elroypedro

Kenyan Drake 2019 Outlook

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-dolphins-plan-part-ways-ryan-tannehill-tank-2019-season-tua-tagovailoa-053122204.html?bcmt=1

What does this early offseason news about the Dolphins tanking in 2019 mean for Drake?

Looks like they won’t be signing Bell or any other major free agents. Drake, Ballage, and Bolden will probably be the backfield depth chart, with Osweiler or similar type QB running the ship. New coaching staff(Flores and his Patriots buddies) should be especially good for the pass catching backs in Drake and Bolden.

I think this is good news for Drake, in that Bell won’t be there and Flores and O’Shea come from the team that utilizes pass-catching backs(like Drake) as well as any. But it also muddies the water because tanking could screw with the usage and depth chart - why not give all three backs plus some practice squad guys in on things if they don’t care about winning, right?

Thoughts on Drake 2019?

Kalen Ballage looked pretty good near the end of the 2018 season so I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins go with a 2-headed monster of Drake and Ballage.  They could also add a free agent rb.

Most likely avoiding all Dolphins' players in 2019.  Every year the team that everyone expects to be god awful rarely is, for example everyone thought the Bills and Dolphins would win 2-3 games a piece MAX, and yet they won 6 and 7 games respectively.  So I'm sure the Dolphins won't be God awful, but I don't see much talent on that team, especially if they part ways with Tanny, Parker, Stills, Quinn, etc.  Avoiding the Dolphins across the board next year.  

The Palm Beach Post's Joe Schad reports the Dolphins and contract-year RB Kenyan Drake have had no discussions about an extension.

This really isn't at all surprising. Drake was underused by ex-coach Adam Gase and his staff but has been a playmaker when given the chance to be a lead back. That just wasn't the case last year due to the infatuation with Frank Gore, Brandon Bolden, and anyone else the Dolphins could find other than Drake. But Drake says he's been studying up on James White tape to prepare for the 2019 season under new OC Chad O'Shea, the former Patriots staffer. Drake just turned 25 in January and is obviously in the thick of his theoretical prime.

Studying James White tape?

Ok, you got my attention.

i want him to slide a little bit in ADP if I'm taking a shot at him.   I like the idea of having him as a potential flex, but at a price that I won't vomit over if he gets buried under a rebuilding offense full of 3 and outs. 

• Thanks 1

Drake is just a bad runningback. He couldn’t beat out Lacy, Henry, and Yeldon in college. He couldn’t beat out Ajayi, decrepit Arian Foster, Damien Williams, old man Gore, and now possibly Ballage + whoever they draft with the Dolphins. None of these guys were anything special. He has gotten some decent fantasy production through the air but his receiving metrics are atrocious, like worst in the NFL at his position bad. With a worst in the NFL type situation I wouldn’t even bother spending a single digit round pick on him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Drake is just a bad runningback. He couldn’t beat out Lacy, Henry, and Yeldon in college. He couldn’t beat out Ajayi, decrepit Arian Foster, Damien Williams, old man Gore, and now possibly Ballage + whoever they draft with the Dolphins. None of these guys were anything special. He has gotten some decent fantasy production through the air but his receiving metrics are atrocious, like worst in the NFL at his position bad. With a worst in the NFL type situation I wouldn’t even bother spending a single digit round pick on him.

Lol.

This is a very very bad write-up on Kenyan drake.

Drake was battling more conventional RBs in college and did well to find a pass catching role and special teams ace and he got some carries between the tackles as well. It's not like he was gonna start over Lacy, Yeldon, Henry. They were crazy productive in college but players can also get better and Drake has shown what he is capable of. I think Drake has looked great in his opportunities, he is explosive, makes huge plays. The fact that he couldn't get playing time behind all those dolphin RBs you mentioned is more of an indictment on Adam Gase than it is on Drake. Nobody who watched the dolphins the last 2 years can not say Drake was their most explosive and talented RB but Gase refused to use him.

I mean, this is the same Gase that had Damien Williams 3rd string getting no PT, goes to KC and runs straight up the depth chart to starter. Gase just thinks he is so smart and maybe no one will ever know why Gase disliked Drake but I doubt it was cause he might give up a sack in pass pro. That is just a silly reason to keep Drake off the field. Gase prefers old man gore falling forward through the correct hole for 4 yards instead of letting Drake get some more opportunities for an explosive play by taking a couple chances. Drake tries to make big plays and I think Gase just hates a RB going off script. Plays like this probably drove Gase crazy even though Drake balled out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZoE3p4YbI4

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Lol.

Drake was battling more conventional RBs in college and did well to find a pass catching role and special teams ace and he got some carries between the tackles as well. It's not like he was gonna start over Lacy, Yeldon, Henry. They were crazy productive in college but players can also get better and Drake has shown what he is capable of. I think Drake has looked great in his opportunities, he is explosive, makes huge plays. The fact that he couldn't get playing time behind all those dolphin RBs you mentioned is more of an indictment on Adam Gase than it is on Drake. Nobody who watched the dolphins the last 2 years can not say Drake was their most explosive and talented RB but Gase refused to use him.

I mean, this is the same Gase that had Damien Williams 3rd string getting no PT, goes to KC and runs straight up the depth chart to starter. Gase just thinks he is so smart and maybe no one will ever know why Gase disliked Drake but I doubt it was cause he might give up a sack in pass pro. That is just a silly reason to keep Drake off the field. Gase prefers old man gore falling forward through the correct hole for 4 yards instead of letting Drake get some more opportunities for an explosive play by taking a couple chances. Drake tries to make big plays and I think Gase just hates a RB going off script. Plays like this probably drove Gase crazy even though Drake balled out:

Well, that's a little disingenuous. He didn't exactly run straight up the depth chart to starter. It took a physical assault and a plodder and  late round rookie being the only other RB's on the depth chart for him to get playing time. I do agree that Drake was the best RB on the Miami roster and Gase is a terrible coach, but much like Christine Michael, there must be a reason why coaches don't like/trust him.

• Like 1

I've never followed him closely but I thought drake had pretty big injury concerns. Qasnt half the reason he didnt play much late last year due to a shoulder injury 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZoE3p4YbI4

I think Gase utilized him perfectly and put Drake in the best position possible for him to do the things he does well (i.e. run fast). The Dolphins were predicted to be horrible last year and actually exceeded expectations. Gase did a solid job putting that roster in the playoff hunt, and clearly the NFL agrees as he was snapped up for another job in an instant.

There was no reason to give Drake extended carries on the ground when Gore was outproducing him, even when accounting for Drake’s explosive plays. People wanted more volume for Drake due to his excellent fantasy point per touch ratio and thought that he was being held back, but that efficiency was more due to his role suiting his strengths and being put in a position to succeed rather than being some mega talent who is hated and held back by his coach for no reason.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I think Gase utilized him perfectly and put Drake in the best position possible for him to do the things he does well (i.e. run fast). The Dolphins were predicted to be horrible last year and actually exceeded expectations. Gase did a solid job putting that roster in the playoff hunt, and clearly the NFL agrees as he was snapped up for another job in an instant.

There was no reason to give Drake extended carries on the ground when Gore was outproducing him, even when accounting for Drake’s explosive plays. People wanted more volume for Drake due to his excellent fantasy point per touch ratio and thought that he was being held back, but that efficiency was more due to his role suiting his strengths and being put in a position to succeed rather than being some mega talent who is hated and held back by his coach for no reason.

4.6ypc for gore versus Drake's 4.5. talk about splitting hairs. Lol.

Drake was the best all around back on that football team. Gase had been in miami for 3 full seasons and only had them in the playoff hunt? Is that the expectations for Jets? Jets hiring Gase just makes that organization a bigger laughing stock than they already are.

There is no proof that Drake's efficiency was due to his limited role because in 2017 when Damien Williams got hurt and Gase was basically forced to feed Drake that's when Kenyan proceeded to finish the 2017 season as the leading rusher in the 2nd half of the season. That dispels the notion that he can not be Uber productive on more touches.

No sir, Gase is just an ego maniac. He knows football and I'm sure the Jets will love a coach that will almost get them to the playoffs but coaches certainly do have egos that effect their decision making, it's not all as black and white as just saying oh, well, the coach had him in the right role. Based on what? Him getting fired for underachieving?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

4.6ypc for gore versus Drake's 4.5. talk about splitting hairs. Lol.

Drake was the best all around back on that football team. Gase had been in miami for 3 full seasons and only had them in the playoff hunt? Is that the expectations for Jets? Jets hiring Gase just makes that organization a bigger laughing stock than they already are.

There is no proof that Drake's efficiency was due to his limited role because in 2017 when Damien Williams got hurt and Gase was basically forced to feed Drake that's when Kenyan proceeded to finish the 2017 season as the leading rusher in the 2nd half of the season. That dispels the notion that he can not be Uber productive on more touches.

No sir, Gase is just an ego maniac. He knows football and I'm sure the Jets will love a coach that will almost get them to the playoffs but coaches certainly do have egos that effect their decision making, it's not all as black and white as just saying oh, well, the coach had him in the right role. Based on what? Him getting fired for underachieving?

All around back? Drake? Wtf are we talking about the same player? Drake does one thing well at the NFL level: run fast when nobody is around him. Other than that he is below average at basically every part of the NFL running game. He lacks vision and patience, lacks power and drive, runs east-west in an upright position and takes tons of negative gains, has stone hands, the list goes on. I’m really not sure where this notion of him being a talent came from? He is a raw athlete with the same level of skill he had coming into the league.

Stat I found interesting enough to add-  when he got 6 carries or more last season (12 games)- he averaged 15.7 points- that would be David Johnson (2018 version) territory

Since a lot of people feel like Miami could be this year's Arizona, and DJ (who we probably all think is a better back than Drake) had over 2x as many carries to get that total, does this help or hurt the case for Drake?   

Posted (edited)

We'll have to see what they do in the draft, but so far it seems Drake could be a post-hype sleeper, especially in ppr.  The fact that Drake is studying film of James White is a really nice offseason factoid.

Imagine a player focusing on football and getting better in the offseason, instead of tweeting out smack talk, getting arrested at the club, or "dropping" poorly constructed rap albums.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 11:07 PM, MJJ28 said:

All around back? Drake? Wtf are we talking about the same player? Drake does one thing well at the NFL level: run fast when nobody is around him. Other than that he is below average at basically every part of the NFL running game. He lacks vision and patience, lacks power and drive, runs east-west in an upright position and takes tons of negative gains, has stone hands, the list goes on. I’m really not sure where this notion of him being a talent came from? He is a raw athlete with the same level of skill he had coming into the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-kenyan-drake

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

“Metrics that matter”

Gives us a metric that is half full of no namers and only 4/15 studs. Lol.

Define “half full of no namers,” if you don’t mind.

Once you’ve finished laughing out loud, mind you.

Edited by BMcP

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Define “half full of no namers,” if you don’t mind.

Once you’ve finished laughing out loud, mind you.

Derrick Ward, Spiller, Pierce, Ajayi, McFadden, Bush were mediocre players at their peak and certainly not the kind of guys I’d compare someone to when trying to generate hype. They will be forgotten by all as time passes. Jackson, Blount, Stewart, and Williams were solid players with brief flashes of excellent play, but again, not all that great in the grand scheme. AP, Kamara, and Charles were/are studs.

Am I supposed to be impressed by the company Drake keeps in this metric or something? The vast majority of seasons from these 14 guys were not seasons one would enjoy owning in fantasy.

Edited by MJJ28

I can’t answer for what you are supposed to be impressed by.  Frankly, that’s irrelevant.  What is relevant is the fact that Drake possesses elusiveness that only a few backs in history have demonstrated in a meaningful sample size.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I can’t answer for what you are supposed to be impressed by.  Frankly, that’s irrelevant.  What is relevant is the fact that Drake possesses elusiveness that only a few backs in history have demonstrated in a meaningful sample size.

Lol. You drew this conclusion from a single statistic (yards after contact per attempt) with a cherry picked sample size (100 carries) from 2007-2017? History? Do you not realize how ridiculous this is? 🤣

You’d think Drake was a Barry Sanders/Jim Brown hybrid composite from the way people speak of him around here. 😂

Edited by MJJ28
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I don’t think you understand what “cherry-picked” means.  It is a statistically relevant sample size.  If you have any qualms with the analysis, don’t attack the messenger - take it up with the PFF analysts.

Your appeal ab absurdo is noted but not particularly well articulated.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I don’t think you understand what “cherry-picked” means.  It is a statistically relevant sample size.  If you have any qualms with the analysis, don’t attack the messenger - take it up with the PFF analysts.

Your appeal ab absurdo is noted but not particularly well articulated.

You just claimed that Drake “possesses elusiveness that only a few backs in history have demonstrated” when the article says nothing of the sort. Why would i take it up with PFF?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MJJ28 said:

You just claimed that Drake “possesses elusiveness that only a few backs in history have demonstrated” when the article says nothing of the sort. Why would i take it up with PFF?

You can do what you will - the facts in the article speak for themselves.  He had the most efficient season for a RB that PFF has ever recorded.  Working behind one of the worst O-lines in recent history in the NFL.  

It’s up to you what you do with that info, but the facts are indisputable.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, BMcP said:

You can do what you will - the facts in the article speak for themselves.  He had the most efficient season for a RB that PFF has ever recorded.  Working behind one of the worst O-lines in recent history in the NFL.  

It’s up to you what you do with that info, but the facts are indisputable.

You are making things up. Nowhere in the article does it say that he had the most efficient season for a RB that PFF has ever recorded. The article is about a single stat that PFF measured that Drake performed better than anyone else in from 2007-2017.