SuperJoint

Stephen Strasburg 2019 Outlook

Surprised there's not a thread yet. He is going very low (5th-6th rd) in mocks. Even at that price I'm inclined to steer clear but could be persuaded otherwise. He has been frustrating to own.

Bump, very interesting player this year. Going for $20 in Yahoo auctions. Obviously there's room for profit there, but also after many injury-riddled seasons, it could be another disaster. 

Mid to low 3 ERA. Pretty good 1.10 WHIP. 20-25 starts. A few skipped starts. 1-2 DL trips. A handful of blurbs on Rotoworld that'll scare the hell out of you. And one giant headache to own. One of these years though he'll be healthy and provide a monster season. I'll still pass. 

The injury risk/certainty is already baked into his ADP/$.  If he was a lock to go 200 innings, he'd be going in the 2nd or 3rd round with the rest of the aces.  

I always marvel at the end of each season how he has nice-looking numbers, yet I spent the entire season wishing he wasn't on my team. There is a headache factor that has to be baked in at this point.

• Like 1

He'll be an interesting name on draft tables. Velocity was down a tick last year and, of course, there's always the DL stint waiting to happen. That said, he could slide to the point where he's a bargain. Frankly, I don't ever see 200 IP out of him. As long as you're drafting him as your No. 2 or your lucky enough to land him as a No. 3, you've done well. Just don't anchor your staff with him. Too many question marks. All told, I'd wait and see where his velocity is in spring, though many pitchers have a lower velocity in spring, so that may not be an accurate measure.

11 hours ago, checkers said:

is this guy healthy to start the season?

Yep! 77 pitches and 6Ks against the spring training Astros with Bregman and Reddick in the lineup.

Anyone that owned Stras last year won't be drafting him this year. He's obviously pretty good while he's healthy but not worth the headache of the constant trips to the D.L.

5 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

Anyone that owned Stras last year won't be drafting him this year. He's obviously pretty good while he's healthy but not worth the headache of the constant trips to the D.L.

Sure, but that risk is now baked into his ADP. At his current price, he is worth the risk of those headaches, with the obvious upside of him finally putting in a healthy season and posting good numbers. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dicka24 said:

According to Brooks website, Stras was throwing his avg FB at 93 mph in August & September last year.  Any concerns?

I was at the game yesterday. His fastball was mostly hovering around 92 on the stadium board. Still has elite offspeed K stuff but he's liable to get touched up more often with that fastball. 

10 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

I was at the game yesterday. His fastball was mostly hovering around 92 on the stadium board. Still has elite offspeed K stuff but he's liable to get touched up more often with that fastball. 

It is spring training.  Vet pitchers don't ramp up all the way in spring training games these days so we don't know what his real velocity is.

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It is spring training.  Vet pitchers don't ramp up all the way in spring training games these days so we don't know what his real velocity is.

He has hit 95 a few times this spring to his credit. I think i saw one vs Houston on a max effort last out pitch. I still think 93 average looks pretty solid. 

• Like 1