CrypTviLL

Matt Olson 2019 Outlook

He's been pretty awesome lately. Average all the way up to .275. 2 more bombs tonight to put him at 31 on the season. Not bad considering he missed the first month of the season. Had he played all season he would probably have top 5 1B numbers.

• Like 2

I'm hoping next year he goes sort of unnoticed and I'll gladly take him. I feel like he'll be ranked anywhere from 60-80. Dude straight up mashes. Exactly what you want from your 1B. 

Honest question and I’m somewhat confused...

so hamate bone bone breaks don’t really take away home run power? Or is it that Olson had so much power to begin with that was even with the hamate removal, he can still mash at 40 HR pace in the juiced ball era?

it’d be cool to somewhat settle this debate for this thinking about Joey Gallo next season

Edited by UberRebel

8 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Honest question and I’m somewhat confused...

so hamate bone bone breaks don’t really take away home run power? Or is it that Olson had so much power to begin with that was even with the hamate removal, he can still mash at 40 HR pace in the juiced ball era?

it’d be cool to somewhat settle this debate for this thinking about Joey Gallo next season

How people recover from injuries varies widely from person to person. There have been a lot of cases where this type of injuriy took a while for the power to return. For Olson it wasn't an issue. I would bet Gallo will be fine next year as well. He'll have all off-season to rehab and recover.

He's definitely flying under the radar. Legit 40 homer threat next year, along with like 80/100 in R and RBI.

I (thankfully wrongly) thought this was a lost season. Very impressive return from a fractured hand.

Edited by papasmurf
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 10:58 PM, JaeTM said:

I'm hoping next year he goes sort of unnoticed and I'll gladly take him. I feel like he'll be ranked anywhere from 60-80. Dude straight up mashes. Exactly what you want from your 1B. 

And the best is yet to come. He has become a better pure hitter this year than last year and the year before (when he broke on the scene like crazy). He is pushing an average 30 points higher than many predicted, the hit tool is more than all or nothing. He's also incredibly young. I think with the trajectory he is showing he has the chance to be the most dominant first baseman in all of baseball. He's an elite defender as well. What's not to like about Olson's game these days? 

• Like 1

He and Chapman will have the A’s pretty locked in at the corners for years. Hopefully the Howard Terminal ballpark will become a reality and this franchise starts retaining their top talent, instead of flipping them for prospects (as usual).  One can hope. 

Look at rotoworlds latest blurb. It’s still talking about the hamate bone taking away power. Lol comical. What a tired act. Embarrassing. Move on already.

Edited by hangin n wangin

On 9/11/2019 at 9:14 PM, 80version said:

He and Chapman will have the A’s pretty locked in at the corners for years. Hopefully the Howard Terminal ballpark will become a reality and this franchise starts retaining their top talent, instead of flipping them for prospects (as usual).  One can hope. 

Chapman, Semien & Olson all need to be locked up long term.  They are the A's. 

13 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Look at rotoworlds latest blurb. It’s still talking about the hamate bone taking away power. Lol comical. What a tired act. Embarrassing. Move on already.

I don't get your problem with what they said. The quote: "His production across the board has been pretty remarkable given that he had a month-plus of games stolen from him by a surgery that has traditionally been believed to hinder power output -- a belief that, between the superhuman displays by Olson and Jose Ramirez, may need to be put to bed soon -- as the 25-year-old is hitting .269/.353/.544 with 35 homers."

It says the power hindrance has "traditionally been believed" and that it "may need to be put to bed soon." Sounds to me like the RW blurb is speaking out against the belief that a hammate bone break automatically means a reduction in power .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't get your problem with what they said. The quote: "His production across the board has been pretty remarkable given that he had a month-plus of games stolen from him by a surgery that has traditionally been believed to hinder power output -- a belief that, between the superhuman displays by Olson and Jose Ramirez, may need to be put to bed soon -- as the 25-year-old is hitting .269/.353/.544 with 35 homers."

It says the power hindrance has "traditionally been believed" and that it "may need to be put to bed soon." Sounds to me like the RW blurb is speaking out against the belief that a hammate bone break automatically means a reduction in power .

Lol my main problem with it is that I had to read about a "sap of power" about 80 times this year in those blurbs. Only rotoworld blurbs believed a sap of power was an automatic thing after a ham-mate injury. Normal people understood that each situation and injury are different.

8 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Lol my main problem with it is that I had to read about a "sap of power" about 80 times this year in those blurbs. Only rotoworld blurbs believed a sap of power was an automatic thing after a ham-mate injury. Normal people understood that each situation and injury are different.

Okay, but you're griping about the latest blurb and telling us to go read it. And it's a blurb that says the hamate-stealing-power belief needs to be put to bed. Seems like you would have posted something along the lines of "Hey go look at the latest RW blurb about Olson. They're finally ridding themselves of the belief that a broken hamate reduces power. It's about time."

:) 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Okay, but you're griping about the latest blurb and telling us to go read it. And it's a blurb that says the hamate-stealing-power belief needs to be put to bed. Seems like you would have posted something along the lines of "Hey go look at the latest RW blurb about Olson. They're finally ridding themselves of the belief that a broken hamate reduces power. It's about time."

:) 

Lol please accept my apologies. 

Looking ahead to 2020, I'm probably downgrading him a little. You know, hamate zapping power thing and all.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

On 9/27/2019 at 5:44 PM, hangin n wangin said:

Lol please accept my apologies. 

Image result for your my boy blue gif

• Haha 2