Flyman75

Jesse Winker 2019 Outlook

7 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Maybe he just sucks? 0 for 11 in games he's started so far. Yes it's early. Yes I'm losing patience. How long is everyone holding him for? 

I'm holding....for now. Maybe until Senzel comes, and probably to eliminate the "shoulder isn't ready" excuse. l loved him before the season started and was happy to get him.  One bad week shouldn't change that.

3 hours ago, Donniebaseball23 said:

Kemp to the Indians seems so obvious

except for the 20 million of course

How about the Angels? That screams obvious to me.  I'd be happy to iron out the details for them.

I can't blame you guys for not watching Reds games but he's had some bad luck so far. Just today he had a 103 mph lineout and a 95 mph fly out to the track, 370 feet. It'll come. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Maybe he just sucks? 0 for 11 in games he's started so far. Yes it's early. Yes I'm losing patience. How long is everyone holding him for? 

Seriously? Drawing that conclusion after ELEVEN scattered ABs as a part time player?

Hahaha.

Problem with so many of these "managers" and many fans is the lack of patience. More coaches should be like the Braves coach Snitker who acknowledges that his young players are talented yet inconsistent, but you have to let them play. It's funny bc so many of these horrible managers that yank young players around are on terrible teams so the pressure to perform isn't nearly as high. The Reds, the Twins with their handling Astudillo are just a few recent examples. It's strange that we all see it but for whatever reason, these managers think they are smarter than common sense. Jesse Winker is one of the Reds 3 best OFs and there is zero logical debate otherwise. Zero.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, erik vulaj said:

No power on top of shoulder surgery - cut 

Wasnt the same thing said about Conforto last season? Anyways nobody should have drafted Winkler for power.

In an obp league I don't think he's a consideration to be cut. In standard leagues, he's definitely on the chopping block if another option on the ww catches my eye.

8 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Wasnt the same thing said about Conforto last season? Anyways nobody should have drafted Winkler for power.

What are people expecting stats wise? 

5 hours ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

What are people expecting stats wise? 

If healthy and getting a full season of ABs at the top of the CIN lineup: .300/.400 - 20 - 75 - 90+.

• Like 1

wow just a few games in and people have him on the chop block?  

I'll be waiting to pounce....

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

According to this tweet he is the most unlucky hitter so far, should be hitting (you guessed it) .291. Patience, my friends.

This should be all anyone needs to calm down and realize it’s been 5 games and he’s just fine

oh and he’s leading off again today, the whole team is hitting like s--- so he’s not going anywhere

Edited by BackyardBaseball
  • Like 1

Just now, BackyardBaseball said:

This should be all anyone needs to calm down and realize it’s been 5 games and he’s just fine

It hasn't even been a full 5 games either. He has been jerked back and forth alternating starting and being on the bench. The Reds manager is a dummy. #letthekidsplay

Agreed. The beginning is just frustrating because everyone wants to get off to a hot start and see what they have. If he goes 4/4 today then all of the sudden everything is fine in the world. One game can change a lot this early. Talent wins out. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

Does this guy run? 

No but he walks. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, dod959 said:

No but he walks. 

So no power, no steals but great avg and obp? All I hear people touting is his on base skills. Just trying to figure out if he's a one category guy just good for obp leagues? 

Just now, Minnesota_Jack said:

So no power, no steals but great avg and obp? All I hear people touting is his on base skills. Just trying to figure out if he's a one category guy just good for obp leagues? 

In standard +BA, -SB, Average HR and +R/RBI due to being in a small park and theoretically good lineup.

The tricky part is not knowing how the R/RBI is split because it is all dependent on how he is utilized in the batting order.

3 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

According to this tweet he is the most unlucky hitter so far, should be hitting (you guessed it) .291. Patience, my friends.

Can someone post this in the Franmil thread too? Jeeez.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And playing time. All I hear is that the team is horrible and crowded so playing time is unsure. So how many at bats are we expecting for counting stats? 

28 minutes ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

And playing time. All I hear is that the team is horrible and crowded so playing time is unsure. So how many at bats are we expecting for counting stats? 

This was my issue (and why I ended up dropping him). Love his hit profile and think he will end up with a good stat line over the full season, but if he's sitting several times a week (which seems likely given the Reds' outfield situation), it reduces his value pretty substantially.

It's been really cold in Cincy this week.  Winker and the rest of the team will start hitting once the weather warms up.  The offense got off to a bad start last year too and then got hot and tore it up for the rest of the year.

10 minutes ago, jackg1162 said:

It's been really cold in Cincy this week.  Winker and the rest of the team will start hitting once the weather warms up.  The offense got off to a bad start last year too and then got hot and tore it up for the rest of the year.

He'll obviously start hitting and most likely have a decent average. I'm just wondering what people are realistically expecting for other stats considering.. 

Low power 

Doesn't run

Shoulder surgery 

Bad lineup 

Playing time issues 

What is this guy's upside besides on base percentage?