urban2014

Jimmy Garoppolo 2019 Outlook

I feel like Garoppolo is overrated.  In his SF career he has 12 TD's, 8 Ints in 8 games.  He has trouble staying healthy.  He has Kittle and not much else for weapons.  Don't see him as a good investment.

• Like 1

Well, he’s only suffered two injuries playing sports in his entire life, I believe.  It seems a bit premature to call the guy “injury-prone.”  And you know the Niners will add someone to pair with Kittle and Pettis - maybe Keelan Doss in the draft?  Or, you know, that AB guy might come over...

Fair, we have to see how the offseason plays out.  I'm not a big fan of QB's coming off a big knee injury though.  Even Brady was up and down coming off his knee injury.

Edited by simanium

56 minutes ago, simanium said:

Fair, we have to see how the offseason plays out.  I'm not a big fan of QB's coming off a big knee injury though.  Even Brady was up and down coming off his knee injury.

Of course, understood.  DeShaun Watson ended up having a nice year, in terms of recent examples.

Wentz was good later in the season after the OL came together and he was healthier as well. There aren't a lot of examples of QB's that tear an ACL or shred their knee that don't come back and be productive unless they weren't that great to begin with. RG3 is really the poster boy for that case. RG3 relies heavily on his legs though, even after the injury.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:33 AM, simanium said:

I feel like Garoppolo is overrated.  In his SF career he has 12 TD's, 8 Ints in 8 games.  He has trouble staying healthy.  He has Kittle and not much else for weapons.  Don't see him as a good investment.

He will have Antonio Brown.  San Fran needs to make that happen!

On 2/10/2019 at 10:33 AM, simanium said:

I don't see how anyone can properly 'rate' him based on the sample size.

On 10/02/2019 at 10:33 AM, simanium said:

Don't see him as a good investment.

He's going to be like what the 18th QB off the board next season? Youre basically losing nothing if he busts. Im all in in on Jimmy G if his health checks out in training camp.

Edited by Evincar

On 2/11/2019 at 2:31 PM, SyNdicateZ said:

He will have Antonio Brown.  San Fran needs to make that happen!

Agreed.  Living in the bay area they have been given a pass by fans and media since Balke ran the team into the ground.  But this is year 3 of the Lynch-Shanny combo.  They have made some suspect signings(garcon and mckinnon).  They need to fight for the playoffs or the honeymoon will be over.

For the past two year, I have been exceptional at picking late round QB value.  2017 it was Wentz (I also picked up Watson in the season).  Picked Carson up in the 12th.  Last year, I picked up Mahomes in all leagues in the 12th.  This year - I am really unsure of who that target is but Jimmy G has ALWAYS had a special place in my heart.  So much so...I basically cried when the Patriots traded him to the 49ers.  I went on many a rant where I said we should have traded Brady.  Jimmy G flourished in that system.  Anyways, I have digressed.  Jimmy G, also known as Big Dicky Garoppolo (or BDG), is on my short list of THE best QB values of the year.  He has a suite of targets in every position....I really like the potential. 

• Like 2

A late-round flyer guy but one with real potential IMO. Anyone considering for backup QB? 

27 minutes ago, bomont said:

A late-round flyer guy but one with real potential IMO. Anyone considering for backup QB? 

Absolutely.  My "bold prediction" last year was an MVP award.  I'm doubling down this year.  Not going as bold as MVP, but I think they'll represent the NFC in the Superbowl.  Shanahan is the best play-caller in the league, and they are WAY more weapons this year than last.  Love Jimmy G and the Niners this year.

4 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Absolutely.  My "bold prediction" last year was an MVP award.  I'm doubling down this year.  Not going as bold as MVP, but I think they'll represent the NFC in the Superbowl.  Shanahan is the best play-caller in the league, and they are WAY more weapons this year than last.  Love Jimmy G and the Niners this year.

Brady vs. Garappolo would be one for the ages.  As a Patriots fan, I might have to root for Jimmy G.  It is honestly a no lose situation for this Pats fan. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bomont said:

Yep,  Cousins backed by JimmyG is my white whale I'm hunting in every league this year that's either SuperFlex or 2QB.  JimmyG + Darnold is also a cheap yet high upside combo that I'm actively seeking out.  Any of the 3 is a great QB2 in single QB leagues with deep benches or best ball leagues and a much better pick IMHO than guys like LJax or Josh Allen despite being cheaper.  

2 hours ago, bomont said:

Wentz my QB1 and Jimmy on the bench

2 hours ago, jumper said:

Yep,  Cousins backed by JimmyG is my white whale I'm hunting in every league this year 

Exactly what I ended up with yesterday, though I think it may be a weekly matchup situation as the season goes on. SF has a lot of versatile backs that they can dump off to in space so this definitely won’t be a ball-control run-heavy offense. Opportunity is there for Jimmy to finish as a top-10 QB

wow is the shine off Jimmy G....got him uber cheap as y backup.....think he can produce good numbers in the system. 

Jimmy G might be a sneaky back end QB1 when it's all said and done this year. Offense is completely banged up at skill positions and SF has used Kittle largely as a blocker through the first 2 games. As things even out and the rust is shaken off, I wouldn't be surprised to see a big year here. Shanny is on another level as a play caller now and the defense is completely revamped and getting 3 and outs.

21 minutes ago, tatddy said:

Jimmy G might be a sneaky back end QB1 when it's all said and done this year. Offense is completely banged up at skill positions and SF has used Kittle largely as a blocker through the first 2 games. As things even out and the rust is shaken off, I wouldn't be surprised to see a big year here. Shanny is on another level as a play caller now and the defense is completely revamped and getting 3 and outs.

I want to believe, but the Joe Staley injury has certainly put a damper on the enthusiasm. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tatddy said:

I'm thinking to play him over Rodgers this weekend.

Debating him vs Brissett, both good matchups.

His painfully horrible preseason is still sticking in the back of my mind.

2 hours ago, kball09 said:

Actually I own the same 2 QBs. Tough call but I'm starting Jimmy G this week. 49ers have a bye week 4 and they are super motivated to take this first home game and head into the bye 3-0. They have a nice implied team total at 25.75 here. My only concern is Staley out protecting the blind side but I think the 49ers team blocking has been amazing first 2 weeks and the Shanny play calling should open up Kittle and co for a few long td opps. 

Def starting Brissett next week at home vs OAK with SF on a bye and rooting for him to go off this week on my bench. Mack not practicing this week isn't great for their overall O.

2 hours ago, kball09 said:

I wouldn't let it sway you too much. He admitted he was purposely playing differently in preseason to see which guys would fight for balls. There may be other reasons to be cautious but this should definitely not be one of them.

• Like 1