urban2014

Tevin Coleman 2019 Outlook

Final thoughts on this topic. The opinion has seemingly shifted with Roto blurbs as well. Before, he was a player to avoid at all costs in a muddled backfield. Now, he is a speculative flex add. LMAO

3 hours ago, jeffnsee said:

Locked and loaded RB1 RoS

Nope. Tevin Coleman always has and always will be an RB2. He will still share work (whether that be Breida, Mostert, Wilson, or anyone else Shanahan takes a shot on). He’s not a bellcow and will not get bellcow work.

I’ve posted this before.

He was somewhere between RB16 and RB21 all three years in Atlanta. He’s a great investment for his ADP and a solid RB option, but he’s no RB1.

This is coming from maybe the most bullish TC person pre-season who took him in the 4th.

25 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

Nope. Tevin Coleman always has and always will be an RB2. He will still share work (whether that be Breida, Mostert, Wilson, or anyone else Shanahan takes a shot on). He’s not a bellcow and will not get bellcow work.

I’ve posted this before.

He was somewhere between RB16 and RB21 all three years in Atlanta. He’s a great investment for his ADP and a solid RB option, but he’s no RB1.

This is coming from maybe the most bullish TC person pre-season who took him in the 4th.

He will be this week if both Wilson and Breida are out.

Hell, I may pick up Mostert and start both of them against AZ. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

I’ve posted this before.

How do you differentiate between an RB1 and RB2? Is it talent, points scored, opportunity, or some combination of all?

Are you implying he is not or cannot be an RB1 because he shares the backfield with others? Because this is the case with most running backs. There are very few true "bell-cow" backs. 

I am not sure comparing his time in ATL to his current situation in SF is completely fair. He was always a complimentary piece in ATL. 

Coleman has averaged 16 rushes a game and 1.75 targets a game since his return from injury. That is RB1 type volume. When you consider the offense he is playing in and the scoring opportunities he will be provided, I am not sure how you can argue the possibility of Coleman being an RB1 (ROS). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rocket said:

He was injured in week one and in a committee, there was uncertainty what his role would be when he came back.  Meanwhile, the waiver wire pickups in Week's one & two, looked really promising.

1. He was playing in maybe the most RB friendly scheme in the NFL

2. Beat reporters in training camp consistently labeled him as the main guy

3. In his first game he was being used like the lead RB

I never understood why experts were calling him droppable - it always seemed clear that as soon as he came back he would be one of the top WW adds that week.  To be fair I was also really high on him pre season and was consistently taking him in the 5th.

1 hour ago, Ruut6 said:

I’ve posted this before.

He was never the 1a in ATL and he's the 1a in San Francisco right now.  

His upside is capped in that he wont get a Barkley/Zeke/Fournette/CMC level workload but less than 12 RBs get that type of work.  A RB10-12 (per game) finish is very achievable

1 hour ago, Grayson2401 said:

How do you differentiate between an RB1 and RB2? Is it talent, points scored, opportunity, or some combination of all?

Are you implying he is not or cannot be an RB1 because he shares the backfield with others? Because this is the case with most running backs. There are very few true "bell-cow" backs. 

I am not sure comparing his time in ATL to his current situation in SF is completely fair. He was always a complimentary piece in ATL. 

Coleman has averaged 16 rushes a game and 1.75 targets a game since his return from injury. That is RB1 type volume. When you consider the offense he is playing in and the scoring opportunities he will be provided, I am not sure how you can argue the possibility of Coleman being an RB1 (ROS). 

16 rushes and 2 targets is not rb1 type volume cmon man 

9 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

He was never the 1a in ATL and he's the 1a in San Francisco right now.  

His upside is capped in that he wont get a Barkley/Zeke/Fournette/CMC level workload but less than 12 RBs get that type of work.  A RB10-12 (per game) finish is very achievable

His main competition in Atlanta last year was Ito Smith. He was the 1a. He was still an RB2.

I like him a ton in Shanahan’s offense obviously, and I’ve been optimistic on him since the start (seriously, my posts in this thread and the Breida thread are fully pro-Tevin), but there is nothing to suggest he’s capable of being a dependent RB1. Shanahan will still distribute the rock because his scheme creates plays for everyone and keeping a fresh runner is usually beneficial.

Who knows, Shanahan may force feed him goal line work, and 16+ touches per game, but you’d pretty much be banking on him having the 8 game stretch of his career to finish an RB1 ROS.

I’m bullish, but not that bullish.

5 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

His main competition in Atlanta last year was Ito Smith. He was the 1a. He was still an RB2.

I like him a ton in Shanahan’s offense obviously, and I’ve been optimistic on him since the start (seriously, my posts in this thread and the Breida thread are fully pro-Tevin), but there is nothing to suggest he’s capable of being a dependent RB1. Shanahan will still distribute the rock because his scheme creates plays for everyone and keeping a fresh runner is usually beneficial.

Who knows, Shanahan may force feed him goal line work, and 16+ touches per game, but you’d pretty much be banking on him having the 8 game stretch of his career to finish an RB1 ROS.

I’m bullish, but not that bullish.

Shanahan wasn't in ATL last year so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

There's a big difference between the top 5 or 6 RBs and 6-12.  The top 5 or 6 are get great workloads and are consistent each and every week.  I agree that Coleman isn't going to be that.  But if we're talking finishing as a literal RB2, Coleman could easily fit in between RB10-12 because there aren't 12 true "RB1s" in the NFL.

Not sure why people are afraid to label him as an RB1 when the production speaks for itself. Calling him an RB1 doesn’t mean he’s on CMC or Cook’s level. There are high end RB1’s and low end RB1’s. 

Edited by GriffeySwag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Grayson2401 said:

The top 12 runnings backs have averaged 27.1, 23.8, 19.5, 16.0, 23.0, 26.0, 23.6, 23.3, 20.5, 21.3, 15.9, and 19.6 carries + targets per game.

That’s not even considering guys like Saquon, Mack, and Kamara who are all firmly ahead of Coleman.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves - Coleman is the 1A of a very good team and has a really good coach. But he’s a middle of the pack talent who will split work who is not matchup proof. Best to view him in the 15-18 range IMO.

Cook, CMC, Barkley, Zeke, Kamara, Carson, A Jones, Chubb, fournette 

Thats 9 guys right there that you’d be lying if you said you wouldn’t swap out for Coleman in a heartbeat. Most would say Connor and Bell as well making it eleven.Then you have guys like Jacobs, Gordon, Gurley, Mack, Henry And Ingram. I think best case he slides in somewhere with those guys as a low end rb1 

Edited by Nyblazer11235

9 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

There's a big difference between the top 5 or 6 RBs and 6-12.  The top 5 or 6 are get great workloads and are consistent each and every week.  I agree that Coleman isn't going to be that.  But if we're talking finishing as a literal RB2, Coleman could easily fit in between RB10-12 because there aren't 12 true "RB1s" in the NFL.

You literally said “he was never the 1A in Atlanta.” 

The back half of the RB1s - Carson, Fournette, Henry, Ingram, Jones, Mack, etc are still firmly entrenched with higher workloads than Coleman.

I would love to see the names some of you would take Coleman over right now.

• Like 1

Just now, Ruut6 said:

You literally said “he was never the 1A in Atlanta.” 

The back half of the RB1s - Carson, Fournette, Henry, Ingram, Jones, Mack, etc are still firmly entrenched with higher workloads than Coleman.

I would love to see the names some of you would take Coleman over right now.

Out of that group I would take Coleman over Derrick Henry and Mark Ingram.  

I think my point is that saying "RB1" and "RB2" is meaningless.  While there are going to be 12 literal RB1s, there are only a handful of RBs I would actually treat as RB1s.  RBs like Henry, Ingram, Mack, and maybe Jones I don't really think of as RB1s.  There's a huge difference between the top 4 or 5 and those guys.

16 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

Not sure why people are afraid to label him as an RB1 when the production speaks for itself. Calling him an RB1 doesn’t mean he’s on CMC or Cook’s level. There are high end RB1’s and low end RB1’s. 

Chubb, CMC, Kamara, Cook, Zeke, Barkley, Fournette, A Jones, Bell, Connor, Carson, Mack, Gurley, Ingram, Jacobs, Henry, Gordon, Eckler

Thats 18 names. Give me at least 7 of those names you wouldn’t give up coleman for without hesitation. 

Ugh. Passed on him due to injury concerns and the Breida/McKinnon factor. Shanahan heals all offensive wounds though.

• Like 1

Top 15 ROS in this heavy run offense that is usually leading. I’d buy if able. He just needs to stay healthy.

21 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

The top 12 runnings backs have averaged 27.1, 23.8, 19.5, 16.0, 23.0, 26.0, 23.6, 23.3, 20.5, 21.3, 15.9, and 19.6 carries + targets per game.

That’s not even considering guys like Saquon, Mack, and Kamara who are all firmly ahead of Coleman.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves - Coleman is the 1A of a very good team and has a really good coach. But he’s a middle of the pack talent who will split work who is not matchup proof. Best to view him in the 15-18 range IMO.

Touches alone do not a RB1 make. See Mixon, Peyton Barber, and any other high volume back that has a crappy line and fails to produce. Points are what make RBs RB1s. Otherwise the Ekeler thread would be one page long. 

9 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Touches alone do not a RB1 make. See Mixon, Peyton Barber, and any other high volume back that has a crappy line and fails to produce. Points are what make RBs RB1s. Otherwise the Ekeler thread would be one page long. 

Pretty much everything I’ve said in this thread has been taken out of context. Obviously fantasy production is not purely based on touches.

What we know now is that he's the 1A in a creative run-first offense that leads the league in rush attempts, and is backed by an elite defense that will keep the team in favorable game scripts to run the ball.

This thread should be silent. Ya'll should just be happy to have him instead of arguing about whether he's an RB1 or RB2 lol

• Like 4

I love Tevin Coleman. He is the goal line back, getting the most touches on the best run offense in the league with a great schedule ROS. However, I'd still try and sell high after this game. If I thought I could flip Tevin Coleman and a piece for a top tier RB, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

Personally, it'd take a big offer to get this guy off my team right now.

For all the talk of volume, committee, talent etc, I cannot see how he doesn't get double digit points basically every week (weather permitting). 

San Fran will almost never be so far out of a game that they abandon the run entirely, and he catches the ball well regardless, receivers are good enough to keep D's honest and the scheme is virtually unstoppable. 

Situation >>>>>>>>>>>> Talent (99% of the time disclaimer)
Still don't really know why he's so underrated. 

Situation > talent is true for FF most of the time. However, Coleman is not only in a perfect situation, but was a 2nd round pick of the Falcons for a reason. Explosive talent, perfect fit for Shanny's outside zone scheme. That's what he was drafted for. Atlanta got away from it when Shanny left, or at least couldn't execute a similar scheme to Shanny's.

Coleman + Shanahan reunited again, with a great defense, it's a dream scenario!

Edited by frog34

14 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

This was my point exactly. Nobody is saying he is among the elite tier of backs, but he could certainly finish with top-12 ROS numbers.