Sign in to follow this  
bradwatson

Rafael Devers 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Overlord said:

He needs a "good August" to "solidify him as a 2nd-round pick next year" and a "1st round pick in dynasties" .... ????

In what ******** universe is 22-years-old-for-the-rest-of-the-season Devers NOT a first round pick in dynasty leagues?  Are you referring to two team NL-only set-ups?  

Also not sure how he isn't a first rounder in redraft leagues, but okay.  

I'm a die-hard sox fan, and I love Devers, but he isn't a top 10 player. I would put him top 30, sure, but lets wait till he actually proves this breakout pace can sustain before we start throwing "first rounder easy" titles next to his name, he is no Trout yet.

Edited by MSkibisky

2 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

I'm a die-hard sox fan, and I love Devers, but he isn't a top 10 player. I would put him top 30, sure, but lets wait till he actually proves this breakout pace can sustain before we start throwing "first rounder easy" titles next to his name, he is no Trout yet.

He doesn't have to be Trout to make top 10. It's clear he's going to eclipse 200 hits and his average hard hit rate is Top 10 in MLB. He's also like 12 years old and not even close to his prime and somehow he's the best hitter on an already loaded lineup. Top 10 is absolutely feasible. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

Not top 10?  It is a race between him and Trout for AL MVP right now.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Right now, yes. But going into next year is what I was referring to. It's easy to say he is top 10 right now.... because he is lol. It's tougher to say where he will rank going into 2020 was my point.

He's going to go in the 1st round of every draft next season. Whether you take him or not, that's on you. But he will go in the 1st round. In dynasty leagues? Forget about it, probably top 5.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

2 hours ago, jspeco9 said:

He's going to go in the 1st round of every draft next season. Whether you take him or not, that's on you. But he will go in the 1st round. In dynasty leagues? Forget about it, probably top 5.

im actually starting to agree hes top 10.

are you taking him over Betts, Story, Lindor, Arenado, Baez,Freeman or all pitchers is the question.  i think we all agree Trout, Yelich, Acuna, Bellinger are prob the top 4. that leaves 6 spots.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

are you taking him over Betts, Story, Lindor, Arenado, Baez,Freeman or all pitchers is the question.  i think we all agree Trout, Yelich, Acuna, Bellinger are prob the top 4. that leaves 6 spots.

See, this is where I have issues. I can't see myself drafting Devers higher than any of the aforementioned names, even in a redraft.. the only one I would CONSIDER is Freeman or Baez.. and this is where you start to fade out of the top 10, hence why I said my original comment. I guess 2020 will be a telling tale.

Edited by MSkibisky
  • Like 1

This guy was just born to hit. Barrels up everything, would love to know his barrels% from any stattos out there!

2 hours ago, swfcdan said:

This guy was just born to hit. Barrels up everything, would love to know his barrels% from any stattos out there!

70% of the time....he barrels it everytime

• Like 2

Just now, BIGFLY4MIKETROUT said:

commits too many errors to be top 5 in a league with that as a category

Very few fantasy leagues use E's as a cat

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2019 at 5:03 AM, Overlord said:

He needs a "good August" to "solidify him as a 2nd-round pick next year" and a "1st round pick in dynasties" .... ????

In what ******** universe is 22-years-old-for-the-rest-of-the-season Devers NOT a first round pick in dynasty leagues?  Are you referring to two team NL-only set-ups?  Motown Magic, is that you?  

Also not sure how he isn't a first rounder in redraft leagues, but okay.  

A terrible 2018 season + April of 2019.

Devers was amazing for about three months. The title of a true '1st rounder' usually belongs to those who showed that they could be elite for a full season.

Usually in redrafts, most people tend to pick proven veterans with few seasons worth of elite production as their 1st round picks, so the landscape is a bit different in those leagues. Although, it doesn't mean that I think Devers should be a 2nd-rounder next year in redrafts.

(tbh, I personally would pick him in the late 1st round if given the chance.)

In keepers, I believe he is a top 10 asset. But I still saw some of my league mates viewing him as a mid 2nd-rounder at best... Until July, of course.

NOW... I think it is safe to say that anyone who DOESN'T consider Devers as a 1st-rounder is just being incredibly stubborn.

Edited by jhsong916

On 8/16/2019 at 12:28 AM, jfazz23 said:

Let's talk about keeper/dynasty leagues

Trout, Yelich, Acuna > Devers. No doubt.. At least at this point.

Bellinger...? I might be the few who thinks that this could actually be a tough decision. But I guess most can agree Bellinger is higher for now.

You've talked about Betts, Story, Lindor, Arenado, Baez, Freeman.

I may be crazy-high on Devers, but I would actually take Devers over Arenado and Freeman. 

Betts... is kinda debatable, but I think I would take Betts for now.

Lindor... I think I would pick Lindor over Devers.

Story and Baez... I believe they have almost the exact same value as Devers.

Oh... and one more player. Fernado Tatis Jr. should also be in this conversation. But I still think he's around the Top 10-15 range, for now.

You ask me about pitchers? Uh... no thank you. No pitcher is valuable enough to be picked 1st round in a dynasty league. Never in the past, never will be.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Today - 4/5, HR, 2 Doubles, 4 RBI. Absolute monster. 

Edited by JaJock
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

he deserves all the 2nd place MVP votes.  great year, great young player.  gonna be a top pick for a long time.  think arenado 

Edited by jfazz23

His 2020 thread on this forum next season will be two pages. There will be nothing to discuss.  One of the best players in fantasy baseball.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 5:09 AM, MSkibisky said:

Right now, yes. But going into next year is what I was referring to. It's easy to say he is top 10 right now.... because he is lol. It's tougher to say where he will rank going into 2020 was my point.

It's not that tough

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 8:28 AM, jfazz23 said:

100% taking him before any pitcher, and easily taking him ahead of Baez. I wouldn't even put Baez in the same discussion as the other guys to be honest. Probably Devers over Betts as well because I think Devers' power upside more than makes up for the SB advantage Betts will have. I don't have a problem taking him ahead of Freeman and he's pretttty close to Arenado for me as well.

So I'd say he's easily inside the top 10. I think he also has the easiest path to reaching a higher ceiling, just do to 1) his age + relative lack of MLB experience compared to those other guys, and 2) he's still hitting a LOT of ground balls for a guy having such a monster season (only a 33% FB rate) and hitting more balls in the air is something that would immediately boost his HR/SLG/power. He no doubt has the raw power and contact skills to be a perennial 40 HR hitter - it's just a matter of getting more balls elevated.

• Like 3

This guy is insane. Only player on my team that shows up every week. Most players get hot and cold. He’s been on fire for 3 straight months. If Trout wasn’t in the AL this would be your MVP. 

• Like 1