday as the TB series extends through Monday.

Now it is possible he might DH once against the Rays but not that high an odds and only likely if they want to rest Betts' and his foot for a day.  Or JD talks them into playing a game in the field.  But again, the odds are low.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:53 PM, to_be_quite_frank said:

Since this post....

Can you do another since this (your) post? Dude has been brutal in September.

• Haha 1