einstein2u

Mike Clevinger 2019 Outlook

25 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Could pitch for the Indians next weekend. 

Source?

it can't be that bad considering he finished the rest of the game that he was injured. I don't expect him to miss much time.

Posted (edited)

Well hangin is getting his wish as it is now official:

Indians placed RHP Mike Clevinger on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to June 18, with a sprained left ankle.

Clevinger rolled the ankle on Monday in his first start back from the injured list after missing over two months with a back injury. The Indians are hopeful that he'll miss just one turn this time, but it will just depend on how he recovers. Aaron Civale will start Saturday in his place.

Jun 21, 2019, 3:38 PM ET

Welp back up to 4 injured pitchers on that team now.  (Clevenger, Kluber, Eovaldi, Weaver).  SP there are an endangered species and it is the one team I don't own Caleb Smith in.  They are dropping like flies this season.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Ugh I really want to start him for this juicy matchup, but I'm scared to pull the trigger. 

Just now, Tryptamine said:

Ugh I really want to start him for this juicy matchup, but I'm scared to pull the trigger. 

Same. Too much time for a banana peel to find him...or his wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, herschel said:

Clevinger 4-0 with a 1.80 era career vs Baltimore.

Thats pretty bad against the orioles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Worth noting that I have not seen this news on any official channels. Weekly leaguers may have to wait.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Worth noting that I have not seen this news on any official channels. Weekly leaguers may have to wait.

Are you saying someone on Twitter named Chris Assenheimer might not be a reliable source?

Edit: looks like he is a real person and the news is legit. My apologies Mr. Assenheimer.

Edited by meh2
  • Haha 5

53 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

This is from CBS:

by RotoWire Staff
(2 hrs ago) Clevinger (ankle) will return from the injured list to start Friday against Baltimore, Chris Assenheimer of the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram reports.

Clevinger sprained his ankle in his first start back from the 60-day injured list last Monday. He threw a bullpen session Monday which went well, so he'll wind up missing just a single start.

• Like 1

If he can stay healthy this guy could be a genuine ace. Peripherals are pure filth this year albeit SSS.

Maybe it was due to throwing harder which in turn put his back out, will be interesting to check his velo on friday. But even if he goes back to 2018 Clev I'd be more than happy with that.

We just want you back for good Clev!

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2019 at 7:19 AM, swfcdan said:

If he can stay healthy this guy could be a genuine ace. Peripherals are pure filth this year albeit SSS.

Maybe it was due to throwing harder which in turn put his back out, will be interesting to check his velo on friday. But even if he goes back to 2018 Clev I'd be more than happy with that.

We just want you back for good Clev!

[...] I’d be over the moon with a sub 5 era type start that he just finishes.

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 1

I know the IL hangover is a thing, but a 7-run 1.2 inning face-caving at the hands the lowly O's?  Ouch.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I was really looking forward to starting him next week but after this he has to stay glued to the bench until he shows a little life.

For those who watched the start, was it as bad as the stat line / box score looks? Anything positive to take away from the outing?

1 hour ago, k.k. said:

For those who watched the start, was it as bad as the stat line / box score looks? Anything positive to take away from the outing?

He had heat, but just couldn't locate it as evidenced by the 29 strikes and 23 balls he threw.  He had a couple 0-2 or 1-2 counts that resulted in BB.

He's not back into the flow of his game yet and despite it being against the O's those hitters are all deep into the season and in game shape; it's gotta be a lot like ST for him right now.  Remember this is only his 4th start and he hasn't had 2 consecutive starts in a normal cadence since he got hurt. 

If you can I think you may want to sit him through the ASG but some of us can't afford to wait on a top 15 upside arm.  I'll have him in my lineup this week against the Royals.

22 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Rumors swirling of off field drama for this guy.  Doesn’t sound pretty:

Jun 14

This off-the-field stuff with Mike Clevinger and his girlfriend feels gross. He kicks her & their kids out of their house a few weeks ago and now she’s posting Instagram stories about how he gave her STDs. Something very wrong is going on here.

I must've missed the one about STDs.  Just saw lots of raging in caps.

Yikes... she is really airing the dirty laundry out there.  I'll keep my opinion to myself, but this kind of thing never goes well regarding the consistency of a ballplayer.  As terrible as it sounds, the best case scenario for his performance this year is that he lacks the moral fiber to let any of this bother him.  The same as with anything else, we'll just have to wait and see what the end result is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lebanasty said:

I must've missed the one about STDs.  Just saw lots of raging in caps.

Yikes... she is really airing the dirty laundry out there.  I'll keep my opinion to myself, but this kind of thing never goes well regarding the consistency of a ballplayer.  As terrible as it sounds, the best case scenario for his performance this year is that he lacks the moral fiber to let any of this bother him.  The same as with anything else, we'll just have to wait and see what the end result is.

Agreed I’m not trying to play Keeping Up With The Clevinger’s, but sometimes players struggles go beyond baseball.  Prince had a bad stretch going through divorce, Zobrist is forfeiting millions to deal with his personal struggles.  Just something for people to keep in mind who own him.  Respect your take though, agree completely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, k.k. said:

It was bad, terrible, unbelievable, unwatchable. He was so hyped, he just needs to calm down, his heart was racing a mile a minute,he was out of control. Not sure what the Indians should do, take him out of the rotation, send him down, use him in long relief, drug test him, something is wrong with this guy, he needs help.This is my opinion, this is what I saw. Needs to be mentally evaluated.My buddy told me, to many energy drinks, I don't know? I can say this, he won't be pitching anytime soon for my team, even-though, I'm with-out Klubler,Montas,Lopez, and Archer(no big loss-he sucks)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

His wife (or girlfriend?) with whom he has two children recently found out that he’s been cheating on her, and is extremely vocal about it on Twitter. I think Clevinger’s pitching issues are 100% a mental issue right now due to the stuff going on in his personal life. Just a small taste of the drama below:

On 6/24/2019 at 5:00 PM, herschel said:

Clevinger 4-0 with a 1.80 era career vs Baltimore.

You can move that decimal over to the right.  :*(

I see this, so the velocity was there.