Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

Universal DH thread

19 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Barry Sanders just juked 3 guys out of their jockstraps, broke 2 tackles and was pushed out of bounds at the 1 yard line.

Announcer "Sanders is coming to the sideline and the Lions FB is coming in" .... Lions FB scores.   

Absolutely nobody wanted to watch the Lions FB score from the 1 yard line ... unless you were playing against Barry that week.

I kinda missed the point on this one. Lions put in an FB because they believe Sanders might be tired and want to save some ware on him.  I'd also argue from from a fans perspective, a run on the one yard line is generally the same regardless of who's doing it. Unless Barry was going to do a crazy flip, I don't really care outside of fantasy who runs it in from the 1.

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I kinda missed the point on this one. Lions put in an FB because they believe Sanders might be tired and want to save some ware on him.  I'd also argue from from a fans perspective, a run on the one yard line is generally the same regardless of who's doing it. Unless Barry was going to do a crazy flip, I don't really care outside of fantasy who runs it in from the 1.

I wanted Walter to get the TD in SB20, not the Fridge. ;)

Not sure the point on that one either, I guess if there was a rule that the starting RB can't come out of the game when on offensive plays in the NFC (or if they do they are out of the game altogether), but in the AFC said RB can come out of the game for a FB to come in. But that just further proves that DH is the way to go. :D

12 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

guess you missed the grip of extra inn game where everyone just swung for the fences in every situation. it was so bad, unwatchable, and it happened for and extra 5 inn or more. 

as opposed to watching pitchers try to hit? or....what do you mean...

• Like 1

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

as opposed to watching pitchers try to hit? or....what do you mean...

just pointing out that baseball in general is less entertaining and in trending in the wrong direction imo

understand trying to protect players a little but no breaking up double plays is trash. rather see a baserunner go in hard  and try and help his team win a close game than most hrs. 

The AL has such a huge advantage in the playoffs that it has to change. The micro managing argument is no longer valid as most teams are built so bullpen heavy it doesn’t matter

i was against it forever but once interleague started it’s obvious now it needs to be universal 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

guess you missed the grip of extra inn game where everyone just swung for the fences in every situation. it was so bad, unwatchable, and it happened for and extra 5 inn or more. 

Hitting is hard.  Pitchers are good.  

At the speeds these guys see,  if you aren't swinging at max bat speed (swinging for those fences), you're simply making the hard even harder.  Kind of like what pitchers look like while hitting lol.  

I'll never understand why some people adamantly refuse to understand that power doesn't have to equal K issues.  And regardless,  because one game we had 5 innings of so called boring baseball,  is not a basis for any conclusions about anything.  Talk about sss.  And i fail to see how a pitcher and/or a weak bench bat hitter would've solved your 5 inning boredom dilemma.  

2 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Hitting is hard.  Pitchers are good.  

At the speeds these guys see,  if you aren't swinging at max bat speed (swinging for those fences), you're simply making the hard even harder.  Kind of like what pitchers look like while hitting lol.  

I'll never understand why some people adamantly refuse to understand that power doesn't have to equal K issues.  And regardless,  because one game we had 5 innings of so called boring baseball,  is not a basis for any conclusions about anything.  Talk about sss.  And i fail to see how a pitcher and/or a weak bench bat hitter would've solved your 5 inning boredom dilemma.  

yikes. tell that to every non power hitter or 2 strike approach. you think Rizzo 2 strike approach has the same power and bat speed? 

don't know where this is coming from but this had/has nothing to do with anything I said

my point is dh in nl will not solve anything. even when you have 9 hitters in AL there are plenty of crap games. 

Edited by colepenhagen

Just read that this isn’t likely until the 2022 season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

15 hours ago, ToO_BaD said:

Just read that this isn’t likely until the 2022 season.

Heard that last night as well, kind of disappointing.  There was no way in fairness that it could of gone in for this season, but 2020.  

• Like 2

Like I said about baseball.  Slow as molasses.  2022 is ridiculous.  No wonder baseball keeps hemorrhaging fans.  Bunch of old fuddy duddys run the sport.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2019 at 12:18 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Yes, baseball is best played as a strategic game by managers rather than just having the best players on the field.  It's the same reason why Chess draws amazing ratings compared to the NFL/Basketball.

I rather watch Jose Martinez hit than Adam Wainwright.  I understand there's a more strategic component to the NL lineups then AL lineups currently, I reject the notion that it's better for baseball. 

So why not have all the players decoupled. Pick nine of the best fielders and then pick the nice best hitters who may or may not be the same players. That’s your argument and in my opinion it’s conpetely stupid.  Hitting and fielding are BOTH parts of the game. If you want to excuse the pitcher why not excuse Rey Ordonez etc 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 4:19 AM, jspeco9 said:

There's no such thing as "AL fan" or "NL fan." We are all "MLB fans."

P.s: I really wish this thead would have been opened with a poll.

Please don’t tell me which version of the game I enjoy watching better. 

2 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

So why not have all the players decoupled. Pick nine of the best fielders and then pick the nice best hitters who may or may not be the same players. That’s your argument and in my opinion it’s conpetely stupid.  Hitting and fielding are BOTH parts of the game. If you want to excuse the pitcher why not excuse Rey Ordonez etc 

Because ALL pitchers hit poorly,  I guess with Ohtani being a new exception. They dont practice it enough, they get hurt hitting, and its taking away money from hitters. You're free to enjoy lousy hitters get ABs if thats what you enjoy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Because ALL pitchers hit poorly,  I guess with Ohtani being a new exception. They dont practice it enough, they get hurt hitting, and its taking away money from hitters. You're free to enjoy lousy hitters get ABs if thats what you enjoy. 

No im not free to enjoy it (which I do) because you and many others are insisting that ALL baseball has to be the way you prefer baseball. Leave the two leagues as they are so both types of fans can enjoy the version of the game they love 

7 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

No im not free to enjoy it (which I do) because you and many others are insisting that ALL baseball has to be the way you prefer baseball. Leave the two leagues as they are so both types of fans can enjoy the version of the game they love 

Well it's going to change it seems whether you like it or not.  It's not because of me posting on a message board either.

Maybe you should start another baseball league that can win fans over by pitchers hitting. Sounds like a successful enterprise if you ask me. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Well it's going to change it seems whether you like it or not.  It's not because of me posting on a message board either.

Maybe you should start another baseball league that can win fans over by pitchers hitting. Sounds like a successful enterprise if you ask me. 

Look through this thread: plenty of fans who view it the same as I do. None of us are pushing the AL to change their game. Only you guys pushing for us to change. It doesn’t help anything; doesn’t help pace of game. Just a desire to be selfish by fans and a desire for more money for the MLBPA

• Confused 1