bradwatson

Tyler Glasnow 2019 Outlook

Underlying metrics suggest he was better in the second half than his final numbers dictate. Tremendous upside and a breakout candidate for me this year.

• Like 3

^^^

Lots of folks are keeping a close eye on Glasnow. He's let a lot of owners down, but there a few who were patient enough to not drop him in Dynasty/Keeper  Leagues.

• Like 2

Future ace, he will take off this year if he can keep the ball in the park in a tough division. Other than that he's going to have an elite k/9 and awesome WHIP. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

Future ace, he will take off this year if he can keep the ball in the park in a tough division. Other than that he's going to have an elite k/9 and awesome WHIP. 

Awesome WHIP will be tough if he continues walking 4.5 per 9. K rate is on point though. Great sleeper.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Awesome WHIP will be tough if he continues walking 4.5 per 9. K rate is on point though. Great sleeper.

I also think he hasn't fixed his control issues, he's better but will never be an elite guy when it comes to WHIP, which leads to multiple run innings.

I see alot of similarities with him and what Snell had potential to be at the beginning of last year... and look how that turned out. Elite stuff, high K rate, too high of a BB rate which is a fixable issue.. Snell got his stuff under control and the rest is history. Not saying Glasnow will become this year's Snell, but the pros and cons sure do mirror eachother. Potential is there. Definitely hoping to take a flier on him in redraft leagues. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2019 at 9:37 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

He did improve his walk percentage immensely once he became a starter. Still not great but he had a 1.10 WHIP as a starter. 

Workload concerns me as he only threw 111 innings last year, Rays surely won't allow him to pass much more than 150 IP. There's also the opener situation which could destroy him in QS leagues. At this point I'll let someone else who's high on him take him.

19 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

He did improve his walk percentage immensely once he became a starter. Still not great but he had a 1.10 WHIP as a starter. 

Workload concerns me as he only threw 111 innings last year, Rays surely won't allow him to pass much more than 150 IP. There's also the opener situation which could destroy him in QS leagues. At this point I'll let someone else who's high on him take him.

What his walk rate as a reliever vs starter? 

5 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

What his walk rate as a reliever vs starter? 

Reliever: 56 IP, 34 BB (5.5 BB/9)

Starter: 55.2 IP, 19 BB (3.1 BB/9)

Still not great but marked improvement. With his stuff he can live with a BB/9 around 3.

• Thanks 1

The velo means next to nothing at this point imo. That's never been the issue for him anyway. It's all about the command, and that seemed to make strides--at least marginally. I feel like there's gonna be egg on the Pirates face for selling low on him. I have zero faith in how Pit develops and esp handles there pitching anymore. I know their pitching coach was lauded once upon a time, but there are far too many examples of them underachieving or messing up guys recently. I own exactly zero shares of Glasnow in keepers, but kinda wish I did.

• Like 1

Better roto option than H2H as when he blows up, it is spectacular and will cost you the week's match-up. I LOVE him in TB org, but I HATE he's in the AL East - Yank and Boston are killers now, Toronto is coming back strong soon.  Man, it's a conundrum.

Also - I never knew he was this athletic -

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/1095057472426070021 

Edited by Baseball Jonze

20 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

The velo means next to nothing at this point imo. That's never been the issue for him anyway. It's all about the command, and that seemed to make strides--at least marginally. I feel like there's gonna be egg on the Pirates face for selling low on him. I have zero faith in how Pit develops and esp handles there pitching anymore. I know their pitching coach was lauded once upon a time, but there are far too many examples of them underachieving or messing up guys recently. I own exactly zero shares of Glasnow in keepers, but kinda wish I did.

Yup. Really wish I did. 

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Agreed, except it seems like Taillon finally took that next step to becoming a legit team ace last season.  Otherwise I agree with you completely on everything, including the Pirates.

I'm not going to go all crazy about Glasnow, as he's burned me multiple times already and the velocity is meaningless, but he's definitely another on my list (along with guys like Josh James) that I would be thrilled to have at the backend of my fantasy keeper league "rotation".

Edited by KilloWertz

17 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Agreed, except it seems like Taillon finally took that next step to becoming a legit team ace last season.  Otherwise I agree with you completely on everything, including the Pirates.

I'm not going to go all crazy about Glasnow, as he's burned me multiple times already and the velocity is meaningless, but he's definitely another on my list (along with guys like Josh James) that I would be thrilled to have at the backend of my fantasy keeper league "rotation".

can glasnow be this year gerrit cole?

the article also said he quickened his delivery to help control the run game and that is causing him to throw more strikes, food for thought

but im buying where i can, his upside coupled with TB pitching coaches give him niiiiiice potential

7 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

can glasnow be this year gerrit cole?

I think that might be stretching it a bit.  Cole, while struggling for a year or so prior to last season, had some prolonged success.  Obviously nobody saw what he did last year coming (I doubt even Cole himself), but it was less of a leap than if Glasnow did anything close to that.

I think the most reasonable expectation/hope would be him finally getting his control, well, under control.  I would say the sky is the limit then, but not having a third pitch may still hold him back some.  Still, with good control, he would still be very interesting.

• Like 1

Starting today against the Yankees. On MLB Network for anyone interested.

His windup has a very long delay, looks completely different from last year.

49 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Starting today against the Yankees. On MLB Network for anyone interested.

His windup has a very long delay, looks completely different from last year.

No radar gun but I saw a rays reporter on twitter saying he topped out at 98. He looked really good to me. I’m almost happy he let up 2 runs. Hopefully people who didn’t watch realize how good he looked. Fastball was lively, curveball looked good, and above all else, that pause in his windup has seemed to help his control. He was living around the zone, 

I will say he’s had 2 WP, one was a sharper curveball in the dirt that maybe could have been stopped. Another was a bad curveball in the dirt that he spiked.

im all in on Glasnow this year.

• Like 1

Let's see if it lasts.

As we all know, spring training games and regular season are two different animals.

The delivery stuff he's adding in seems gimmicky to me for a guy with all the tools.  Just pitch man.  The wind-up bounce pause, the regular delivery, the quick step - all to potentially confuse hitters with more variety when the biggest knock on Glasnow has been his own mechanical consistency/repeatability given his height.  Now he's throwing in wrinkles to "fool" the batter - hope he does't fool himself.  

Edited by Baseball Jonze

He's always had problems holding base runners too - how did he do with men on base? Did he have same kind of pause when pitching from the stretch?

With that hitch, those walks and singles pretty much become doubles.

He's the type of pitcher that can throw a no-hitter, strike out 15+, and still lose the game because he walked 7 and gave up 5 runs.  He's definitely one of a kind.