KilloWertz

Trevor Bauer 2019 Outlook

Another player I noticed didn't have a thread already...

Can he come close to duplicating last season?  It might be difficult, but I have no problem putting him right into the Top 15, with Top 10 potential.  Regardless, a locked-in SP1 heading into next season.

• Like 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/02/14/trevor-bauer-cleveland-indians-arbitration/2869671002/

the article, with a lot of direct quotes from bauer, claims that the indians attempted to use character assassination as a means to win their arbitration case with him. he also noted that he sent personalized invites to the front office, inviting them to the arbitration hearing, and none of them showed up, which hurt his feelings (his words).

obviously two seasons is a long time before he hits FA, but it doesn't appear that bauer and the indians are on the best of terms right now. it's been claimed in the past the he's somewhat of a headcase, and this event likely has nothing to do with future fantasy performance, but in general i like for my players to be somewhat happy with the team they're playing for.

56 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/02/14/trevor-bauer-cleveland-indians-arbitration/2869671002/

the article, with a lot of direct quotes from bauer, claims that the indians attempted to use character assassination as a means to win their arbitration case with him. he also noted that he sent personalized invites to the front office, inviting them to the arbitration hearing, and none of them showed up, which hurt his feelings (his words).

obviously two seasons is a long time before he hits FA, but it doesn't appear that bauer and the indians are on the best of terms right now. it's been claimed in the past the he's somewhat of a headcase, and this event likely has nothing to do with future fantasy performance, but in general i like for my players to be somewhat happy with the team they're playing for.

Im the biggest tribe fan in the world,  and own TB in a keeper.  But i think it's time he lost the "look how clever i am" childish routine.  Hes  certainly intelligent,  but he's getting a little old for the righteous kid game.  

And as smart as he may be,  if he really goes thru with this only 1 year deal plan of his he better never get hurt.  Or play with drones during a playoff run.  

He kinda pisses me off lol.  

17 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Im the biggest tribe fan in the world,  and own TB in a keeper.  But i think it's time he lost the "look how clever i am" childish routine.  Hes  certainly intelligent,  but he's getting a little old for the righteous kid game.  

And as smart as he may be,  if he really goes thru with this only 1 year deal plan of his he better never get hurt.  Or play with drones during a playoff run.  

He kinda pisses me off lol.  

Why would you be upset with him? 

Reading that article and ESPN’s — I see it as the Indians organization is run by a bunch of jerks 

It's almost as if he's been trying to work himself out of favor this offseason. Between the quotes above and his grotesque Twitter behavior, I don't know if he's gunning for a trade or what.

On the field I expect him to be dominant again and a top 20 SP, likely better.

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Why would you be upset with him? 

Reading that article and ESPN’s — I see it as the Indians organization is run by a bunch of jerks 

They're running a business.  A billion dollar one,  and they do it like adults.  

Patronizing "plus one" (really kid?  This isn't a gender reveal party here) invites to corporate executives.  His refusal to understand that there's more to the charitable giving angle than just giving.  Maybe,  just maybe,  the Indians don't enjoy all the PR that goes with a campaign based on an 8th grade level 69 joke.  

This rep has followed him at every stop.  He kinda needs to be the whiny kid that someone has done wrong.  

Really,  he drips a lot of the immaturity that people 35 and over can't stand about the millennial generation.   He cries disrespect but is constantly disrespectful.  In the old days,  a vet would pull you aside and grow ya up some for acting like this.  They did that in Arizona (Montero i think esp) and he made a public spectacle about it.  Teammates haven't liked him b/c of stuff like this,  again at all levels.  

He's a millionaire,  mlb stud,  and not 19 anymore.  Grow up kid

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

They're running a business.  A billion dollar one,  and they do it like adults.  

Patronizing "plus one" (really kid?  This isn't a gender reveal party here) invites to corporate executives.  His refusal to understand that there's more to the charitable giving angle than just giving.  Maybe,  just maybe,  the Indians don't enjoy all the PR that goes with a campaign based on an 8th grade level 69 joke.  

This rep has followed him at every stop.  He kinda needs to be the whiny kid that someone has done wrong.  

Really,  he drips a lot of the immaturity that people 35 and over can't stand about the millennial generation.   He cries disrespect but is constantly disrespectful.  In the old days,  a vet would pull you aside and grow ya up some for acting like this.  They did that in Arizona (Montero i think esp) and he made a public spectacle about it.  Teammates haven't liked him b/c of stuff like this,  again at all levels.  

He's a millionaire,  mlb stud,  and not 19 anymore.  Grow up kid

Six of one half dozen of the other.. google Cleveland newspapers. I read some comments. Some agree some don’t 

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/02/trevor-bauer-says-cleveland-indians-used-character-assassination-in-arbitration-case.html

• Haha 1

On Tuesday Bauer was awarded a $13 million salary for 2019, representing the biggest arbitration award in team history.

Aw poor baby.

I’d be embarrassed if I was his boss. If I was his buddy I’d laugh and pass him a doobie tho 😂

• Like 1

It's clear that people are put off by Bauer which is fine.  I think when you add in that fact that he likes to play the heel and you've got what we have here.

What I am REALLY interested to hear is how people compare this latest Bauer outburst to what DeGrom is doing right now.  I don't want to derail the TB thread but what DeGrom is doing to me is sooo much worse.

DeGrom (who was awarded 17 million in arbitration) is saying that if they don't give him the contract extension he wants before opening day that he will self impose and innings limit, yet I see no outrage.

Trevor might come across as annoying but the guy shows up and plays (and it's never been about the money for him but the respect he feels he has earned)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Smallball said:

It's clear that people are put off by Bauer which is fine.  I think when you add in that fact that he likes to play the heel and you've got what we have here.

What I am REALLY interested to hear is how people compare this latest Bauer outburst to what DeGrom is doing right now.  I don't want to derail the TB thread but what DeGrom is doing to me is sooo much worse.

DeGrom (who was awarded 17 million in arbitration) is saying that if they don't give him the contract extension he wants before opening day that he will self impose and innings limit, yet I see no outrage.

Trevor might come across as annoying but the guy shows up and plays (and it's never been about the money for him but the respect he feels he has earned)

Well to be fair DeGrom’s innings last year were second most and didn’t eclipse 217.  I think we’re reaching a very delicate point in baseball right now by teams going with openers/more bullpen heavy.  There’s really zero need for any team, especially Mets to give an arm 25 mil a year because quite frankly with or without deGrom the Mets win loss total may vary by 0/3.  Teams are seeing a bigger emphasis on defense, hitting, and bullpen.  Jacob deGrom is unfortunately on the losing end of his battle.  Great arm but he should take what he can before his arm blows out and he has to sign for a 1 year 900k incentive laden deal after he heals.  

[Take anything else about deGrom over to his thread, guys.]

4 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Six of one half dozen of the other.. google Cleveland newspapers. I read some comments. Some agree some don’t 

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/02/trevor-bauer-says-cleveland-indians-used-character-assassination-in-arbitration-case.html

Internet comment sections aren't usually my go to source. I'd say there's a pretty clear pattern of behavior for him.  

Even if the guy says or does some pretty unorthodox stuff, you have to give him credit for turning himself into an elite pitcher. He keeps making strides in his k rate and bb rate year after year. The improvement in his swinging strike rate last year was pretty phenomenal. He’s a true student of his own game and I think his coaches and management might be better off embracing it and perhaps learning some new things. From a fantasy standpoint I’d love to grab him as my SP1 in the late 3rd or early 4th.

• Like 4

Oh no doubt he's a stud.  Won't change my evaluation of him one bit. He'll just get no sympathy from me on this one.  I'd rather watch him pitch than hear him talk is all. 

PL has him as the #5 overall pitcher. That seems about right. The only guys I would take ahead of him are Scherzer, Sale, deGrom, and Verlander. I might take Cole ahead of him as well, but he wasn't as good in the second half.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 1:17 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

PL has him as the #5 overall pitcher. That seems about right. The only guys I would take ahead of him are Scherzer, Sale, deGrom, and Verlander. I might take Cole ahead of him as well, but he wasn't as good in the second half.

Still getting back in the swing of things after taking a nice long break from anything baseball in the offseason, so didn't know they had their list out yet.  While I don't disagree with the ranking and think he deserves, I am slightly surprised anybody has him that high right now.  I know how much some experts like to wonder if breakout seasons are legit or if they will be bust, but it's nice (and also refreshing) to see him ranked so high.

ESPN has him at 11, but with two major injury risks ahead of him (Kershaw and Thor), and their ratio predictions are a bit high.

Anyone care to discuss actual numbers, performance, and his potential to sustain? Or we should we continue to complain about his maturity as the thread complains about his Twitter?

2.21 ERA backed up by his 2.44 FIP... which was the 2nd lowest FIP in the league behind only deGrom... he suppressed HR so xFIP is higher, but his BABIP was normal at .297.

Absolutely mowed them down with an SO9 of 11.3 made possible by a huge jump to swinging strikes from his career norm of 9% to 13%!

His control was improved with a BB9 of 2.9, the best in his career.

2.21 ERA is silly to ask him to reproduce, but I see no reason why he can't potentially be a sub-3 guy again or hover around 3, and continue to strike out 10+ per 9. His performance wasn't quite a surprise as he always had the talent, but being able to put it all together was a pleasant surprise. 

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

he's an ace, who cares what his attitude or politics or antics are. He's an awesome pitcher with cy young potential and he's not terribly expensive compared to his upside. I'd rather have him than Corey Kluber and Blake Snell, he's probably my #6 or #7 pitcher. Waffling on whether I prefer Bauer or Cole.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1

I'm high on him. Reaching for him if Snell, Nola, Cole are taken. Would rather have him over Carrasco. I like Buehler's potential and think he will be great, but I'm terrified of an innings limit with him, which is why I think Bauer is a bit safer with just as much upside.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

I'm high on him. Reaching for him if Snell, Nola, Cole are taken. Would rather have him over Carrasco. I like Buehler's potential and think he will be great, but I'm terrified of an innings limit with him, which is why I think Bauer is a bit safer with just as much upside.

Couldn't agree more for re-draft leagues.  In keeper/dynasty leagues, I think they are extremely close, but Bauer should still be more valuable for this season regardless.  I don't think it would be that much of a surprise if Bauer finished as a Top 5 SP (or pretty darn close).

The other thing with Bauer I love is that the IP ceiling is huge compared to other SP1-2s. Cleveland has no interest in preserving him, he regularly hit 110 plus pitches and then some, and would have easily cleared 200 if not for a freak injury. Projections won’t account for that either since he fell so short last year. 

No 1 overall SP upside.