einstein2u

Mike Clevinger 2019 Outlook

It's tough to get any concrete data on pitches from under 2 innings but the stuff was mostly there, just not the command of it. FA averaged 97 MPH and touched 100 with same killer vertical breakage--he got 3 whiffs with it, just was missing a ton on the inner half to RH. He also registered whiffs with all three of his other secondaries. I am not sure of much, but I would bet he gets things figured out in a hurry, in fact I am gonna run him out there in his next start with little thought of benching.

Posted (edited)

Clevinger is healthy. Now he just needs to get his mind right and take care of the personal stuff going on in his life during the Allstar break. If he wants to play the field well he needs to pay the baby mom to shut the hell up and stop airing dirty laundry to the public. Clevinger comes off as immature. Hoping someone from the organization is on top of this. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56
  • Like 1

This should be a cupcake matchup and I was so looking forward to getting this guy back off the IL as my SP1... been debating all day whether or not to bench... until he proves he can control his stuff, I might have to hold off 

1 minute ago, Motown_Magic said:

This should be a cupcake matchup and I was so looking forward to getting this guy back off the IL as my SP1... been debating all day whether or not to bench... until he proves he can control his stuff, I might have to hold off 

I’m benching tonight, tired of getting my pitching blown up every week, he will be a sit til I see a decent game 

2 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

I’m benching tonight, tired of getting my pitching blown up every week, he will be a sit til I see a decent game 

Thank you for your sacrifice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

I can’t keep goin down with this ship. Hopefully the ship gets repaired soon, cuz I need it. Going to do the same 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Motown_Magic said:

I can’t keep goin down with this ship. Hopefully the ship gets repaired soon, cuz I need it. Going to do the same 

He's only started 4 games this year. His 2 blowups were first starts back from dl stints. I dont understand why hes a "bench until he's good" guy right now. I'm starting with  confidence, and if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but hes a stud and I start my studs.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

He's only started 4 games this year. His 2 blowups were first starts back from dl stints. I dont understand why hes a "bench until he's good" guy right now. I'm starting with  confidence, and if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but hes a stud and I start my studs.

Agreed ^^ 

I am starting him again this week w/ probably not as much confidence as you but he is a stud all the same and you have to just commit to your studs 

13 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Wish I had started him today

I do too, but really happy seeing him pitching great.

Clev gets the anti-Tito treatment and pulled after 79 pitches?

2 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Thank you for your sacrifice. 

Legit feel my rate of saying "thank you for your sacrifice" on these types of posts on the board.... 80% of the time they ball out right after.

I started him, so again, thank you for your sacrifice wahoo, you da man.

• Thanks 1

Glad to have the real Clev back. Though my opinion of him has soured if his family stuff is true. I guess baseball players spend lot of time away, but you dont cheat on a wife especially with kids.

Where has this throwing octane gas come from? Last year he was around 93-95 and relied more on slider/change. This year hes trying to blow heaters by everyone.

He needs to reel it back a little and go back to being a pitcher, don't think hitting the shelf with his back injury was a coincidence.

This beast induced 23 whiffs, racking up 12 K’s in just 6 innings of work last night. Make no mistake fellas, this guy’s an ace. And the fact that has the luxury of feasting on AL central lineups with that oh-so sweet ace stuff, well, it only enhances his value that much more. And lick them chops boys, cause ROS, Clevy’s still in line for two more starts apiece against the Royals, ChiSox, and everyone’s favorite punching bag of a lineup - the Detroit Tigers. Mmmmm, yummy. Giddy-up!

• Like 4

Next three starts: @ min, vs bos, @ nyy.    Let’s see what the kid is made of....

• Like 1

We already know what he's made of. Must-start in all matchups.

• Like 1

Guy is an ace.

Posted (edited)

No runs, 10 K's on a hot summer's day inside of a miniature baseball stadium against the big swinging sticks of the Yankees......

spacer.png

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2019 at 12:19 PM, swfcdan said:

If he can stay healthy this guy could be a genuine ace. Peripherals are pure filth this year albeit SSS.

Maybe it was due to throwing harder which in turn put his back out, will be interesting to check his velo on friday. But even if he goes back to 2018 Clev I'd be more than happy with that.

We just want you back for good Clev!

Well since I posted that things have been just dandy.

Incredibly with the crazy offense around now, he's been even BETTER this year. Due to throwing harder and getting insane whiffs on that heater: 96mph avg, 94mph avg last year.

xFIP (2.39!) and FIP (2.67) now dropped over a run from last year.

If his body can continue this he has to be clear top 10 approaching top 5 now. Question is can his body hold up throwing high octane cheddar?

Tito's proven ability to abuse SP's makes me nervous too (over 100 pitches last 8 starts ffs). Talking more about next year though for those in keepers. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-retooled-mike-clevinger-is-something-to-behold/

Edited by swfcdan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Really need big Clev to dominate the Tigers today. They have the highest K% and the lowest wRC+ in baseball.

giphy.gif

Isn’t that the recipe for a shelling?

12 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Really need big Clev to dominate the Tigers today. They have the highest K% and the lowest wRC+ in baseball.

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Isn’t that the recipe for a shelling?

Apparently not, no. Or at least not when it comes the Norse God that is Mike Clevinger. No matter the recipe, the cooking utensils held within Clevy’s arsenal - all of which he uses at his disposal as he damn-well pleases - none of it will allow for any sort of shelling or shelled cusine on the menu. Also not currently on the menu: anything creamed, smoked, whipped, or battered. You see, Michael Anthony Clevinger is very, and I do mean very particular with what he’s offering at the dish these days. Take today’s menu for example, to which he prepared for the Detroit Tigers baseball club. He offered up one thing and one thing only. Today’s dish: 8 innings pitched, 4 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs, with a hearty portion side of 10 strikeouts; served COLD.  Bone appetite!

• Haha 1