SuperJoint

Jared Goff 2019 Outlook

8 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

They are #2 in takeaways #5 in sacks and #10 against the pass lol definitely cause enough havoc to wreck a game. Goff shouldn’t be in anyone’s lineup this week. 

judging by the garbage on my waivers, yea, I’ll be starting Goff. 

Edited by Dexter75

2 minutes ago, Bastardo! said:

Gonna have a lot of short fields on Sunday.

Excellent point - I think this is accurate.

Yeah, rethinking this match-up and leaning towards starting him. 

Coming off a bye has to be a plus, no?

Goff is weak when he is under pressure, Pitt is all about sacking the QB.

Pretty sure he can at least match what Brian Hoyer did to them last week.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:44 AM, Corleone said:

While losing Kupp hurt Goff last year, I recall seeing analysis last year towards how defenses were adjusting to the Rams following the Rams bye week (which came prior to their first December game). Here's one example: https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/17/nfl-rams-eagles-jared-goff-defense-bye-week/

Overall, as has been noted, Goff wasn't good at the end of the season. Here are the specific stats for his final 8 games...
--Week 13: at Detroit: 17 for 33 - 207 yards - 1 TD - 1 INT - -2 rush yards
--Week 14: at Chicago: 20 for 44 - 180 yards - 0 TD - 4 INT - 5 rush yards
--Week 15: vs Philly: 35 for 53 - 339 yards - 0 TD - 1 INT - 11 rush yards
--Week 16: at Arizona: 19 for 24 - 216 yards - 1 TD - 0 INT - 6 rush yards - 1 rush TD
--Week 17: vs San Fran: 15 for 26 - 199 yards - 4 TD - 0 INT - 0 rush yards
--Divisional Round: vs Dallas: 15 for 28 - 186 yards - 0 TD - 0 INT - 12 rush yards
--NFC Championship: vs New Orleans: 25 for 40 - 297 yards - 1 TD - 1 INT - 10 rush yards
--Super Bowl: vs New England: 19 for 38 - 229 yards - 0 TD - 1 INT - 0 rush yards

So in those final 8 games: 165 for 286 (57.7%) - 1853 yards (231 yards per game) - 7 TD - 8 INT - 42 rush yards - 1 rush TD

That is...not good. If defenses found a way to game-plan against the Rams passing attack, it could be a long season for Goff owners. Now of course, Sean McVay has had a whole offseason to game-plan himself, and perhaps he'll be able to get Goff back on track. Having Kupp back can only help. But a potentially diminished Todd Gurley could have a huge negative impact on the team. He does have a fairly easy strength of schedule across the first 8 weeks of 2019, so if he does play well early, he could be worth trying to sell high before a more difficult back-half of the 2019 schedule. 

So adding Goff's final 8 games played last season (playoffs included) and his 9 games played this season, you have 17 games (which is one game more than a full regular season). 

Here are Goff's last 17 games: 379 for 641 (59.1%) - 4463 yards (262 yards per game) - 18 TD - 17 INT - 8 lost fumbles - 58 rush yards - 3 rush TD's

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Corleone said:

So adding Goff's final 8 games played last season (playoffs included) and his 9 games played this season, you have 17 games (which is one game more than a full regular season). 

Here are Goff's last 17 games: 379 for 641 (59.1%) - 4463 yards (262 yards per game) - 18 TD - 17 INT - 8 lost fumbles - 58 rush yards - 3 rush TD's

All for $130m

• Like 2

Very very tempted to drop in dynasty. serious regression this year. He's back to being a joke as he was his rookie year. 

Good QBs make steady progress every year - this year has Goff looking like the journeyman-at-best he looked lie in his rookie year.

Hoyer threw 3 TDs v PIT. Goff is in the Hoyer tier (or possibly worse).

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

Very very tempted to drop in dynasty. serious regression this year. He's back to being a joke as he was his rookie year. 

Good QBs make steady progress every year - this year has Goff looking like the journeyman-at-best he looked lie in his rookie year.

Hoyer threw 3 TDs v PIT. Goff is in the Hoyer tier (or possibly worse).

Brady, Brees or Mahomes couldn't do anything behind this garbage O line either. Kinda hard to complete passes when the entire defensive line is on top of you by the time you drop back to pass. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 1

Dumbest starting QB in the league.  The league isn't gonna let McVay QB the team anymore.

19 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Brady, Brees or Mahomes couldn't do anything behind this garbage O line either. Kinda hard to complete passes when the entire defensive line is on top of you by the time you drop back to pass. 

Strongly disagree. Goff is just not dynamic. He just stands there. He makes it easy on opposing D's. Completely one dimensional. He looks for his first or second option and that's it. 

Mahomes or Lamar Jackson can create things even with pressure. Brees and others can as well. 

Goff is simply not very talented or smart. I've been saying this since week 1. If you look back several pages I said this, so I'm not just piling on now. 

5 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

So his 4,698 yard 32 TD, 101.1 rating season last year, 8 of which without his best WR, was just luck? I think someone needs to go back and watch the film from last year and look at the massive difference in how well the O line played as opposed to this year.

Plenty of qb’s who people consider mediocre or bad, put up 1 or 2 great seasons in a career of meh-ness.

Goff was working with the best o-line in the league along with a beastly running game, Cooks and Woods, and half a season of Kupp.

Derek Carr had 2016, Dalton had 2015, Mariota had 2016, etc.. 

• Like 3

It seems like they’ve been trying to justify Goff’s big contract or something.  Why would any coach allow him to throw 41 times against that defense.  I know we’re sitting in a lemon here but Gurley was actually effective this time.

@Dexter75 @Ryansm11 

@WaiverLooter 

Guys, instead of going back & forth with insults, how about you stick to the topics. If you dont like a player or strategy while 1 does, then just keep your comments to yourself. There are different strategies,  opinions, etc, in FF. We can either keep this simple & stay on point, or we can lock every topic & suspend people. Either way, knock it off!

13 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

So his 4,698 yard 32 TD, 101.1 rating season last year, 8 of which without his best WR, was just luck? I think someone needs to go back and watch the film from last year and look at the massive difference in how well the O line played as opposed to this year.

"Last year"

If you want to hang your hat on last year, okay. 

I'm living in the present where he does not look good at all. 

A great quarterback cannot be totally shut down. 

But since Goff is just a stand still mediocre passer, he's easy to shut down if he doesn't have an all time great offensive line. 

The eye test is obvious. Watch Mahomes, Jackson, and other greats and then watch Goff. He just doesn't have it. And the numbers show that.

1 minute ago, mbell317 said:

The eye test is obvious. Watch Mahomes, Jackson, and other greats and then watch Goff. He just doesn't have it. And the numbers show that.

Lets pump the brakes on calling Jackson great. We’ll see if that running style has longevity. 

I remember when people were calling Kaepernick great

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chippa said:

Lets pump the brakes on calling Jackson great. We’ll see if that running style has longevity. 

I remember when people were calling Kaepernick great

Kapernick wasn't passing the rock as well as Lamar does.

Lamar is in a different class

• Like 1

The rams offense has also largely been figured out this year. It is doubtful they (McVay and Goff) will ever regain the numbers of last year. Maybe upgrading the O line will get them in the right direction but Goff will still be an average qb that produces with a good O line. He needs to expand his reads, have better pocket awareness. Reminds me a bit of Kirk Cousins. Can put up big numbers occasionally but doesn’t move well in the pocket so is prone to fumble under pressure. Also vastly overpaid like Cousins.

9 minutes ago, Rickydragon said:

It seems like they’ve been trying to justify Goff’s big contract or something.  Why would any coach allow him to throw 41 times against that defense.  I know we’re sitting in a lemon here but Gurley was actually effective this time.

I don't really get it either. Their OLine isn't good this season and it is easier to run block than pass block. They should be doing everything they can to run the ball and set up play-action. Like they did the last two seasons. They have other RB's as well if Gurley doesn't have all the juice they need. Looking to me like McVay has hit a wall with his scheme. I remember when they happened to Chip Kelley after a couple seasons as well.

Just now, WaiverLooter said:

The rams offense has also largely been figured out this year. It is doubtful they (McVay and Goff) will ever regain the numbers of last year. Maybe upgrading the O line will get them in the right direction but Goff will still be an average qb that produces with a good O line. He needs to expand his reads, have better pocket awareness. Reminds me a bit of Kirk Cousins. Can put up big numbers occasionally but doesn’t move well in the pocket so is prone to fumble under pressure. Also vastly overpaid like Cousins.

Yep, the league has definitely caught up with the Rams.  Unfortunately for them, Goff doesn't have the skills, smarts, and intangibles to adjust on the fly, so they are stuck

Just now, WaiverLooter said:

Goff wishes he was Cousins.

you think Goff couldve played as well as Kirk did last year with that 2018 minnesota o-line? Of course not. 

Goff turns into his true self when he doesnt have a great o-line. And his true self is the rookie we saw under Jeff Fisher