SuperJoint

Stephen Strasburg 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Surprised there's not a thread yet. He is going very low (5th-6th rd) in mocks. Even at that price I'm inclined to steer clear but could be persuaded otherwise. He has been frustrating to own.

Bump, very interesting player this year. Going for $20 in Yahoo auctions. Obviously there's room for profit there, but also after many injury-riddled seasons, it could be another disaster. 

Mid to low 3 ERA. Pretty good 1.10 WHIP. 20-25 starts. A few skipped starts. 1-2 DL trips. A handful of blurbs on Rotoworld that'll scare the hell out of you. And one giant headache to own. One of these years though he'll be healthy and provide a monster season. I'll still pass. 

The injury risk/certainty is already baked into his ADP/$.  If he was a lock to go 200 innings, he'd be going in the 2nd or 3rd round with the rest of the aces.  

I always marvel at the end of each season how he has nice-looking numbers, yet I spent the entire season wishing he wasn't on my team. There is a headache factor that has to be baked in at this point.

• Like 1

He'll be an interesting name on draft tables. Velocity was down a tick last year and, of course, there's always the DL stint waiting to happen. That said, he could slide to the point where he's a bargain. Frankly, I don't ever see 200 IP out of him. As long as you're drafting him as your No. 2 or your lucky enough to land him as a No. 3, you've done well. Just don't anchor your staff with him. Too many question marks. All told, I'd wait and see where his velocity is in spring, though many pitchers have a lower velocity in spring, so that may not be an accurate measure.

11 hours ago, checkers said:

is this guy healthy to start the season?

Yep! 77 pitches and 6Ks against the spring training Astros with Bregman and Reddick in the lineup.

According to Brooks website, Stras was throwing his avg FB at 93 mph in August & September last year.  Any concerns?

Anyone that owned Stras last year won't be drafting him this year. He's obviously pretty good while he's healthy but not worth the headache of the constant trips to the D.L.

5 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

Anyone that owned Stras last year won't be drafting him this year. He's obviously pretty good while he's healthy but not worth the headache of the constant trips to the D.L.

Sure, but that risk is now baked into his ADP. At his current price, he is worth the risk of those headaches, with the obvious upside of him finally putting in a healthy season and posting good numbers. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dicka24 said:

According to Brooks website, Stras was throwing his avg FB at 93 mph in August & September last year.  Any concerns?

I was at the game yesterday. His fastball was mostly hovering around 92 on the stadium board. Still has elite offspeed K stuff but he's liable to get touched up more often with that fastball. 

10 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

I was at the game yesterday. His fastball was mostly hovering around 92 on the stadium board. Still has elite offspeed K stuff but he's liable to get touched up more often with that fastball. 

It is spring training.  Vet pitchers don't ramp up all the way in spring training games these days so we don't know what his real velocity is.

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It is spring training.  Vet pitchers don't ramp up all the way in spring training games these days so we don't know what his real velocity is.

He has hit 95 a few times this spring to his credit. I think i saw one vs Houston on a max effort last out pitch. I still think 93 average looks pretty solid. 

• Like 1

Finally a price that allow for 5 missed starts and a 3.7 ERA but with upside, I am on board no doubt

Well that was pathetic!!

As soon as he put 3 men on, they should have taken him out. Didn't the Nationals realize I had the QS.
Strikeouts are there.   the line could have looked great if not for the HBP

Surprised there's been so few comments about Strasburg here.

6 hours ago, tesla said:

Surprised there's been so few comments about Strasburg here.

I feel like this comment gets made once a year so I'll make my yearly response.

Strasburg pitching well: crickets

Strasburg gets injured: HE IS THE MOST OVERRATED PLAYER OF ALL TIME AND A MENTAL MIDGET

Meanwhile (after last game)

• Like 2

Was cruising until the 7th. Probably should have gotten the hook a batter or two before he did. Frustrating, but final stat line didn't tell the whole story. Looked pretty good out there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had a feeling too. I looked at my score and he had 6 shutout innings.  Then I looked a little bit later and he had 6.2 and 4er, with 11 K's tho. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

1 hour ago, brooklynfinest42 said:

top 10 starter right now

Surprised your's was the first post in almost two months given how good he's done, and the fact that he's actually stayed healthy for a change.

Stephen CYborg should really be getting talked up for some Cy Young love... not that he will win it, but he should be in the conversation. He is on such a dominant run right now... W in 10 of last 11 starts, now MLB leader in Ws. All of his advanced stats (except FIP is .003 worse) are better than career average. We braved quite a bit of risk drafting him, but so far he is rewarding owners. He'll continue to be a good target, as the inj risk slightly shies away more conservative owners, offering some upside.

• Like 1