elroypedro

Kenyan Drake 2019 Outlook

32 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

I'm thinking about that too, but the downside is that you've handcuffed one of the least inspiring offenses in the league.

Yeah but it's a new coach and a new system so who knows.  If Gase were still there I would agree with this totally.  I'm very down on the Fins offense but bad offenses have become good overnight with a coaching change.

13 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Yeah but it's a new coach and a new system so who knows. 

That's not necessarily a good thing. 

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

That's not necessarily a good thing. 

Yes but it can't get much worse than last year.  They have nowhere to go but up.

13 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Yes but it can't get much worse than last year.  They have nowhere to go but up.

Things always look darkest right before pitch black.   :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Gonna be a PPR stud this year

Based on...?

Btw in case you missed it:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article233985942.html

Kenyan Drake’s preseason is likely done, and the running back’s availability for the opener is in some doubt after sustaining a foot injury during Tuesday’s practice.

Drake was held out Wednesday, watching the Dolphins’ and Buccaneers’ joint practice from the sideline with his right foot in a walking boot.

Posted (edited)

If he's got a lis franc injury which are hard to tell... could last longer 

Edited by hard1

With Ballage looking like a JAG out there tonight, Drake is looking like a steal for those who got him at his currently deflated ADP.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

With Ballage looking like a JAG out there tonight, Drake is looking like a steal for those who got him at his currently deflated ADP.

I have both of them in varied leagues I've drafted in this year.  However I will say that as a fantasy owner you shouldn't consider "your guy" to have magically gotten better while injured and sitting on the bench just because the other guy had a bad night.  It just means that both guys will likely be JAGs who struggle to put up Flex worthy numbers in a really terrible offense yet have the tools to sometimes flash and give you more. If you're relying on a guy like Drake to be a "steal" (or Ballege for that matter) then you're trying too hard.  Both Drake and Ballege look like a poor man's Lamar Miller this year at best. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

That whole Dolphins offense is JAG. I'm not sure Ballage or Drake will be a any kind of steal this season (I own Ballage). 

• Like 1

I'd stay away from both tbh. 

34 minutes ago, yossarian said:

That whole Dolphins offense is JAG. I'm not sure Ballage or Drake will be a any kind of steal this season (I own Ballage). 

10 hours ago, jumper said:

I have both of them in varied leagues I've drafted in this year.  However I will say that as a fantasy owner you shouldn't consider "your guy" to have magically gotten better while injured and sitting on the bench just because the other guy had a bad night.  It just means that both guys will likely be JAGs who struggle to put up Flex worthy numbers in a really terrible offense yet have the tools to sometimes flash and give you more. If you're relying on a guy like Drake to be a "steal" (or Ballege for that matter) then you're trying too hard.  Both Drake and Ballege look like a poor man's Lamar Miller this year at best. 

When has Drake been bad? I must've missed it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

When has Drake been bad? I must've missed it

Look the guy is an NFL player so basically by definition he's a great player, probably better than 99.8% of the starting college RBs out there.  Still doesn't mean he's a great FANTASY football option since he's still on a bad team with a poor OL, questionable QB play, and Ballege nipping at his heels for touches.  Maybe if you put him into a different situation on another team and he'd be an easy RB2 pick.  But I'm dealing with the 2019 reality situation and not "what might be."   Even if everything went well for him and the OL outperformed, Rosen started looking semi-competent, etc.  would you still want to rely on this guy to be your RB2 this year?  Or even your Flex really?  Sure for the right price I'll draft him in some leagues and use him as depth but that's what he realistically is this year on most fantasy squads.

• Like 1

Just now, jumper said:

Look the guy is an NFL player so basically by definition he's a great player, probably better than 99.8% of the starting college RBs out there.  Still doesn't mean he's a great FANTASY football option since he's still on a bad team with a poor OL, questionable QB play, and Ballege nipping at his heels for touches.  Maybe if you put him into a different situation on another team and he'd be an easy RB2 pick.  But I'm dealing with the 2019 reality situation and not "what might be."   Even if everything went well for him and the OL outperformed, Rosen started looking semi-competent, etc.  would you still want to rely on this guy to be your RB2 this year?  Or even your Flex really?  Sure for the right price I'll draft him in some leagues and use him as depth but that's what he realistically is this year on most fantasy squads.

Its impressive he was able to put up Rb2 numbers from deep with Gases doghouse.   Needs to get healthy but he’s acceptably priced 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, jumper said:

Rosen was QB for a terrible cardinals team last year, worse than the dolphins this year and his RB, DJ still ended up as RB9 in ppr despite being on an inept team. There are fantasy points to be had on a bad football team and Kenyan Drake is the true fantasy threat in that backfield because of how well he catches the ball in addition to running it and returning punts 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Rosen was QB for a terrible cardinals team last year, worse than the dolphins this year and his RB, DJ still ended up as RB9 in ppr despite being on an inept team. There are fantasy points to be had on a bad football team and Kenyan Drake is the true fantasy threat in that backfield because of how well he catches the ball in addition to running it and returning punts 

Point taken about the "points to be had even on bad teams" but hopefully you can likewise concede the point that DJ is a much better player than Drake (the dude finished 1st overall for all PPR players in 2017).  Like I said I own Drake in a handful of leagues I've drafted this year and happy with his opportunity relative to cost paid.  But I'm not fooling myself that he's going to have some amazing year when he struggled to get backend RB2 numbers last year and backend RB3 numbers in 2017.  His consensus ADP is in the RB3 range (RB31 per FantasyPros) and that seems about right.  Like I said, suitable but not ideal Flex material and a guy who's both currently injured and in the first 4 regular season games is facing some pretty stout defenses (v. BAL, v. NE, at DAL, v LAC before an early (week 5) bye.  My guess is if you want him, the man will be available on a lot of waiver wires during that bye week and you can have him if you want him and for even cheaper (in FAAB bucks) than you'd pay for him in the draft. Let someone else spend the draft capital, get frustrated while the Drake vs. Ballege situation gets sorted out, and if he's decent pick him up off the WW or trade for him since he'd likely be cheap to acquire.  Like I said most folks are going to consider him something like a poor man's Lamar Miller this year since he's theoretically in a timeshare and the talent levels are likely similar.  His playoff schedule is better than his first few games anyway (in weeks 14-16 he faces NYJ and NYG away and CIN at home).  If he can't make hay against those clown car teams then he ain't worth having. 

• Like 1

I love this kids talent.  He was so under utilized last year by Gase and his staff (which worries me about Bell in NY a little bit).  I'm really hoping the foot issue pushes him back a couple of rounds cuz I think he's going to have a very solid season.  His ceiling will be limited by the Dolphins poor roster, but he's a 3 down back who does a nice job as a receiver, so the GTP should be there.

• Like 1

I hope Miami uses Drake like they should. Ballage had a chance last night and crapped the bed (12 for 17 for an avg of 1.4 and 2 receptions for -2 yards). I don't get the hype for Ballage.

• Like 2

I don't know much anything about this guy Ballage. What are the predictions on him for the 2019 season? The only thing I have seen is he is the #1 RB on the depth chart.

Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, CawCaw said:

I don't know much anything about this guy Ballage. What are the predictions on him for the 2019 season? The only thing I have seen is he is the #1 RB on the depth chart.

I'm a Dolphins fan and at this point I don't care much for Ballage. This reminds me of the Lamar Miller situation all over again. Miller would be making great plays but never really give him a chance. He then goes on to play well for another team.  This seems to be happening with Drake.  When they involve Drake and give him a decent amount of touches he has made some big plays. He is shifty, catches the ball well and makes people miss in the open field.  It is unfortunately Miami can continually screw things up year in and year out.  

Edited by Big Nate
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I'm a Dolphins fan and at this point I don't care much for Ballage. This reminds me of the Lamar Miller situation all over again. Miller would be making great plays but never really give him a chance. He then goes on to play well for another team.  This seems to be happening with Drake.  When they involve Drake and give him a decent amount of touches he has made some big plays. He is shifty, catches the ball well and makes people miss in the open field.  It is unfortunately Miami can continually screw things up year in and year out.  

I’m sorry about being a Dolphins fan- fun color scheme at least. Both Drake and D Williams have had fantastic efficiency/production per touch in Miami, and have had awesome tape as well. They just are horribly mismanaged.

This could all change, but both Philbin and Gase were utter disgraces in managing talent, two of the worst in the league in recent memory, along with the Fishers and Hues of the league.

Guess we will all see if there is like a gas leak in the Miami front offices causing this “disease” among the coaches or if Flores will do better with his depth chart and be able to actually hang onto his job because of it. Not overly optimistic that he is good at his job as a Belichick disciple though. Shoot just look at Vrabel and Patricia for bad Belichick disciples who mismanaged talented RBs just last year.

Edited by elroypedro

Seems like Drake could be decent value as your 4th or 5th RB. I don’t think anyone is drafting him to start for their fantasy squad week 1, but he could be a decent flex or bye week fill-in during the season.