Team Dynasty

Most Trusted Prospect Rankings

Most Trusted Prospect Rankings  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Which prospect ranking service do you trust the most?

• ESPN (Keith Law)
    • Baseball America
    • Baseball Prospectus
    • Fangraphs (Kiley & Eric)
    • Fake Teams
    • Dynasty Guru
    • Roto World
    • Roto Wire (James Anderson)
    • MLB Pipeline (Callis & Mayo)
    • Prospects 361
    • Fantasy Pros
    • Prospects 365 (Ray Butler)
    • Razzball
    • Prospects 1500
    • Prospects Live
    • In This League
    • Roster Resource
    • Fantrax (Eric Cross)
    • Imaginary Brick Wall
    • Pitcher List

Lots of great information out there, and that made it tough to pick just one. I definitely use a combination of a couple of those- Fangraphs, Prospects Live, Fantrax, and Pitcher List probably the most so. 

I definitely use a compilation of sites, but I tend to give lean in the direction of the fangraph rankings and projections.  Helped me thru two full rebuilds. 

Surprised mlb and rotoworld no votes? Razzball is puzzling?

Shhhhh about Prospects Live, you're costing me my 2024 deep dynasty titles!

No better top 30+ lists than Fangraphs and PL. For being the new website on the block the quality and quantity of content that they are putting out is astounding.

• Like 1

In terms of Market Value to the rest of my league mates, it appears to be an amalgamation of Fangraphs, Baseball Prospectus, Baseball America, and Keith Law. So those I think are the most important 4 for me, purely for market value.

Like anyone, my goal is to trade away players I think are ranked too highly within this market and acquire players unranked or underrated in my view within this market. 

• Like 2

From a fantasy perspective I really like imaginary brick wall,  Fantrax and Rotowire. Most of the others are basically for real life and you have to adjust.  @garlando does an amazing job at Pitcher's List as well, he's gotten me on to a lot of sleepers before they started making lists. I'd say both me and him were the highest on Peter Alonso coming into last year too!

• Like 7

My own rankings ... And everyone should trust their own the most, isn't that the point of fantasy?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anyone remember attheplate?   That was a site which would give daily minor league updates when it was difficult to find them.  I added so many prospects using that site in the early 2000's.  Now it's a sim league or something.  

For me, if it's a final/only type choice I go Klaw...we all use a number of these to kind of aggregate for our own ranks/needs...

I will say the daily thread at minorleagueball and it's awesome posters/community is gonna leave a void for me...that was invaluable

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

From a fantasy perspective I really like imaginary brick wall,  Fantrax and Rotowire. Most of the others are basically for real life and you have to adjust.  @garlando does an amazing job at Pitcher's List as well, he's gotten me on to a lot of sleepers before they started making lists. I'd say both me and him were the highest on Peter Alonso coming into last year too!

For hitting prospects I agree. Real life vs Fantasy is different

For pitching prospects. I honestly trust real life valuation over fantasy centric ones. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 3

Prospects365 has really been stepping up on the content lately.  

Plus... he was the first I saw who predicted Acuña Jr’s breakout.  👀

• Like 3

Heads up... Sickels is joining the Athletic. Looks like they’ve added a ton of fantasy content this year, more than just Eno. 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2019 at 8:34 AM, bjvance5 said:

Is there any other place that has message boards and/or an active cummunity like rotoworld?

It used to be the community/daily thread at minorleagueball dot com...but now:

2 minutes ago, jhonny74 said:

Heads up... Sickels is joining the Athletic. Looks like they’ve added a ton of fantasy content this year, more than just Eno. 

So that's basically done...such a shame, others have tried to get replicate his forum but I've found none that worked--at least in regards to daily line/info on minor leagues, etc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/8/2019 at 6:37 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

For me, if it's a final/only type choice I go Klaw...we all use a number of these to kind of aggregate for our own ranks/needs...

I will say the daily thread at minorleagueball and it's awesome posters/community is gonna leave a void for me...that was invaluable

I feel like Law gets a bad wrap around these parts.

Here is what I've found about Law that rubs people the wrong way, he will dislike certain prospects and stick to his guns on those guys, even if they continue to perform. He won't admit that he might be wrong about them.  I kind of ignore him on these guys and will look at other sites and reports when evaluating those players.  But fans of those clubs get absolutely pissed when "their guy" isn't in his top 100 and bash him over it.  I try to block that out for the most part because it isn't helpful.  The other thing with Law is that he rates defense much higher than most, so you have to account for that in his rankings.

Now, here is where I like Law:  I've found that when he is an outlier on guy and hyping him a ton when nobody else is, those guys tend to do very well and end up on everyone else's top 100 the following year.  He's really good at finding gems that nobody else is in on yet and that he feels strongly about.  I've found that he hits on those guys quite a bit and is better at that part then when he is discrediting a guy that he doesn't feel strongly about.  So, what I like to do with Law's stuff is try to see which 4-5 guys he has listed as huge outliers and has way up his list that aren't appearing on any other lists.  Usually you can find those guys as discounts in drafts because they aren't on other lists and then they tend to do very well.  So, an example of that would be Ke'Bryan Hayes.  A few years ago Law had him listed as a fringe guy that just missed his top 100.  Then the next year he was at 74, which was still higher than pretty much everyone else and I think his only top 100. This year he is on every top 100 list.  I could have had him as a last round pick in my draft two years ago and didn't take him and he went undrafted.  Wish I would have grabbed him when he was a fringe pick.  I remember Law really pushing Walker Beuhler hard a few years ago as well, even though he was out with TJ.  I drafted him in a league because of that.

I use pretty much everything I can find.  I really missed Sickels this year.  Not sure why SB Nation pulled the plug on him.

Edited by The Czar
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Who has the best dynasty startup rankings? Is there any site or doftware that does dynasty startup mock drafts?

Well I assume your favorite prospect sites.  They all rank the prospects.  See poll above.

• Like 1

Kiley and Eric with a bullet. Enjoy them while they last, because much like the rest of Fangraphs' staff they'll be snapped back up by MLB teams soon, I'm sure. 

2 hours ago, DoctorPayne said:

Kiley and Eric with a bullet. Enjoy them while they last, because much like the rest of Fangraphs' staff they'll be snapped back up by MLB teams soon, I'm sure. 

I agree, they are likely both not around for too much longer.  I really like both, but I don't feel they are heavily vested in 'fantasy' so their spin and rankings I still weigh but not as much as some others.

21 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

I agree, they are likely both not around for too much longer.  I really like both, but I don't feel they are heavily vested in 'fantasy' so their spin and rankings I still weigh but not as much as some others.

Who are the “Others” that you use?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Team Dynasty said:

Who are the “Others” that you use?

TD - Mostly read Eric Cross at Fantrax, really enjoy his fantasy take, Prospects Live, Ralph's take at Razzball (what is free content), ImaginaryBrickwall, @garlando does a really good job at Pitcher's List, and also read BP's fantasy take in their write-ups for their Top 10's. 

Edited by BigPapi44