CrypTviLL

Matt Olson 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

that depends on the player.

Haven’t heard of a player that came back from hamate surgery and immediately regain their power. I know Giancarlo has hamate surgery in 2015, but he had the surgery at the end of June 2015, and didn’t play for the rest of the season. He essentially had 10 months to recover to the 2016 season. Maybe someone knows of a player to get their power back right away? 

9 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

Droppable now?

If you have an IL spot open absolutely not.  He might have a nice second half to the season.  Looking at the positive side of things it happened March 22 so there’s a lot of time left.

No surprise it is hamate. Sucks. The silver lining is at least no game until thr so he misses fewer games. 

Cant they just DL him now? So we can grab a replacement now.

Power being his game. This is prolly gonna be a lost season. 

6 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

If you have an IL spot open absolutely not.  He might have a nice second half to the season.  Looking at the positive side of things it happened March 22 so there’s a lot of time left.

Id say a guy who didn't reach .250 last year or hit 30 homers who just broke a hamate bone is droppable.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Id say a guy who didn't reach .250 last year or hit 30 homers who just broke a hamate bone is droppable.

I'd say a guy who hit 29 homers with 84 RBI in his first full season in the majors, at one of the more shallow positions in fantasy, isn't "droppable" & good owners should wait to put him on IL and pick up a replacement.

Titles aren’t won in April.  The extra week off between games will give him a timetable of 3-5 weeks.  Hardly droppable at this point.  If you can’t manipulate stats for a few weeks in April then you weren’t going win your league anyway.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

And so it begins. SMH. Yahoo should do the right thing and DL him now. 

Neither Yahoo nor ESPN nor any platform have the right to DL a player.  Only the team does.  Doing otherwise amounts to cheating by the platform.

Matt Olson had surgery on Friday to remove the hamate bone from his right hand.

He suffered the injury on a swing during Thursday's game against the Mariners in Japan. The A's didn't reveal a timetable for Olson's return, but a hamate surgery usually requires a 4-6 week absence at minimum and players often have trouble rediscovering their power initially upon a return. In other words, it's pretty awful news for Oakland. Mark Canha and Chad Pinder figure to pick up extra at-bats while Olson is sidelined.

Source: Mark Feinsand on Twitter                 Mar 22, 2019, 6:01 PM

Given the timeline needed to physically heal AND the need for conditioning and rehabbing needed afterwards plus minor league time to get his timing etc back; I am sure the A's will put him on the 60 Day list soon enough.

• Like 1

He’s not even worth the IL spot. Sigh.

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Titles aren’t won in April.  The extra week off between games will give him a timetable of 3-5 weeks.  Hardly droppable at this point.  If you can’t manipulate stats for a few weeks in April then you weren’t going win your league anyway.  

The concern is less about the injury recovery time and more about the power performance upon his return.

4-6 weeks then normal performance sucks, but is manageable. 4-6 weeks then another couple months of muted power is a bit more difficult hurdle to overcome.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

The concern is less about the injury recovery time and more about the power performance upon his return.

4-6 weeks then normal performance sucks, but is manageable. 4-6 weeks then another couple months of muted power is a bit more difficult hurdle to overcome.

Not much of a sample to go off to determine the power outage.  Stanton was last major player who had it and he just ended up sitting the season out because team blew chunks.  The most recent guys to have the injury weren’t huge power guys.  Gurriel, Deshields, Cervelli.  Here’s some other examples though: 

Colorado Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzkimissed nearly six weeks of action after breaking the hamate bone in his left wrist in June of 2010. He came back and had 18 home runs and 61 RBIs in 235 at-bats after the injury that season after totaling 9 homers and 34 RBIs in 235 at-bats before the injury.

San Francisco Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval missed almost seven weeks after surgery to remove a fractured hamate bone from his right hand last season. He had 18 home runs and 56 RBIs in 343 at-bats after returning. One year to the day of his surgery, Sandoval suffered the same injury in his left wrist on May 2 of this season.

• Like 1

Vlad jr and Soto also had it, but minors are a lot different. 

I don't know if it will sap his power, but it's definitely something I'm now slightly concerned with. If he were missing time over...say a sprained ankle, I would have zero concerns about his power when he returned.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Vlad jr and Soto also had it, but minors are a lot different. 

I don't know if it will sap his power, but it's definitely something I'm now slightly concerned with. If he were missing time over...say a sprained ankle, I would have zero concerns about his power when he returned.

With timing of injury there’s less worry.  Odds are they’ll be some drought when he comes back.  But at this point people who invested in him should be looking at him as a second half guy to help their clubs.  I know it’s an instant gratification world we live in now, but owners will have to be patient here to get a return on investment.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

With timing of injury there’s less worry.  Odds are they’ll be some drought when he comes back.  But at this point people who invested in him should be looking at him as a second half guy to help their clubs.  I know it’s an instant gratification world we live in now, but owners will have to be patient here to get a return on investment.

This post is a huge difference from your initial one saying he's just missing a couple weeks. 

In a H2H that's not too terrible either way. You can overcome things like this for the most part. But in roto? It's not destroying your chances but it puts a dent in them and weakens your margin for error and other injuries. I'd say the people pretty upset over this are justified in their tears.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

This post is a huge difference from your initial one saying he's just missing a couple weeks. 

In a H2H that's not too terrible either way. You can overcome things like this for the most part. But in roto? It's not destroying your chances but it puts a dent in them and weakens your margin for error and other injuries. I'd say the people pretty upset over this are justified in their tears.

Last year in roto my whole team destroyed the ball in April and May.  Then inevitably slumps came and I blew a 15 roto lead down the stretch (from late August on).  In hindsight I should of sold some guys high, attacked some guys due for better second halves.  It sucks for people who invested in Olson now, but if he comes back rusty I’ll target him in June range.  I don’t believe this is an injury the will completely derail whole season, more so just be an annoying interruption.

Just now, Cmilne23 said:

Last year in roto my whole team destroyed the ball in April and May.  Then inevitably slumps came and I blew a 15 roto lead down the stretch (from late August on).  

Well you're a Mariners fan so this checks out.

• Haha 4

Ouch, this is brutal in roto. Hard to peg him for anything more than 18 homers ROS... and I think a lot of us were banking on a break out with around 35+.

Gives me an excuse to take a flier on Ronald Guzman. Widely available, with upside.

• Like 1

I think he'll still be nice to have for the second half of the season in H2H. A bigger blow for roto I think.

Yes but keep in mind the second half isn't the second half. Only about 68- 70 games  . Those 11-13 games to make a half are HUGE !!!

3 hours ago, motown magic said:

Yes but keep in mind the second half isn't the second half. Only about 68- 70 games  . Those 11-13 games to make a half are HUGE !!!

When a fantasy manager says second half he isn't going by All Star Break Time.

Might want to consider that. It is a big difference . Those fewer games could win or lose in fantasy

19 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

When a fantasy manager says second half he isn't going by All Star Break Time.

Agreed. I never break first half and second half up by the ASB. I'm referring to April-June and July-Sept when discussing halves. Otherwise I'll just say "pre-ASB" and "post-ASB".  

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 8:53 PM, Jub Jub said:

Who do the A’s likely turn to at 1B? Canha?

A combination of Canha and Profar will handle the spot. I assume that means Barretto will get 2B play when Profar moves to 1st. Don't know if the As have a replacement in mind to handle that open spot. I'd say Dutsin Fowler would get it as he was one of the best As OF this Spring, but I also think they want Fowler getting full time at bats. 

• Like 1