SuperJoint

Jared Goff 2019 Outlook

I like Todd Gurley, too, and don't want to give him bad karma but if his knee doesn't hold up which a fair number of experts have been predicting then I think that Goff will be a surefire top 10 qb with an outside chance at the top 5 because they'll be passing a lot.

Drives will also be stalling more. I can't say either way but I haven't seen anything to indicate that losing a great RB actually helps a QB's numbers. Or hurts them. I would think hurts, because again less successful drives overall (fewer plays). 

18 minutes ago, bomont said:

Drives will also be stalling more. I can't say either way but I haven't seen anything to indicate that losing a great RB actually helps a QB's numbers. Or hurts them. I would think hurts, because again less successful drives overall (fewer plays). 

I think it's just common sense that if you're a team that doesn't have a star or at least solid rb in there, you're going to pass more especially if you're in shootouts.

I took a risk yesterday and drafted both Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper in a league thinking that Zeke Elliott's holdout could last well into the season so they'll be passing more and now I'm reading reports that could very well be the case. 

averaged 237 ypg in 3 playoff games with 1 total thrown TD. Yuck. 

Add that to his last few games in the reg season, not good. Take out the 4 TDs against SF and it's scary how bad he was from December onward.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sjm76 said:

I think it's just common sense that if you're a team that doesn't have a star or at least solid rb in there, you're going to pass more especially if you're in shootouts.

Yes, but I also think it's common sense that if you go from one of the best RBs in the league to someone far less talented, you're going to run fewer plays because your offense isn't as good so drives will stall more. 

As for Goff sucking in Dec/playoffs, then don't start him in Dec. I don't buy this what happened at the end of last year will carry over thing. It may, but IMO he's well worth a cheap flyer. People conveniently ignore how he tore it up before that. And again I don't think that happening right about the same time Kupp went out is coincidence.

He had 2 td (1rush) against Arizona with 0 int as well don’t think he played whole game either.  It was 3 bad games and playoffs they just ran the ball for 200+ yards against cowboys. He did his job. Look at all the other QBs in playoffs not very many had a good run.  He had the best QB rating in nfl history with at least 4 prime time games played before his games against chi and philly so it was really just evening out. 

Posted (edited)

As mentioned, I drafted Goff in a draft that I had yesterday because I think his main problem was that he didn't have Kupp who was his favorite receiver when he had his bad games.  With Kupp, Cooks and Woods now all healthy, he should have a solid year and bounce back if all of them stay healthy. 

Edited by sjm76

Posted (edited)

I bet this guy is one of the most owned players on a championship team.

A guy you can get late in drafts with plenty of pass catchers in Woods, Cooks, and Kupp. Even added a RB in Henderson that makes explosive receiving plays. Go get your studs, steal this guy late and be good to go at QB.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 5

Surprisingly little experience along that entire interior line.  If Goff had performed better under pressure throughout his career, I wouldn’t be as concerned, but...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I bet this guy is one of the most owned players on a championship team.

A guy you can get late in drafts with plenty of pass catchers in Woods, Cooks, and Kupp. Even added a RB in Henderson that makes explosive receiving plays. Go get your studs, steal this guy late and be good to go at QB.

I agree DHC. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 12:46 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

The Rams announced that Goff cannot read defenses.  Now getthefugouttahere.

For real though, my point is that Goff was entirely exposed in the Superbowl.  The secret's out.

I'm just saying, what you said couldn't be farther from the truth. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BMcP said:

Surprisingly little experience along that entire interior line.  If Goff had performed better under pressure throughout his career, I wouldn’t be as concerned, but...

That is my biggest concern and why I won't take him for much more than minimum, but there's a legit shot I can get him for that.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 1:58 PM, smeeze said:

Amen. And if Brandin Cooks didn’t drop that pass in the endzone (which he was interfered with on) we’d be talking about Goff as 24 year old Superbowl winning QB. Crazy recency bias on this one.

You mean the throw Goff was 80mins late on? Lol at trying to put that on cooks

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

You mean the throw Goff was 80mins late on? Lol at trying to put that on cooks

Agree. Check this video to see both how long Goff waited and for how much time Cooks was open.

https://www.patriots.com/video/jason-mccourty-flies-in-to-break-up-would-be-td-to-brandin-cooks

It's weird even. One of your prime targets goes deep and you don't see it until it's too late? Either Cooks was not supposed to be there or Goff seriously crumbled under pressure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Agree. Check this video to see both how long Goff waited and for how much time Cooks was open.

https://www.patriots.com/video/jason-mccourty-flies-in-to-break-up-would-be-td-to-brandin-cooks

It's weird even. One of your prime targets goes deep and you don't see it until it's too late? Either Cooks was not supposed to be there or Goff seriously crumbled under pressure.

There’s no way to know what Goff’s progression was on that play, which could very well account for why Cooks looked so uncovered, or what the backfield pressure was that Goff may have been moving to keep the play alive and unable to set and throw deep until it was too late.  The CB obviously released him to drop into a shallower area.  That said, a better QB would have thrown a pass that forced Cooks away from the S and would have had a TD on that play.

• Like 2

Ended up landing Cooks and Cupp, so I paired them with Goff. In other words, Robert Woods will have a huge year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Goff is a solid QB, with a great team, and fantastic receivers.

He is severely underrated and will be in the top 5 discussion most of the year. This guy is a late round steal.  IMO

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sivaro said:

Goff is a solid QB, with a great team, and fantastic receivers.

He is severely underrated and will be in the top 5 discussion most of the year. This guy is a late round steal.  IMO

Most of the Rams are super undervalued. Woods in the 4th? Kupp in the 5th? Goff in the 9th? Easy money.

Posted (edited)

I know nobody cares, but I got him in round 14. Extraordinary value there, and QBs in general at the end of drafts. Excited to see what he does. I like him a lot, and I think them monitoring Gurley may make him even better with more volume.

I love it in mocks when people laugh at me for never picking a QB until late. In mocks the best guys available at the end are like Trubisky and Stafford. Lol

That's not how it goes in real, competitive leagues.

Edited by Singing in Dwayne
  • Like 1

How do we feel about him this week on the road against Carolina? Based on last season, Carolina's weakness was their secondary. I want to trust Goff but the way he ended last season may have to sit him a week or two and go with a safer play like Cousins or Dak.

1 hour ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Non Zeke contract news

Well Deserved... to be honest.

1 hour ago, LionKid90 said:

How do we feel about him this week on the road against Carolina? Based on last season, Carolina's weakness was their secondary. I want to trust Goff but the way he ended last season may have to sit him a week or two and go with a safer play like Cousins or Dak.

I’m feeling great. This guy was the #3 FF QB (or #2 depending on settings) before Kupp went down. With them potentially giving Gurley some more rest, and with another year and super bowl experience under his belt, I’m betting on a huge year for Goff