CrypTviLL

Eddie Rosario 2019 Outlook

Finding it hard to figure this guy out. Had a breakout then rip due to injury in 2019. How do we feel here?

For all the ups and downs last year, he ended with a very similar line to 2017. About the same BB%, K%, AVG, BABIP and OBP. A little drop in slugging - he hit more fly balls but fewer HRs so maybe some bad luck.

I kinda think we know who he is now and he’ll have a similar 2019. That’s what I’d pay for anyway. I’d probably rather buy him low after a slump than draft him. 

Jekyl and Hyde

Still dunno what happened to him.

I assumed it was a nagging injury but I haven't heard anything about it.

The vibe that I'm getting from Rosario in my drafts so far is that no one really wants to touch him. Yahoo has him ranked at 60 and ADP is at 70.

Additionally, not many are talking about him. I think this is due to how much he struggled down the stretch due to injury.

This could present a very nice option for profit. If he hits with a solid .AVG and produces near 30 bombs with good counting stats, he could be huge this year.

He has a 1.053 OPS so far this spring.  Best strategy might be to draft him, hope for a similar May/June as 2018 and then trade him while his value is high.

On 2/9/2019 at 4:26 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

kEn1aWs.jpg

June 21 Eddie sat out a game with "shoulder soreness," that he battled for the rest of the season. He re-injured a nagging quad in late August and missed most of September. The timeline suggests that his healthy ceiling could be top 10 OF: .300/90/30/90/12. Hoping an offseason of rest was enough to get him right, but not holding my breath that long muscle and shoulder issues are just going away. 

3 hours ago, OaksterDan said:

He has a 1.053 OPS so far this spring.  Best strategy might be to draft him, hope for a similar May/June as 2018 and then trade him while his value is high.

Own him in a couple dynasty leagues and, if his hot spring continues, this ^ may be the call. Tough though. I really like the guy.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:20 AM, crotchcrickets said:

well...theoretically today would be the day to get going...going up against homer bailey

I think pitchers really figured out how to pitch him in the second half last year.  Don't understand why Rosario was going in the top 100 this year.  Normally small market players tend to be undervalued, but not Rosario this year. 

All of a sudden he's .264/.328/.547, 132 wRC+, on pace for 30+ HR and 90+ R&RBI. Early season micro-slump strikes again.

Won't call it a breakout, because a pretty standard development puts this guy (age 27) right into The Bat's projected 124 wRC+. Top 15-20 OF shouldn't surprise, end of a healthy season.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:25 AM, FootballFan101 said:

He has looked awful so far.  I don't think he'll be a complete bust, but I think anyone who spent a top 70 pick on him is going to end up being really disappointed.  He was a good article describing some concerns with Rosario.

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-why-eddie-rosario-is-overvalued/

Please never be an analyst.

Maybe I'm biased b/c I own him in a keeper, but he's one of the truly underrated assets in fantasy baseball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eddie Mush said:

Maybe I'm biased b/c I own him in a keeper, but he's one of the truly underrated assets in fantasy baseball.

I was concerned about his bad 2nd half last year.  Facing the Orioles helps, but I'll admit I was dead wrong on Rosario.   I did correctly call Aaron Nola the most overranked pitcher in fantasy (though I didn't think it would be to this extent), but as far as Rosario goes, I've been dead wrong so far, so I'll eat crow for that one.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I was concerned about his bad 2nd half last year.  Facing the Orioles helps, but I'll admit I was dead wrong on Rosario.   I did correctly call Aaron Nola the most overranked pitcher in fantasy (though I didn't think it would be to this extent), but as far as Rosario goes, I've been dead wrong so far, so I'll eat crow for that one.

Rosario has been a streaky hitter. When he is on a streak like now, he seems to be hitting everything hard. Even his outs are smoked.

He can go through extended slumps too.  I'll be surprised if he keeps this up, but maybe this year he doesn't come back down to earth with an extended slump.

2 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

It's April - don't be taking victory laps yet

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rabaak said:

Rosario has been a streaky hitter. When he is on a streak like now, he seems to be hitting everything hard. Even his outs are smoked.

He can go through extended slumps too.  I'll be surprised if he keeps this up, but maybe this year he doesn't come back down to earth with an extended slump.

I'm expecting it to happen eventually, but the league I have him in has a deep bench and I've planned for it. The dude can hit anything in or out of the zone when he's hot (seriously, check out some of the pitch locations on those home runs) but at some point you'll see people flooding this thread asking if he's a drop. Still like him as a player, spent an early round pick on him after all, but I did so knowing he's streaky and fully expecting to have him ride the pine for a week or two at a time when he slumps.

11 HRs now, leading the AL.  Two more games against Baltimore this weekend to boot: 

"Did it help the Twins that they also saw Cobb so well in his last start?

'Yes, of course, 100 percent,' Rosario said. 'Tomorrow is another pitcher [Dan Straily] who threw the last time in Baltimore. Now you know what they got and what they do to you.' "

https://www.mlb.com/news/cruz-rosario-cron-hit-3-homers-in-a-row

On 4/20/2019 at 6:25 PM, Eddie Mush said:

Going back to the All-Star break last year, Rosario is batting .234 over his last 300 ABs. 

On 4/20/2019 at 3:25 PM, Eddie Mush said:

He's one the biggest's free swingers in the game. Extremely talented. Adam Jones type, which was great when Jones was stealing double digit bags, but once Jones stopped stealing so much. He was more solid, but never the guy you were super exited to get.