KilloWertz

Jameson Taillon 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Yeah definitely not over-reacting to this one start, I just expected more and I'm disappointed.

Same here. This start sucked.

Was he just missing his spots today? I am not watching because I am at work but at a 2-2 count vs Walker, he throws a middle of the plate slider. THen next batter, hes 0-2 to Marte and the pitch was middle-in. This is all assuming at bat is accurate.

10 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Yeah definitely not over-reacting to this one start, I just expected more and I'm disappointed.

It's not an overreaction at all. He's had one good start (2nd one of the year vs St. Louis). The last start vs the Giants was ok but they have to be one of the worst offenses in baseball. He's had 2 junk outings (this one and his opener) , the cubs one (where he last 2 innings because of s--- defense behind him and a ridiculous pitch count). Most of us drafted hoping for the 2nd half to spill over into this year and he has not been anywhere close. 

6 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

Was he just missing his spots today? I am not watching because I am at work but at a 2-2 count vs Walker, he throws a middle of the plate slider. THen next batter, hes 0-2 to Marte and the pitch was middle-in. This is all assuming at bat is accurate.

He fell behind quite a bit and wasn't locating all that great. 

3 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

It's not an overreaction at all. He's had one good start (2nd one of the year vs St. Louis). The last start vs the Giants was ok but they have to be one of the worst offenses in baseball. He's had 2 junk outings (this one and his opener) , the cubs one (where he last 2 innings because of s--- defense behind him and a ridiculous pitch count). Most of us drafted hoping for the 2nd half to spill over into this year and he has not been anywhere close. 

It's six starts dude. He had a 3.12 ERA going into this game, so you're making things sound a lot worse than they are. Try to relax and remember how bad Sale, Kluber, Scherzer, Cole, Nola, Carrasco, Syndergard, Buehler, and Flaherty are doing right now. The calendar literally has not even flipped to May yet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Geez, this is sounding awfully familiar though. Am I going to have to play god damn mediator again the whole year until he improves?

I'll leave this here for reference. Pages 4-7 are the good ones.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

He fell behind quite a bit and wasn't locating all that great. 

It's six starts dude. He had a 3.12 ERA going into this game, so you're making things sound a lot worse than they are. Try to relax and remember how bad Sale, Kluber, Scherzer, Cole, Nola, Carrasco, Syndergard, Buehler, and Flaherty are doing right now. The calendar literally has not even flipped to May yet. 

But again, its not an overreaction to say he hasn't lived up to the hype thus far. Today was the only game he pitched to a 9 k/9 (aside from the 2 inning game). It's not like he has faced a murders row of offenses either. I have faith he will bounce back but I think I'm looking to him as more an SP3 vs a high end 2 that I thought he could be. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

But again, its not an overreaction to say he hasn't lived up to the hype thus far. Today was the only game he pitched to a 9 k/9 (aside from the 2 inning game). It's not like he has faced a murders row of offenses either. I have faith he will bounce back but I think I'm looking to him as more an SP3 vs a high end 2 that I thought he could be. 

A lot of fantasy aces haven't lived up to the hype so far. That's my point. I would totally disagree with you in saying he hasn't lived up to the hype so far because it's so friggin' early to even begin saying that. One start inflates your numbers immensely at this point in time. One start of a 0 ERA and 11 K's, which he's more than capable of, and his season looks awesome. All this being said, I was never crazy about him as a high end 2 this year, although I would not be surprised at all if he returns that value.

It's April lol 

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

It's April lol 

This. Say it over and over again. In every thread. 

Baseball is a game of streaks. Rough patches at the beginning of a season look way worse because the good stretches haven't happened yet. They will. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, treat88 said:

This. Say it over and over again. In every thread. 

Baseball is a game of streaks. Rough patches at the beginning of a season look way worse because the good stretches haven't happened yet. They will. 

I'm trying. I think I've said it about 3 times in my last 3 posts and it doesn't seem to be helping.

• Like 1

Not worried about him at all. He'll get going. Might be a good buy low candidate.

19 hours ago, WaKe21334 said:

It's a marathon, not a sprint.  This is a very long season that we've barely started.

I see no reason why he can't replicate last years numbers. Something along the lines of a 8k/9 innings and a low 3 ERA with double digit wins I will take that all day and that's a main reason I recently traded for him. If he does up his strike out numbers, even better. I don't think it's too far fetched for him to do so. His stuff is still really good and he has three really solid pitches that he could go to at any given time.

Not that I take rotoworld blurbs too seriously, cause well...you know...I think they have toddlers in control of some of those. But this was the last one and I found it kind of interesting because I didn't realize it.

Jameson Taillon gave up five runs in five innings Thursday in a loss to the Diamondbacks.

"Taillon is supposed to be the Pirates' ace now, but it doesn't mean the team has taken the reins off at all; he's yet to throw more than 85 pitches in any of his six starts this year. If he were working deeper into games, he might have the potential for three victories now. As is, he has just one, and he's yet to strike out more than five batters in a start. He's certainly a fantasy asset, but he's not a huge one as a five- and six-inning guy."

I had no clue they haven't let him go past 85 pitches. I'm assuming that's a combination of the Pirates being careful and also Taillon not finding his stride quite yet. Anyone else make anything of this?

16 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Not that I take rotoworld blurbs too seriously, cause well...you know...I think they have toddlers in control of some of those. But this was the last one and I found it kind of interesting because I didn't realize it.

Jameson Taillon gave up five runs in five innings Thursday in a loss to the Diamondbacks.

"Taillon is supposed to be the Pirates' ace now, but it doesn't mean the team has taken the reins off at all; he's yet to throw more than 85 pitches in any of his six starts this year. If he were working deeper into games, he might have the potential for three victories now. As is, he has just one, and he's yet to strike out more than five batters in a start. He's certainly a fantasy asset, but he's not a huge one as a five- and six-inning guy."

I had no clue they haven't let him go past 85 pitches. I'm assuming that's a combination of the Pirates being careful and also Taillon not finding his stride quite yet. Anyone else make anything of this?

It's definitely been more a function of him struggling than it's been the Pirates being conservative. Keep in mind, one of his good games ended early because of a rain out, and the other gems have been pretty limited 

Dude has a clean K:BB ratio and a squeaky WHIP on the year. I'm not worried about the first month of the season re: ERA and W. The ERA will balance out with more starts and the Ws will come, though 15 is probably his ceiling with the current IP situation. 

49.7 LOB% makes him a buy-low candidate--despite his 7.26 K/9 being far below what we want from a top-end fantasy starter. He's actually boasting career-best rates of 69.5 percent first-pitch strike and 12.5 percent swinging strikes. All about that slider imo, if he reigns that back in (like he did last year) he will end up around that top 20 of SPs imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoonyGray said:

😓

How often does an elbow flexor strain lead to surgery?

Just now, mavsfan23 said:

How often does an elbow flexor strain lead to surgery?

Between that and forearm pain...it's usually ominous

Now I kinda wonder if he's been working through this for a while too...might explain the odd pitch counts and disappearing slider some?

Jeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz SPs are so fragile it's completely insane.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, !!! said:

Jeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz SPs are so fragile it's completely insane.

Yep. I wonder if it’s bc they are so babied these days.