Iron-cock

Todd Gurley 2019 Outlook

9 hours ago, youngrice said:

THey both had it as last ditch efforts to resurrect their careers.  I can't speak fo Gurley and I am obviously not a stud athlete but I did steam cell last year with hope's to help with my degenerative arthritis in the my right knee I had ACL surgery in 13 years ago.  Ended up being a waste of 5 k.  My point is if they are going that route its not a simple issue that can just be fixed by surgery.  Which isn't good.

Sounds like this arthritis issue could pop up for Gurley throughout the rest of his career. Even if he's fully healthy moving forward there is no way that Stl gives him that many touches again. They will have to do a better job of managing his work load.

That means they will for sure keep CJA and/or get some other help. If they lose CJA in Free Agency how would you rank a RB drafted in the 3rd to 5th round with the current information on TG?

7 hours ago, thebadferret said:

That means they will for sure keep CJA and/or get some other help. If they lose CJA in Free Agency how would you rank a RB drafted in the 3rd to 5th round with the current information on TG?

Gurley's backup will have to be treated like a high end handcuff. Stl has a great offensive line and any RB starting in that offense will be a top 20 RB in fantasy

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:10 AM, FISH20 said:

Gurley's backup will have to be treated like a high end handcuff. Stl has a great offensive line and any RB starting in that offense will be a top 20 RB in fantasy

CJA had some good weeks, but is that for sure? The Patriots stifled their running game without Gurley. Gurley is the key cog that offense runs through. I'm not so sure his back-up/handcuff can step in and consistently produce RB1 numbers.

Posted (edited)

Crazy how people have kinda started to believe that ACLs once fixed pose no threat of reinjury/lingering issues, especially when compared to thinks like sprained ankles/hamstrings. 

People love to say soft tissue injury guys are “injury prone” while ignoring injury histories for all the guys with torn knee ligaments, when it’s pretty clear that having knee surgery is gonna leave some long lasting negative effects.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Crazy how people have kinda started to believe that ACLs once fixed pose no threat of reinjury/lingering issues, especially when compared to thinks like sprained ankles/hamstrings. 

People love to say soft tissue injury guys are “injury prone” while ignoring injury histories for all the guys with torn knee ligaments, when it’s pretty clear that having knee surgery is gonna leave some long lasting negative effects.

What does arthritis have to do with an ACL? Players come back fine from ACLs all the time. Arthritis is chronic.

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

What does arthritis have to do with an ACL? Players come back fine from ACLs all the time. Arthritis is chronic.

It's pretty well documented that people with ACL surgery are at a much higher risk of developing Osteoarthritis. 

33 minutes ago, K197040 said:

It's pretty well documented that people with ACL surgery are at a much higher risk of developing Osteoarthritis. 

Which other players has this happened to? 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Which other players has this happened to? 

I have no idea.  Why?  Are you disputing all of the studies?

Edited by K197040

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

I have no idea.  Why?  Are you disputing all of the studies?

No, the OP said we need to start grouping people with ACL tears into the 'injury prone' category, and used Gurley as evidence. I can list a million players that have come back fine from ACLs. You know more than just Gurley that got arthritis a couple years later? The onus would be on you to provide other examples.

This is just an outlier.

28 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

No, the OP said we need to start grouping people with ACL tears into the 'injury prone' category, and used Gurley as evidence. I can list a million players that have come back fine from ACLs. You know more than just Gurley that got arthritis a couple years later? The onus would be on you to provide other examples.

This is just an outlier.

Maybe developing arthritis so early is an outlier but studies have show that performance does often take a hit for players coming back from ACL surgery.  And also that they have a higher rate of injury after coming back.   I think the OP's point was that fantasy players tend to overlook an ACL injury and assume that it's not significant.   When in fact, it does increase the risk of that player developing future problems.  Whether it's OA in Gurley's case, or constant knee issues, or a re-tear.   The jury is still out but Sony Michele is possibly another example.

2 hours ago, K197040 said:

Maybe developing arthritis so early is an outlier but studies have show that performance does often take a hit for players coming back from ACL surgery.  And also that they have a higher rate of injury after coming back.   I think the OP's point was that fantasy players tend to overlook an ACL injury and assume that it's not significant.   When in fact, it does increase the risk of that player developing future problems.  Whether it's OA in Gurley's case, or constant knee issues, or a re-tear.   The jury is still out but Sony Michele is possibly another example.

Sony looked great as the year went on. I don't take into account if a player tore his ACL a couple years ago a single bit on draft day.

Better for me if people do, I guess.

18 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Sony looked great as the year went on. I don't take into account if a player tore his ACL a couple years ago a single bit on draft day.

I don't think Sony had a strong finish. Sure the playoffs he wasn't terrible, but 4 of his last 5 games he had below 8 points, with 3 of them being below 5.9 points. His bone on bone is going to be a real concern for his career. His career nearly ended against the Bears.

12 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

I don't think Sony had a strong finish. Sure the playoffs he wasn't terrible, but 4 of his last 5 games he had below 8 points, with 3 of them being below 5.9 points. His bone on bone is going to be a real concern for his career. His career nearly ended against the Bears.

Oh yeah, for fantasy he wasn't great. He was awesome in real life in the playoffs though, which is pertinent to the current discussion.

ACL injuries are definitely looked at a lot differently than they were say 10 years ago. Since Brady came back fine and played at a high level and Adrian Peterson came back really early and ran for 2000 yards. That doesn't mean a player can't suffer setbacks or complications later on.

35 minutes ago, devaster said:

ACL injuries are definitely looked at a lot differently than they were say 10 years ago. Since Brady came back fine and played at a high level and Adrian Peterson came back really early and ran for 2000 yards. That doesn't mean a player can't suffer setbacks or complications later on.

Of course, but the OP said it should be lumped in with soft tissue issues and I disagreed. Think that was really my only point. A guy that tears a hamstring (Arian Foster) is more likely to keep having issues than a guy that tears an ACL.

3 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

I actually ignore all past injuries when drafting if a guy is currently healthy. I recognize that football players get hurt and any given play can end it all for anyone. I just find it strange how people rag on guys with past ankle/hammy/quad injuries while overlooking guys who have sustained far more severe injuries.

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Of course, but the OP said it should be lumped in with soft tissue issues and I disagreed. Think that was really my only point. A guy that tears a hamstring (Arian Foster) is more likely to keep having issues than a guy that tears an ACL.

Source? I can rattle off countless guys who have sustained ACL damage and had lingering issues (Gurley, Melvin, Charles, Michel). I can also name countless athletes with “soft tissue” injuries that ended up fine (Saquon, Odell, Steph Curry). Also, ligaments are soft tissue so not sure how ACLs aren’t counted as soft tissue injuries.

If you guys are done bickering over the broad topic of ACL injuries, let's get back to talking about Todd Gurley.

There's one thing we can pretty much count on, no matter how Gurley's offseason rehab goes: once the regular season arrives, the Rams are going to say that he's totally fine.

8 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Source? I can rattle off countless guys who have sustained ACL damage and had lingering issues (Gurley, Melvin, Charles, Michel). I can also name countless athletes with “soft tissue” injuries that ended up fine (Saquon, Odell, Steph Curry). Also, ligaments are soft tissue so not sure how ACLs aren’t counted as soft tissue injuries.

I've been around sports all my life and have torn my ACL. I'm my own source. Talk about Gurley again. This is dumb.

My guess is April will tell all. Do the Rams draft a rb in the 1st round to get that extra option year? Jacobs and Montgomery can fit the system. Also, do they wait a little later and draft Justice or Armstead. The problem I foresee as stated about is the Rams are going to say Gurley is healthy and we could see what happened over the last 2 games of the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

I completely agree with this.   My main point was that studies show that ACL injuries do increase the risk of future problems with the player.   And if I have two players that I've graded as almost equal, I'll take the one that hasn't had the injury.   That being said, I can't think of a player I've passed on because of an ACL.   I took both Gurley and Michele at their ADPs this last year. 

1 hour ago, K197040 said:

I completely agree with this.   My main point was that studies show that ACL injuries do increase the risk of future problems with the player.   

Isn't that true of most injuries? If you dislocate your shoulder, you are more likely to do it again, for instance. If you get one concussion you are more prone to a second, etc