SuperJoint

Stephen Strasburg 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

No, I think we should exit this post until the seasons over! When the thread is dead... Means the player's doing great... So let's just enjoy his first healthy and productive year! 🤣🤣🤣

27 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Surprised your's was the first post in almost two months given how good he's done, and the fact that he's actually stayed healthy for a change.

Especially after his fantastic July. 5 starts 5 W 4 QS 31 2/3 IP 44 K 1.14 ERA (4 earned, 3 starts with 0 earned) 0.92 whip (22 hits 7 bb) also 0 homeruns for the whole month. I’m guessing he was a top 3 pitcher for the month in pretty much every league. 

• Like 1

This is why I try to draft him every year. His draft status falls because of his injury proneness. So I pounce hoping to get 150+ innings and just hope he's healthy for the fantasy playoffs. The guy is filthy. He has 4 pitches that he could throw in any count to keep hitters off balance. The velocity isn't what it once was, but he's now a smart pitcher, with still above average velocity.

• Like 1

Outside shot of Cy Young if he keeps this up.  With Max missing time he could sneak in.  Should win 20 games.  Ryu might have something to say but as of now Stephen probably definitely top 3 in voting.  

• Like 1

BP pissed away his shot at a W today.

Great season by Strasburg. About to get his 18th win, 251 Ks 3.32 ERA 1.038 WHIP. He's a guy that fell to being a #2 starter in most redraft leagues and we very much a #1 this year.  209 Innings, good for being just shy of his career most.  He gets hurt some years, but always pitches pretty damn well. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Great season by Strasburg. About to get his 18th win, 251 Ks 3.32 ERA 1.038 WHIP. He's a guy that fell to being a #2 starter in most redraft leagues and we very much a #1 this year.  209 Innings, good for being just shy of his career most.  He gets hurt some years, but always pitches pretty damn well. 

He always falls in drafts cause of his injury history. I usually take him knowing the risk. And I don’t blink once about it because even if he only throws 150 innings, you know those innings are going to be border line elite. You just hope he’s healthy at the end of the year during fantasy playoffs.

Was a pleasure to own him this season. I doubt I'll be back on him next season with a slightly inflated ADP but we shall see.

15 minutes ago, buzzkilloton said:

Was a pleasure to own him this season. I doubt I'll be back on him next season with a slightly inflated ADP but we shall see.

Same... not interested if his ADP is super inflated. Give me someone like Snell who should fall.

Happy he finally pulled off a great season along with a legendary postseason. 

Some great posts like these in many of his old threads.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Image result for laugh gif

hes gonna opt out.  where is he going?  and for how long/much?  he might get 6 years 180 mil.  i wouldnt pay him but that seems what the market will

Edited by jfazz23

Free agency isn't what it once was. He should not get more than what he has left on his current contract. Going into his age-31 season, and is arguably the most injury-prone pitcher in baseball. No way I sign him for more than $100M/5 years.

Of course, all it takes is 1 GM. 

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Mevins proclaimed he’d never amount to anything?? 
spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jspeco9 said:

Free agency isn't what it once was. He should not get more than what he has left on his current contract. Going into his age-31 season, and is arguably the most injury-prone pitcher in baseball. No way I sign him for more than $100M/5 years.

Of course, all it takes is 1 GM. 

The Nationals just won a championship after signing 3 SPs to contracts that fans all criticized as "overpaid".

Anyone making the point he's the most injury prone pitcher is making a bad one.

Over 1 GM will pay that, I think he signs 150 >.  If these playoffs taught us anything, Ace level pitchers are the most valuable asset (not that some teams and people didn't already know that). Obviously you want to pay as little as possible for any great asset, but Aces are the hardest to replace. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

The Nationals just won a championship after signing 3 SPs to contracts that fans all criticized as "overpaid".

Anyone making the point he's the most injury prone pitcher is making a bad one.

Over 1 GM will pay that, I think he signs 150 >.  If these playoffs taught us anything, Ace level pitchers are the most valuable asset (not that some teams and people didn't already know that). Obviously you want to pay as little as possible for any great asset, but Aces are the hardest to replace. 

corbin just got a 6 year deal.  i know hes 2 years younger...but you have to assume stras gets 5/150 or even 6/180....maybe the 6th is an option

7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

corbin just got a 6 year deal.  i know hes 2 years younger...but you have to assume stras gets 5/150 or even 6/180....maybe the 6th is an option

Did he make a decision yet? 

1 hour ago, MSkibisky said:

havent heard. but his agent is Boras.  so yes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

havent heard. but his agent is Boras.  so yes

It would be a major shocker if he did not opt out.  His value has never been higher and likely never will be.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

I wonder if they will wait until the last minute, to see just how many extra years/dollars they can wrangle out of the Nats before deciding.

The Nats saved all that Bryce Harper money so they can afford to pay this guy.  He has a player option he can exercise for 4 years 100 million so you'd really have to up that quite a bit to make him stay.  I think 150 million would be the minimum.  But then again Strasburg's injury prone history may be used against him here?  

19 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

Patrick Corbin is actually 1 day shy of being a full year younger than Strasburg.  But they were actually in the same graduating class and got drafted in the same year.  Starsburg being on the older end and Corbin being on the younger end.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

What I heard was three days after the WS ends he has to inform the Nats of his decision. The broadcast could have been wrong though.  Would be a major surprise if he didn't though. Rendon, in response to the Nats saving the Harper money, will take the majority of that. Rendon should get close to Arenado money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Low and Away said:

What I heard was three days after the WS ends he has to inform the Nats of his decision. The broadcast could have been wrong though.  Would be a major surprise if he didn't though. Rendon, in response to the Nats saving the Harper money, will take the majority of that. Rendon should get close to Arenado money.

Dang that seems so soon... Let a guy enjoy it a little before having to decide on that player option.

4 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Dang that seems so soon... Let a guy enjoy it a little before having to decide on that player option.

Apparently he has to decide just hours before the parade. Easy opt out. But maybe he comes back to Washington at a home town discount 

8 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Apparently he has to decide just hours before the parade. Easy opt out. But maybe he comes back to Washington at a home town discount 

Wow dang.  Players who make it to the World Series should get an extension on these things.  But yeah he should be looking at 150 million on this next contract.  But now he has to seem like a jerk turning it down right before the parade.

• Like 1