CrypTviLL

Matt Olson 2019 Outlook

If I have to hear that a hamate bone injury saps power along with his name one more time....  Here’s hoping he comes back and goes on a 40 HR binge for all those people that repeatedly said that.  It’s a pain tolerance thing.  He didn’t lose an arm!

• Like 1

Olson (hand) could be activated from the 10-day injured list as early as Tuesday, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Analysis: Olson began his minor-league rehab assignment Wednesday and will be evaluated for potential activation after Sunday's game with Triple-A Las Vegas.

On 5/4/2019 at 3:40 PM, reichl555 said:

If I have to hear that a hamate bone injury saps power along with his name one more time....  Here’s hoping he comes back and goes on a 40 HR binge for all those people that repeatedly said that.  It’s a pain tolerance thing.  He didn’t lose an arm!

I swear Yahoo/Rotoworld is trolling with these player notes:

May 6

"Players often experience a power drop-off initially after they return from hamate bone surgery, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see Olson get off to a slow start."

May 4

"While fantasy owners are anxiously awaiting his return, keep in mind that hamate bone injuries have been known to have major negative effects on a player's power output, so keep that in mind if you're expecting a major power surge from Olson initially upon his return."

April 30

"Olson has been on the shelf since suffering a fractured hamate bone in Japan on March 21. That's an injury that often has lasting effects on a player's power output."

7 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

I swear Yahoo/Rotoworld is trolling with these player notes:

May 6

"Players often experience a power drop-off initially after they return from hamate bone surgery, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see Olson get off to a slow start."

May 4

"While fantasy owners are anxiously awaiting his return, keep in mind that hamate bone injuries have been known to have major negative effects on a player's power output, so keep that in mind if you're expecting a major power surge from Olson initially upon his return."

April 30

"Olson has been on the shelf since suffering a fractured hamate bone in Japan on March 21. That's an injury that often has lasting effects on a player's power output."

Nothing would make me more happy than if he yokes one his first game back.  I wonder what they would say next. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Nothing would make me more happy than if he yokes one his first game back.  I wonder what they would say next. 

That’s about the 12th time I had to read a rotoworld blurb about Olsen talking about how hamate bones zap one’s power. Glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed that. 

Edited by hangin n wangin

He went 4-22 during his rehab but one of those hits was a home run.

Will be very interesting in how he does today 

I hear players returning from a hanmate bone injury sometimes have their power affected?

🤣

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Jub Jub said:

I hear players returning from a hanmate bone injury sometimes have their power affected?

🤣

I've never read that.

Well he's been activated...but he's so likely to struggle #cuzhanmateyo

Anyone see his AB? Wondering how he looked. He was sitting on the wire in my league so I scooped him up. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/athletics/activate-matt-olson-injured-list-option-skye-bolt-triple

The key quote in there: "It's probably not fully there right now, but it's definitely strong enough," Olson said. "I'm 100 percent. If I came back under that, then I'd be hurting the team."

A little self-contradictory. He's saying his strength ain't fully there yet, but he's 100%? Maybe he means no pain?

I can't even sell him low now. No one willing to take him except for WW fodder type players. Hopefully turns out to be a disguised blessing for my team. Fingers crossed.

How has he looked? He is batting 4th so his place in the order suggests confidence on the team's part.

2 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

How has he looked? He is batting 4th so his place in the order suggests confidence on the team's part.

We need to see more games to say how he's really looking, but he bunted for a single against the shift and hit a long foul ball showing he's still got some power. I thought he's looked fine, but we don't really have any real sample size to work with yet.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, roscobangs said:

Big blast today. #sappedpower

But it took him three games to get it..................

Hamate. As in "Olson is about to go HAM, mate." 

• Like 2

Hope his wrist isn’t too sore tomorrow 🤣

Hope he didn’t sap all his power with that home run swing yesterday. We all know how Hamate bones sap power.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

You guys are too much lol.

No one ever said he would not homer this year. The question is how many.

Hopefully he does well.

This is what Melvin said, so I hope he is right: "With a hand injury like that, sometimes the power takes a little while to come back, but it hasn’t looked like it,” Melvin said after the loss. “It’s just about seeing more pitches, getting comfortable and getting more at-bats. When you get your first home run, you feel a little bit better about your progress. I think he’s doing fine."

Edited by papasmurf