Iron-cock

Todd Gurley 2019 Outlook

Gurley kept falling to me in the mid-late 2nd round in my Yahoo leagues I own him in 4 of 6 leagues there. Interesting in my Espn leagues he would always go late first early 2nd so never had a chance to grab him. 

I'm still a believer in him. Hes going to win us alot of money this season. 70% of what he did last season is all we need. 

1 hour ago, ponza88 said:

Wow!  Looks like he's motivated and ready for a full workload! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

That's just f*cking great.

Maybe tomorrow I'll trade him for a kicker. If I'm lucky.

11 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

Yeah I'm sure they have no idea how their $10 million running back feels.

tenor.gif

Edited by TTo34

1 minute ago, TTo34 said:

tenor.gif

I never meant to get Gurley but panicked and took him because of the other options at RB and how fast they go in our league.

Started reading up on arthritis and it is NOT good. Most of the materials I found talk about retired 50 year old players having the symptoms that TG has now. Can act up at any time and as we saw last year it may never get better. 

Hoping for the best but this is not encouraging and sounds exactly like what arthritis is like. 

8 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

tenor.gif

They aren’t saying the don’t know how he feels, they are saying they don’t know how he will respond to playing actual football. That’s 100% true. Nobody knows including Todd what will happen. Why the uproar about the unknown? 

He ended up doing fine once they started feeding him late in the game. Not sure what to make of Brown getting so much run but McVay has to realize that if he’s healthy he needs to get touches.

Looks like he's healthy, but will be workload managed all year in anticipation of the Rams playoff run. He was used in sort of a closer role and racked up yardage when the game was on the line. 

I don't think Malcolm Brown will vulture every rushing TD, so I look at Gurley as a high-end RB2 right now given that this is still a potent offense (especially at home when Goff actually performs).

As someone who got him at 3.01, this was an acceptable and even encouraging Week 1 outcome.

Edited by the Ghost of Joe Webb

He didn't look "healthy" to me. He had some nice runs, but didn't end a single one of them well. He looked scared and nervous ending all of his runs. He had an opportunity 1-on-1 with a DB and opted to get out of bounds instead of trying to take on the DB and get the TD.

And the pitch count was definitely there. Maybe they were warming him up, but it is a legitimate concern. The coaching staff hasn't been truthful at all. They consistently lie about Gurley's status dating back to last season. They weren't "blind" going into the game. That coaching staff knew what they were doing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, devaster said:

He didn't look "healthy" to me. He had some nice runs, but didn't end a single one of them well. He looked scared and nervous ending all of his runs. He had an opportunity 1-on-1 with a DB and opted to get out of bounds instead of trying to take on the DB and get the TD.

And the pitch count was definitely there. Maybe they were warming him up, but it is a legitimate concern. The coaching staff hasn't been truthful at all. They consistently lie about Gurley's status dating back to last season. They weren't "blind" going into the game. That coaching staff knew what they were doing.

He definitely shied away from two opportunities to bowl some guys over for a TD.  Even the announcer on RZ was like, "um..what was that?"  Also, I sort of noticed a limp so ....what did I do?  I searched twitter for "gurley limp" and sure as s---...I was not the only one spotting that.

I honestly don't know what to think about all this.  Not sure if he is just easing into gameplay.  If he is still really sore.  Is there any quarrels with the coaching staff?  Is there something we don't know about that could be causing the coaching staff to give some other players more time on the field?  Is Gurley trying to be a Patriot?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

He definitely shied away from two opportunities to bowl some guys over for a TD.  Even the announcer on RZ was like, "um..what was that?"  Also, I sort of noticed a limp so ....what did I do?  I searched twitter for "gurley limp" and sure as s---...I was not the only one spotting that.

I honestly don't know what to think about all this.  Not sure if he is just easing into gameplay.  If he is still really sore.  Is there any quarrels with the coaching staff?  Is there something we don't know about that could be causing the coaching staff to give some other players more time on the field?  Is Gurley trying to be a Patriot?

Any way you can provide a clip that shows the limo? That’s a bit alarming. 

Edited by mvttchew
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, mvttchew said:

Any way you can provide a clip that shows the limo? That’s a bit alarming. 

Probably not.  And there is a 150% chance Gurley stays exactly where he is in my lineup.  Not going to go after Malcom Brown either....just don't care.  Rather use the waiver FAAB somwhere else. 

• Haha 1

Week one overreaction is in full effect here.

1. The limp. I did not notice the limp. He can be walking a little bit weird and people will overreact because of his knee. We will see if this is true or not but I wouldn't put too much into it

2. The split. He did not play the entire preseason. Look at Elliot who didn't play either. His split was even worse than that of Gurley and if not for a TD he would have been a huge flop this week.

3. Gurley put up over 100 yards and people are still complaining. Oh lord it's the end of the world because Gurley didn't get a couple GL touches not even one half into his first game action in 7 months. 

He was drafted back first or early second. Stop expecting him to get all the touches like you would with a top 4 back. He produced with great efficiency on a lower workload. Exactly how he is supposed to. If you expected otherwise I don't know why you drafted him. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 4

Years ago when Ray Rice was still with the Ravens they used to have a strategy of 2 series on 1 off. This week Gurley got the start and played the first 3 series and then they rotated 1-1 afterwards. They’ve already said they didn’t have a plan in regards to Todd’s usage this week so it seems like they were just winging it. 

One positive would be Malcolm Brown isn’t the goal line back, it just so happened that 2 of his drives ended up in the redzone which is why he got the carries down there. Is he an elite RB1, no but I have no issues starting his as a mid-low end RB1 which is where almost all of us drafted him anyway. If one of his drives ends with a rushing TD this would be a lot different.

• Like 2

He was lucky to have 97 yards yesterday.  Dude was sitting at under 35 rushing yards for a good 3 quarters of the game yesterday and got "vultured" twice by Brown.

He also only had one reception...ONE.  That just won't cut it in a PPR league.  The workload decrease is real.

Also, there were times were he really just avoided contact.  Last year, we would have taken defenders head on.  There was a play in the game yesterday where he could have bulldozed his way into the endzone but opted to run out of bounds instead. 

His straight line speed looks fine but there is zero chance he is 100% and I doubt he will ever get there this season.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

He was lucky to have 97 yards yesterday.  Dude was sitting at under 35 rushing yards for a good 3 quarters of the game yesterday and got "vultured" twice by Brown.

He also only had one reception...ONE.  That just won't cut it in a PPR league.  The workload decrease is real.

Also, there were times were he really just avoided contact.  Last year, we would have taken defenders head on.  There was a play in the game yesterday where he could have bulldozed his way into the endzone but opted to run out of bounds instead. 

His straight line speed looks fine but there is zero chance he is 100% and I doubt he will ever get there this season.

100% or not, why the hell would he want to risk getting injured during the first week of the season? The Rams were up the whole game and there was really no need for him to get those extra yards. It looked like he turned it up a bit near the end once the Panthers started to come back.

I still don't know what to make of Gurley this season, and I don't think yesterday tells us much.  Looked pedestrian for most of the game, wasn't really used at the goalline, did not see any work in the preseason so it could be snap count related, and ended up with a decent stat line in the end. 

1 hour ago, Elcapitan said:

100% or not, why the hell would he want to risk getting injured during the first week of the season? The Rams were up the whole game and there was really no need for him to get those extra yards. It looked like he turned it up a bit near the end once the Panthers started to come back.

Thats one of my concerns with gurley this year actually. If the Rams have a big lead (often) are they just going to use their other RBs to bleed out the clock? 

Like if the rams go up early 21-3 will Gurley be sitting the rest of the game with Brown taking all the carries? 

3 hours ago, ludawg23 said:

He got incredibly unlucky.  Touchdowns are luck in this game.  How much different is the narrative if he falls into the end zone.  And I doubt he averages 1 catch a game.