bradwatson

Tyler Glasnow 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Basically turning into the right handed version of Blake Snell. Tampa just knows how to develop elite arms.

Edited by bigbluecrew56

Posted (edited)

As a Glasnow owner (have been for years in my dynasty league) he’s got a ton of raw talent. But I cant even begin to mention his name in the likes of randy Johnson, Pedro.  I want to see at least 1 more start before I could put him on the level of those guys(sarcam)

Edited by Baseball Or Bust
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Not going to defend the trade because it was awful (everyone knew it at the time of the trade).  However, the Pirates did give Glasnow opportunities and he failed miserably.  Were they patient enough?  Apparently not.  Did they mismanage his development?  Possibly.

But his failures seemed to be due to things going on between the ears.  Some guys just need a change of scenery to figure it out.  He had Nolan Ryan type talent and now we're seeing it come to fruition.  Yay for Tampa!

When I read change of scenery I read change of coaches.  

34 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

Glasnow was 24 at the time of the trade, that is way way waaaay too early to give up on a prospect with his upside. Randy Johnson is the most dominant pitcher I've had the pleasure of ever seeing (Pedro is up there, too) and Glasnow is similar to him in a lot of ways. Super tall, lanky, trouble with is release point, but just incredible pure stuff. Except unlike Johnson, his wipeout pitch is a curve instead of a slider.  Also like Johnson, he really needs only two pitches to dominate.

You just don't give up on players like that this early. His upside was entirely too high and too good to just give him away. Randy didn't come into his own until he was nearly 30. Between Snell and Glasnow, Tampa has their dominating 1-2 punch of the future for years to come.

In all fairness, Randy Johnson has a legendary slider.  Glasnow's curve is not in that league at this time, but it has plus potential and a nice vertical drop for a faster curve.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

As a Glasnow owner (have been for years in my dynasty league) he’s got a ton of raw talent. But I cant even begin to mention his name in the likes of randy Johnson, Pedro.  I want to see at least 1 more start before I could put him on the level of those guys(sarcam)

The Johnson comparison is mostly due to his height and taller pitchers needing to be more precise with their movements.

1 minute ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

I think the Randy Johnson comp is talking about how similar they are in terms of style. Two tall, lanky guys with great stuff and both rely largely on just two pitches. Granted Glasnow has a curve and Johnson went with a slider, but stylistically they're very similar. Obviously Glasnow would have a long way to go to show he's even nearly as great as Johnson was, but I don't think that was the point of the comp.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

When I read change of scenery I read change of coaches.  

Well that very well could be it but it wasn’t too long ago when these very same Pirates coaches were considered pitching gurus for turning around the careers of guys like Liriano and Burnett.

1 hour ago, killa3312 said:

Glasnow was 24 at the time of the trade, that is way way waaaay too early to give up on a prospect with his upside. Randy Johnson is the most dominant pitcher I've had the pleasure of ever seeing (Pedro is up there, too) and Glasnow is similar to him in a lot of ways. Super tall, lanky, trouble with is release point, but just incredible pure stuff. Except unlike Johnson, his wipeout pitch is a curve instead of a slider.  Also like Johnson, he really needs only two pitches to dominate.

You just don't give up on players like that this early. His upside was entirely too high and too good to just give him away. Randy didn't come into his own until he was nearly 30. Between Snell and Glasnow, Tampa has their dominating 1-2 punch of the future for years to come.

Of course they gave up way too early.  I’m completely sick to my stomach as a Pirates fan and was at the time of the trade. The type of trade that should cost the GM his job (but it won’t because the owner doesn’t give a crap about winning anyways).

1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Not going to defend the trade because it was awful (everyone knew it at the time of the trade).  However, the Pirates did give Glasnow opportunities and he failed miserably.  Were they patient enough?  Apparently not.  Did they mismanage his development?  Possibly.

But his failures seemed to be due to things going on between the ears.  Some guys just need a change of scenery to figure it out.  He had Nolan Ryan type talent and now we're seeing it come to fruition.  Yay for Tampa!

Remember reading somewhere that the TB pitching coach is also very tall (Glasnow is 6' 8") and would be better able to help him repeat his delivery just by the experience he had had. 

I remember reading when he was on the verge of being called up that Glasnow would just take more time to develop because of his height. Seems like the Pirates just gave up too early. 

But man can the Rays get a Moneyball movie. Out here fleecing everyone. 

Stole Pham.

Stole Yandy. 

Stole Meadows AND Glasnow. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Well that very well could be it but it wasn’t too long ago when these very same Pirates coaches were considered pitching gurus for turning around the careers of guys like Liriano and Burnett.

Sure, but while sinkers/pitching to contact and the shift fixed Liriano and Burnett that's what drove Cole out of town.  They couldn't get his full potential out of him, Glasnow, and even Morton to an extent.  

You don't have a pitcher as talented as Cole "pitch to contact."  God knows what kind of nonsense they were trying with Glasnow.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Sure, but while sinkers/pitching to contact and the shift fixed Liriano and Burnett that's what drove Cole out of town.  They couldn't get his full potential out of him, Glasnow, and even Morton to an extent.  

You don't have a pitcher as talented as Cole "pitch to contact."  God knows what kind of nonsense they were trying with Glasnow.

Yeah, they were preaching pitch to contact despite the whole league shifting to the strikeout. The difference is night and day with Glasnow and Cole anyways. High fastballs and devastating secondary stuff. I like what I see out of Musgrove, I hope they don't ruin him 

Edited by wallach17

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

This is what I have read & what I believe. Ray Searage is a big believer in fastball heavy approach & pitching to contact. It's revitalized a couple veteran careers to some success but developing young talent has been quite a different story. It would explain why Glasnow was so dominant every time he'd go back to AAA and then struggle again the few times they did call him up. 

It really feels like TB has freed him to just pitch or something. Whatever it is, I will be glad to have him as a RP-eligible SP for as long as possible. 

Edited by wayzupusc
  • Like 1

Yeah my point was not to say he is the right handed Randy Johnson, just that the Pirates gave up on him completely too early because they have a dumb organizational wide approach and didn’t know how to harness Cole and Glasnow’s ability. 6’8 pitchers who can touch 100 mph with movement and a plus plus devastating curveball don’t grow on trees. Glasnow has a combination of frame + raw stuff that comes around maybe once every 10 years and the Pirates gave up on him before his 25th birthday.

This guy could win multiple and multiple Cy Young’s if he reaches his potential, his ceiling is that high.

• Like 1

Really? I had to go back 5 days to find this thread? 

I watched a little bit of this game and he was locating his fastball pretty well. Had a couple nasty curves that buckled some hitters but I noticed the Orioles were attacking him on first pitch a lot. The announcers mentioned that has been a huge part of his success this year throwing first pitch strikes at a drastically higher percentage than he has before. I think he broke at least 3 bats but the Orioles were squaring him up pretty good, just hitting it right at people. Hope he can continue his success and start mixing up his first pitch sequencing to keep hitters guessing.

5 minutes ago, bjvance5 said:

Really? I had to go back 5 days to find this thread

• Thanks 1

wide array of outcomes ROS for this guy, but at worst will still belong on rosters with the upside obv there haha

Couple tough matchups coming up. He's facing the Red Sox today at home and will face them again at Fenway on 4/27. Let's see what he's made of.

I benched him so I'm not upset about the lack of QS, but they need to stop babying him.  Pulled in the 6th after like 75 pitches.

Another great start for Glasnow. This isn't just a hot streak, he's legitimately breaking out. If he can develop that changeup a little bit more, the sky's the limit. 

• Like 3