Slatykamora

Joey Wendle 2019 Outlook

A potential 300 hitter who could steal 10-20 bags. What makes him sneaky good is a power growth this year and evolve into a true 5 cat guy.

Only 7 HRs, but 41 doubles/triples. Which means he's in scoring position more often. Look for a bump in R/RBI with a better LU this year and likely better batting spot.

Granted there is no track record of power. Just a 5 HR/FB rate is pretty low for a guy who's Hard%, LD/HR Exit Velo, Launch Angle, are not awful. Not a stat-cast darling. Just average so a mid-level HR/FB rate is achievable.  His ISO jumped from .116 to .165 in the 2nd half.  His plate discipline massively improved the last 3 months too. Biggest attribute is putting the ball in play often than anything.

His ADP is low enough you don't even need a HR bump to retain ROI. Its just a potential sweetener

Fangraphs Profile            Statcast profile          BrooksBaseball Pitch FX data           Baseball Reference

• Like 2

I'm all in on Wendle as he provides something almost no one else does: a .300 hitter with huge multi-position eligibility (2B, 3B, SS, OF).

Having him as a bench player this season will prove invaluable as I read somewhere that the league schedule is more spread out this season, meaning that there will be a lot of days when your starters aren't playing.  I see him for .300/.350 with ~10 HRs, 75 RBI, 90 R, 15 SB.  He'll hit in the middle of a very well-built TB lineup and should get the counting stats as a result.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheTruth024 said:

Brandon Lowe take away any AB's this year??

If Wendle could only play 2B then I'd say it's possible, but the Rays move guys around and Wendle's bat is too valuable to them to lose ABs.

On 2/2/2019 at 6:27 PM, En Votto Veritas said:

If Wendle could only play 2B then I'd say it's possible, but the Rays move guys around and Wendle's bat is too valuable to them to lose ABs.

There is room at 3B with Matt Duffy being the starter as well. Wendle will be an every day player.

I just don't think Wendle has enough category juice to warrant anything more than a flyer. At best are we thinking he can be a 10/15 type player? That won't cut it.

42 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

There is room at 3B with Matt Duffy being the starter as well. Wendle will be an every day player.

I just don't think Wendle has enough category juice to warrant anything more than a flyer. At best are we thinking he can be a 10/15 type player? That won't cut it.

With an high avg that’s starter material with the counting stats. And that may be his floor.

3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

In a 5x5 with MI, CI, and 5 OF, it'll more than cut it when you combine it with a good BA, especially with his positional flexibility. There is most definitely a place for him. 

22 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

In a 5x5 with MI, CI, and 5 OF, it'll more than cut it when you combine it with a good BA, especially with his positional flexibility. There is most definitely a place for him. 

In a deep league, yes, I agree - but there are other "flyers" that would also be taken. Personally I'd prefer someone with a higher upside, but I do see your point that in a deep league with small benches, maybe the more steady player is better than a higher risk/reward player.

3 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

In a deep league, yes, I agree - but there are other "flyers" that would also be taken. Personally I'd prefer someone with a higher upside, but I do see your point that in a deep league with small benches, maybe the more steady player is better than a higher risk/reward player.

I don't know if they qualifies as a deep benches or small benches, but in my 12-team keeper, we have a 30-man rosters with 22 active. In my 14-team keeper, we have a 28-man roster with 20 active. I would love to add Wendle in both if the round is right. I like to own versatile players who I can be fairly confident won't hurt me as a day-off replacement or a DL replacement. I think Wendle qualifies.

Bump. Rehab went well, seems like a weekend return is now more likely than not. spacer.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LoGo said:

Bump. Rehab went well, seems like a weekend return is now more likely than not. spacer.png

Is he kind of like Jeff McNeil with more SBs?

Not starting and no news of activation. Sheesh.

44 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Is he kind of like Jeff McNeil with more SBs?

More steals but I don’t think he is the pure hitter that McNeil is

Wendle should start at 3B since Robertson isn't doing anything and Duffy doesn't when he is in.  2B is already spoken for at this point by one of the early leading canidates for Rookie of the Year.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Wendle should start at 3B since Robertson isn't doing anything and Duffy doesn't when he is in.  2B is already spoken for at this point by one of the early leading canidates for Rookie of the Year.

and your going to sit this Man?

C9KphWHXsAATR95.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jb_power said:

and your going to sit this Man?

C9KphWHXsAATR95.jpg

This was all I saw of your picture.  Just those numbers without any link to click on.  But I'm guessing it was funny though.

Posted (edited)

It could get confusing since they play so many guys at different spots but one of Adames or Robertson could head to the bench more often. Yandy Diaz is the one in the photo I believe though.

Edited by kingdavid206

it's not Chris Davis level, but Wendle doesn't have a hit this season. 0 for 16, after missing time with an injury. he also doesn't have a walk either.

Out for a pretty long time now:

X-rays have revealed that Joey Wendle suffered a fractured right wrist when he was hit by a pitch during Wednesday game versus the Royals.

Jake Diekman plunked him with an offering in the sixth inning. It's obviously rough news for Wendle, who just returned from a multiple-week absence with a hamstring injury. It's not clear at this point how long the infielder might be sidelined, but obviously it's going to be for a big chunk of time.

Source: Juan Toribio on Twitter           Apr 24, 2019, 4:00 PM

Hes one of my go to guys given his quad eligibility (1b, 2b, 3b, of). A nice plug and play guy when you need to fill out a lineup. 

Give him some time to knock the rust off. 

• Confused 1

Where is the playing time going to come from, or maybe better put, how are the Rays going to play all these guys with respect to our fantasy needs (I know they don't care about that, but we do!).  I want to pick this kid up but between Yandy, Lowe, Adames, Choi, and Wendle (Robertson & Duffy are on the IL) as well as the 4 OFers that need to play regularly there's going to be some sitting going on.  One OF/IF can run thru as the DH, but it means someone else sits.  The PT cycle will be interesting to see.

39 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Where is the playing time going to come from, or maybe better put, how are the Rays going to play all these guys with respect to our fantasy needs (I know they don't care about that, but we do!).  I want to pick this kid up but between Yandy, Lowe, Adames, Choi, and Wendle (Robertson & Duffy are on the IL) as well as the 4 OFers that need to play regularly there's going to be some sitting going on.  One OF/IF can run thru as the DH, but it means someone else sits.  The PT cycle will be interesting to see.

Aside from Meadows, Pham, Avisail...not sure if anyone is a set/forget type of player.