Iron-cock

Todd Gurley 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

3 things are going on with the Rams that have nothing to do with Gurley's knee:

1. They lost Saffold (G) and Sullivan? (C) from the o line, plus Whitworth (LT) got old.  The line is terrible. The replacements for the departed G and C haven't been very good, and both are now hurt... so at least we have 2nd/3rd stringers to look forward to.

2.  The Patriots put the blueprint to stop McVay's offense on tape in the Superbowl. They're not fooling anybody anymore.

3.  Goff isn't actually anything special at QB.  He has arm talent, but needs a script.  The combination of 1 and 2 above has torn up the script, and Goff can't do improv.

I wouldn't worry about Gurley's knee.  It's not the problem.  I'm not even convinced it's a problem at all.

I worry that the offense just really sucks this year... and isn't likely to get better.

Yes, for sure all of the above, except, why such a droppoff in snaps this year if no knee issues?  Here lately, we're lucky if he climbs into the 70% range

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to state this - despite what happens the rest of the season....Gurley is going to be a big target for me in the 2020 season.  This year is just a mess.  Not sure what is going on with this organization and the team.  Teams have either figured them out or Goff's inability to manage this team is starting to show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Just wanted to state this - despite what happens the rest of the season....Gurley is going to be a big target for me in the 2020 season.  This year is just a mess.  Not sure what is going on with this organization and the team.  Teams have either figured them out or Goff's inability to manage this team is starting to show. 

I can’t say I’ll be getting on this ride again unless they get a whole new offensive line or he gets new knee’s. I’m hoping for one last hoorah these last few weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Just wanted to state this - despite what happens the rest of the season....Gurley is going to be a big target for me in the 2020 season.  This year is just a mess.  Not sure what is going on with this organization and the team.  Teams have either figured them out or Goff's inability to manage this team is starting to show. 

Are we thinking he could be a RB1 in a different uni?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MSkibisky said:

Are we thinking he could be a RB1 in a different uni?

 

Doubt it.  Just thinking that the Rams don't let this mess of a system go unchecked for another year.  Plus...it is LA.  For the most part, you are going to find a lot of interest going to a locale that is 75+ and low humidity the entire year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 7:28 PM, CletisVanDamme said:

Looking for a silver lining and having a hard time here...even the handcuff situation is murkey as ever so there's zero safety net.  Only upside I see in this whole mess it its pretty clear now that you can avoid drafting in the future, at least anywhere near the front of the draft.  Next year, when you're staring at the draft board, you know exactly what you will be getting in him as opposed to back in Sept when he was more of a unknown.  Don't think this is an injury that he will ever "bounce" back from to his old self.  DND for me from here on out.

Do people still actually think the injury is the main problem for his performance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

I wouldn't worry about Gurley's knee.  It's not the problem.  I'm not even convinced it's a problem at all.

 

His knee is always going to be a problem. I dont know how anyone can say otherwise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Evincar said:

 

His knee is always going to be a problem. I dont know how anyone can say otherwise.

 

exactly. 

it's a degenerative condition, ergo, it may not necessarily be getting worse atm ... but it ain't ever getting "better" - it's a race against time, and time's been undefeated in like, forever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Projection: 12 pts (0.5 PPR)

Research: During the weekly Wednesday press conference, Rams head coach Sean McVay was asked about the changes in his offensive line, as three (3) of his five (5) starters have had less than three (3) starts in the NFL, with Bobby Evans at Right Tackle having zero (0) starts. The coach responded by saying “this will be a good challenge” and that they are “still working through what the lineup is going to look like”, which does not sound promising. Additionally, the coach was also asked about how the changes in offensive line will dictate his offensive game plan this week, in which he responded by saying “it is number one predicated on your players and number two on their players and how you want to make sure that you’re putting your guys in as much of a favorable spot as possible, so to answer your question, yes, but it will be especially relevant given the things we are operating with right now.” Based on that response, it appears that Sean McVay might avoid exposing his offensive line with run blocking schemes and try to keep them in pass protection mode. I predict the Rams to throw the ball a lot and the Bears defense to dominate the line of scrimmage, making it a tough night for Todd Gurley putting him in the RB2 category range.   

Edited by TBE75
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TBE75 said:

Projection: 12 pts (0.5 PPR)

Research: During the weekly Wednesday press conference, Rams head coach Sean McVay was asked about the changes in his offensive line, as three (3) of his five (5) starters have had less than three (3) starts in the NFL, with Bobby Evans at Right Tackle having zero (0) starts. The coach responded by saying “this will be a good challenge” and that they are “still working through what the lineup is going to look like”, which does not sound promising. Additionally, the coach was also asked about how the changes in offensive line will dictate his offensive game plan this week, in which he responded by saying “it is number one predicated on your players and number two on their players and how you want to make sure that you’re putting your guys in as much of a favorable spot as possible, so to answer your question, yes, but it will be especially relevant given the things we are operating with right now.” Based on that response, it appears that Sean McVay might avoid exposing his offensive line with run blocking schemes and try to keep them in pass protection mode. I predict the Rams to throw the ball a lot and the Bears defense to dominate the line of scrimmage, making it a tough night for Todd Gurley putting him in the RB2 category range.   

Hmm but it’s easier to run block...compensating for weak OL play  with quick passing game from shotgun is effective but that’s if you got a capable QB. 
 

If McVay wants to win, he needs to unleash Gurley. Gurley is over 230lb and can wear down opposing defense through 4 quarters. Goff needs his play action to be effective with Cooks missing as well. 
 

Especially against Bears defense that features a top tier Safety, Corner and Pass rusher. 
 

Just my wishful thinking...
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack Valentine said:

Hmm but it’s easier to run block...compensating for weak OL play  with quick passing game from shotgun is effective but that’s if you got a capable QB. 
 

If McVay wants to win, he needs to unleash Gurley. Gurley is over 230lb and can wear down opposing defense through 4 quarters. Goff needs his play action to be effective with Cooks missing as well. 
 

Especially against Bears defense that features a top tier Safety, Corner and Pass rusher. 
 

Just my wishful thinking...
 

 

I agree.

Thinking they'll pass more to avoid exposing a weak OL is... weird.  It's a really weird take.  Especially against a defense stronger against the pass than the run, featuring Kalil Mack...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bears are #4 in points allowed and #9 in rushing yards allowed per game. Ugh. I don't like this matchup at all. 

What's everyone doing here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benching.  His recent production, and tough matchup, just don’t line up with the projections in my opinion. 

 

I will say though, when I feel like i have good sound reasoning in decisions like these, the experts seem to be smarter than me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple thoughts from last night:

1: Collinsworth proclaimed that the rams have the right side of their line figured out for the future after one half of football which I obviously don’t agree with. Yes they played better but that’s not hard to do compared to how the rams O-line had been playing.

2: After 10 weeks of beating his head on a brick wall McVay finally decided that his scheme isn’t the only thing that matters and changed his scheme to fit his personnel better and it worked for about a half.

 

3: The bears obviously didn’t prepare for any of the power run looks that the Rams used which allowed Gurley to get off to a really fast and productive start, pretty sure he had 80 yards in the first quarter. As the game went on his effectiveness dropped as the Bears had time to adjust from their game plan to better stop power runs and the Rams looked just like they have previously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

Couple thoughts from last night:

1: Collinsworth proclaimed that the rams have the right side of their line figured out for the future after one half of football which I obviously don’t agree with. Yes they played better but that’s not hard to do compared to how the rams O-line had been playing.

2: After 10 weeks of beating his head on a brick wall McVay finally decided that his scheme isn’t the only thing that matters and changed his scheme to fit his personnel better and it worked for about a half.

 

3: The bears obviously didn’t prepare for any of the power run looks that the Rams used which allowed Gurley to get off to a really fast and productive start, pretty sure he had 80 yards in the first quarter. As the game went on his effectiveness dropped as the Bears had time to adjust from their game plan to better stop power runs and the Rams looked just like they have previously. 

Yeah tailed off 2nd half big time. They had one play that stayed productive though. I’ll take the carries though. Let’s keep it rolling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ryansm11 said:

Yeah tailed off 2nd half big time. They had one play that stayed productive though. I’ll take the carries though. Let’s keep it rolling 

 

To be fair, the only other offensive threat active that night was Kupp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Yeah tailed off 2nd half big time. They had one play that stayed productive though. I’ll take the carries though. Let’s keep it rolling 

 

I'm starting to believe that McVay's system and team is not that agile.  Look at the Super Bowl for instance - you'd think adjustments would have been made at half based off the fact that the Patriots were building off of what the Lions and Bears did so successfully against them earlier in the year.  Duh bro...you've been found....you got to expect that to eventually happen.  It does not surprise me that the Rams came out with a strong game plan and then they got found.  McVay is definitely no Belichick....he is basically a poor man's Andy Reid...sad and Super Bowl-less

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

 

I'm starting to believe that McVay's system and team is not that agile.  Look at the Super Bowl for instance - you'd think adjustments would have been made at half based off the fact that the Patriots were building off of what the Lions and Bears did so successfully against them earlier in the year.  Duh bro...you've been found....you got to expect that to eventually happen.  It does not surprise me that the Rams came out with a strong game plan and then they got found.  McVay is definitely no Belichick....he is basically a poor man's Andy Reid...sad and Super Bowl-less

 

 

McVay's offense has been very simple and it doesn't go all that deep. They were basically the real life equivalent of the guy in Madden who would spam the same 4 plays out of the same formation for the entire game. It worked because the opponent had to respect each component of the scheme, but the 6 man front threw a wrench in the gears by shutting down the outside zone run game, which most of the play action game plays off of, and now nothing really works. McVay has changed aspects of their scheme in an attempt to counter the counter, but he hasn't found anything that clicks yet.

What's funny is that Zac Taylor in Cincinnati is running the broken playbook straight as it was last year, with no adjustments made at all.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, trolltoll said:

Quiet in here.... anyone thinking they'll feed him again this Monday against Baltimore?

Hoping so but feeding him or not...my team is what is at this point..starting him regardless of his outlook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any chance he repeats has last performance tonight? or will we see the same crappy performance we've gotten all year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.