urban2014

Tevin Coleman 2019 Outlook

Wow, it's going to get really messy in SF.  The entire offense is OffenseByCommittee.  I'm waiting for Shanny to start rotating in Nick Mulles and Beathard with Jimmy G.  Fun times in the bay.

Just now, CooL said:

Wow, it's going to get really messy in SF.  The entire offense is OffenseByCommittee.  I'm waiting for Shanny to start rotating in Nick Mulles and Beathard with Jimmy G.  Fun times in the bay.

they are undefeated so the system appears to be working in shannys favor...

4 minutes ago, championship or bust said:

they are undefeated so the system appears to be working in shannys favor...

Deep analysis 

• Like 1

They're only in a 3 man rotation right now because Coleman isn't there. Just like plenty of backfields go into rotations when their best (or at the worst second best) back gets hurt. It just feels like a lot of people reallly don't dig Coleman in general for some reason. I guess we will see in the next few games.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kball09 said:

They're only in a 3 man rotation right now because Coleman isn't there. Just like plenty of backfields go into rotations when their best (or at the worst second best) back gets hurt. It just feels like a lot of people reallly don't dig Coleman in general for some reason. I guess we will see in the next few games.

The reason for this is because he was disappointing last year in Atlanta. The narrative the whole time with Coleman and Freeman was “If one of these guys got all the work, he’d be a top 5 RB.” Once Freeman got hurt and Coleman wasn’t an RB1, people automatically assumed he sucks.

What those people don’t realize is that once Freeman went down, Ito Smith took a chunk of Coleman’s work last year, and the Atlanta running game as a whole has taken a MASSIVE step back once Shanahan left.  Their O-line has regressed as well.

Coleman has always passed the eye test for me... hopefully he can flourish again now that he’s reunited with Shanny.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

The reason for this is because he was disappointing last year in Atlanta. The narrative the whole time with Coleman and Freeman was “If one of these guys got all the work, he’d be a top 5 RB.” Once Freeman got hurt and Coleman wasn’t an RB1, people automatically assumed he sucks.

What those people don’t realize is that once Freeman went down, Ito Smith took a chunk of Coleman’s work last year, and the Atlanta running game as a whole has taken a MASSIVE step back once Shanahan left.  Their O-line has regressed as well.

Coleman has always passed the eye test for me... hopefully he can flourish again now that he’s reunited with Shanny.

Correct. 

The only thing we did all offseason was sign 2 guards in free agency, and draft a guard and tackle in the first round.

As a fan, I wasn't thrilled by the moves, but the OL was a big problem.  Unlike ATL's brass, I just don't think it was the only problem. 

• Like 1

Can't believe the fear-mongering in here. Jeff Wilson and Mostert have bounced around enough for a while. What did Mostert do after his great game? FLOP and he fumbled away whatever he wanted to claim as an opportunity.

This is a two-man backfield, and it was that way with the Bucs game, and it will continue to be that way. Coleman will be taking Mostert and Wilson's role and combining to one. Breida is a change of pace back that is better between the tackles and can catch a pass or two. Consistent grinding vs. Coleman's explosiveness.

People are really dumb- jesus. So easy to figure this situation out. 

• Like 4

It gives us something to worry about between games. We are a nation of worry and fear. I just read where someone cut Terry McLaurin because he was afraid of his tough schedule after 4 weeks. The chicken little types are at full strength! Not to mention Melvin Gordon might stop playing after six weeks because that’s all he needs, so should we trade for Ekeler? Get your worry faces out for him as well! There is enough fear to go around!!!

I had Mostert in a couple of leagues and cut bait because I see Coleman coming back and playing a 1A/1B scenario with Breida.  I don't think Mostert or Wilson will carry value moving forward even if they did produce while he was out.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AB84 said:

Okay so plug him out of our lineups since the game is on monday

It says if he looks the same today as he did yesterday, he would be pretty much a lock to play. There's going to be (some) clarity before Sunday.

8 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

I think he’ll be a solid RB2 if he stays healthy and it’s a two-man committee.

Two very big ifs, but given that scenario I would definitely agree with you. 

The stats above are very impressive, but he just never wowed me. And the stats are a little misleading in terms of TDs per touch cause Freeman was typically the 20 to 20 RB. So if virtually all your touches are in the redzone of course those stats will look good. All it really proves is Atlanta felt Coleman was better in the redzone than Freeman (who is also undersized). 

5 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Two very big ifs, but given that scenario I would definitely agree with you. 

The stats above are very impressive, but he just never wowed me. And the stats are a little misleading in terms of TDs per touch cause Freeman was typically the 20 to 20 RB. So if virtually all your touches are in the redzone of course those stats will look good. All it really proves is Atlanta felt Coleman was better in the redzone than Freeman (who is also undersized). 

They currently don't like to use Breida in the redzone. If you believe Coleman is going to replace Mostert and Wilson then you should believe Coleman will be the redzone guy. Personally I think Wilson will be inactive and mostert will go back to mostly special teams

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

So if virtually all your touches are in the redzone of course those stats will look good. All it really proves is Atlanta felt Coleman was better in the redzone than Freeman (who is also undersized). 

That’s what we’ve been saying here the entire time. His usage is most likely as the red zone back plus a lot of passing game work. Those touches are extremely valuable in fantasy. It’s exactly WHY I drafted him. Even if I don’t expect top rushing numbers I expect RB2 fantasy numbers at worst.

Also replace “Atlanta” with “Shanahan” and you can see why we are optimistic about TC in San Fran.

Posted (edited)

Yes. I believe he is being criminally slept on and the talking heads are remaining very quiet about him. Rotoworld blurbs are working overtime to put a confusing spin on the backfield situation. But those who follow the 49ers closely, know they brought him in for a reason. The success the other two JAGs have been seeing serves as a testament to the success Coleman should find in this system. I'm benching him this week but I can see a scenario where he moves up my depth chart once he starts rolling. 

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was glad to get him for free, I would love to be able to toss him in for Mack if I know ahead of time

11 hours ago, scheibler said:

They currently don't like to use Breida in the redzone. If you believe Coleman is going to replace Mostert and Wilson then you should believe Coleman will be the redzone guy. Personally I think Wilson will be inactive and mostert will go back to mostly special teams

Well that makes sense cause Breida is tiny. Certainly possible it plays out exactly as you mention, my concern is the fill-ins have looked pretty good, and I know I'll take heat for this but Coleman is a pretty ordinary talent. 

11 hours ago, Ruut6 said:

That’s what we’ve been saying here the entire time. His usage is most likely as the red zone back plus a lot of passing game work. Those touches are extremely valuable in fantasy. It’s exactly WHY I drafted him. Even if I don’t expect top rushing numbers I expect RB2 fantasy numbers at worst.

Also replace “Atlanta” with “Shanahan” and you can see why we are optimistic about TC in San Fran.

I own him in a league so I hope you're right, but my concern is what I mentioned above. I know he played the role in Atlanta but he's not a great GL back and he's not a great receiving back. And I know, I saw the stats, just my opinion from watching him. 

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I own him in a league so I hope you're right, but my concern is what I mentioned above. I know he played the role in Atlanta but he's not a great GL back and he's not a great receiving back. And I know, I saw the stats, just my opinion from watching him. 

Just a heads up that the receiving stats also disagree with you.

TBH I’m not really sure how you can look at those red zone stats and honestly still call him “not great” at it. Those #s are elite.

9 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I know I'll take heat for this but Coleman is a pretty ordinary talent

May I ask why?  I've never owned Coleman til I got him off waivers last week (used faab). So I never kept a close eye on him through the years. Highlights and Redzone don't tell the whole story as you know

Posted (edited)

I've never been a fan but he has churned out RB2 finishes three straight years despite being in a timeshare in ATL. I'd be confident he can do the same in SF if he can stay on the field.

Edited by griffin727

6 hours ago, Ruut6 said:

Just a heads up that the receiving stats also disagree with you.

TBH I’m not really sure how you can look at those red zone stats and honestly still call him “not great” at it. Those #s are elite.

You're right, and his yards per reception are phenomenal too. I'm typically a stats guy, but having watched him I just don't feel like I'm watching an elite RB. Obviously just my opinion vs stats so I certainly don't expect people to be swayed. I think it was a product of Atlanta's offense and how/when he was used. The rest of this year will be great for answering that question. If he has similar production in SF then I'm just flat out wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

May I ask why?  I've never owned Coleman til I got him off waivers last week (used faab). So I never kept a close eye on him through the years. Highlights and Redzone don't tell the whole story as you know

Trust me, I know it's not the greatest argument, but it's just eye test for me. And I know his TD and receiving stats are amazing, but I really feel like it was more how Atlanta used him. The big plays he went for always just looked there, like any RB would've done the same thing. I can't really ever think of a play he made where you go, wow, this guy's special. His production with SF will answer these questions. It'll be interesting.