parrothead

Commissioners Corner 2019

First "fire" of the season - and its a tricky one.  

Auction keeper and we have a 3-round minor league draft.  Minor leaguers are a separate commodity.  Anyone who has not exceeded MLB rookie rules is eligible, so this could be guys in minors, guys in college, foreign players, HS players etc.   So obviously with that wide of a net, guys are drafted who are not yet in the database.  Onroto is great about adding guys in per request.  So within a couple days they are available to move onto the roster. 

So somewhere between the ML draft and my adding guys to rosters, this foreign player gets missed being put onto this guys ML squad.  Could be that the average team has 4-5 minor leaguers and this guy has a list of 30 so its a tougher scroll and guys get missed.  This is actually the second year in a row where a missed player has ended up with controversy and this team.  

So at the end of July we do a roster expansion, teams can add one player to their rosters at a $1 salary.   This can be again anyone but they are not under the minor league rules so taking guys who wont contribute as one of your 10 keepers the next year makes little to no sense and since most of the top prospects are long gone in ML draft and there is not much out there on the free agent list since were 13-teams 23 active spots.   But an owner who didnt see that this foreign player was on any roster makes him his $1 guy.  These moves are posted in a "draft" order on the website message board.    The owner who drafted him in the ML draft says nothing.   Which it is not uncommon to oversight and take someone who is gone, you get corrected and take someone else.  

Fastforward 7 months - owner who thinks he has this player trades him and posts the trade on the message board.  Guy who took him last March in the ML draft sends me text with pic saying "I own him" took him last year.  But didnt say anything when he was not posted to the roster and didnt say anything when the guy made him his callup but thats not his fault that I as commish didnt get him added and was oversight, so he rightly owns him but him not saying anything has caused an issue.   

But....now the owner who took him last year says he should be able to add any player for $1 who was a free agent at the time because had he been notified last year he would of been able to change his pick.  The issue is that 7 months later a lot has changed and honestly guys who werent even on this guys radar last July would now be pretty awesome $1 guy.   Example: Mondesi never got picked up in our league last year.   But when we did roster add ons he was hitting .230 with 2HR and 6SB - nobody wanted him.   He hit 11HR and stole 24 bases in Aug and Sept.  

That's a rough situation parrothead, good luck fixing that...

My Interest:

ROTO vs. H2H

Last year I had roughly 70 fantasy baseball teams. I only played in 3 roto and had the rest H2h.

Here's the problem: At the regular seasons end, I was in first or second place in almost every single H2H league I was in. So something like 60 out of the 63 leagues. 

I ended up getting first place in like 30 leagues only due to playoff luck factor. That was disappointing to me. I updated lineups daily for the entire season, steam rolled a lot of leagues and lost in the playoffs, in some cases, to teams that don't even set their line ups.

ROTO seems to be far away the more skilled choice, however H2H has a 'fun' factor that can't be denied. 

No way in hell will I be doing some 70 teams again this year, but I will have a username with up to 8 teams on it, and I'm just wondering how I want to balance my 8 leagues roto vs. H2h. Ugh. 

19 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

That's a rough situation parrothead, good luck fixing that...

My Interest:

ROTO vs. H2H

Last year I had roughly 70 fantasy baseball teams. I only played in 3 roto and had the rest H2h.

Here's the problem: At the regular seasons end, I was in first or second place in almost every single H2H league I was in. So something like 60 out of the 63 leagues. 

I ended up getting first place in like 30 leagues only due to playoff luck factor. That was disappointing to me. I updated lineups daily for the entire season, steam rolled a lot of leagues and lost in the playoffs, in some cases, to teams that don't even set their line ups.

ROTO seems to be far away the more skilled choice, however H2H has a 'fun' factor that can't be denied. 

No way in hell will I be doing some 70 teams again this year, but I will have a username with up to 8 teams on it, and I'm just wondering how I want to balance my 8 leagues roto vs. H2h. Ugh. 

No offense, but I don't think this fits in the Commish Corner. This is where we come to discuss issues that commissioners run across during the course of a year and gain insight into how to repair those issues. It's a thread to discuss league commissioner-related topics. 

11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

No offense, but I don't think this fits in the Commish Corner. This is where we come to discuss issues that commissioners run across during the course of a year and gain insight into how to repair those issues. It's a thread to discuss league commissioner-related topics. 

Fair point, I guess I conflated league make up (h2h vs roto) with my personal team make up.

Perhaps I can restate the question as: How do the commissioners decide whether to play roto or h2h? :)

33 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Fair point, I guess I conflated league make up (h2h vs roto) with my personal team make up.

Perhaps I can restate the question as: How do the commissioners decide whether to play roto or h2h? :)

Personal preference, I'm sure. 

On 2/9/2019 at 11:31 AM, parrothead said:

First "fire" of the season - and its a tricky one.  

Auction keeper and we have a 3-round minor league draft.  Minor leaguers are a separate commodity.  Anyone who has not exceeded MLB rookie rules is eligible, so this could be guys in minors, guys in college, foreign players, HS players etc.   So obviously with that wide of a net, guys are drafted who are not yet in the database.  Onroto is great about adding guys in per request.  So within a couple days they are available to move onto the roster. 

So somewhere between the ML draft and my adding guys to rosters, this foreign player gets missed being put onto this guys ML squad.  Could be that the average team has 4-5 minor leaguers and this guy has a list of 30 so its a tougher scroll and guys get missed.  This is actually the second year in a row where a missed player has ended up with controversy and this team.  

So at the end of July we do a roster expansion, teams can add one player to their rosters at a $1 salary.   This can be again anyone but they are not under the minor league rules so taking guys who wont contribute as one of your 10 keepers the next year makes little to no sense and since most of the top prospects are long gone in ML draft and there is not much out there on the free agent list since were 13-teams 23 active spots.   But an owner who didnt see that this foreign player was on any roster makes him his $1 guy.  These moves are posted in a "draft" order on the website message board.    The owner who drafted him in the ML draft says nothing.   Which it is not uncommon to oversight and take someone who is gone, you get corrected and take someone else.  

Fastforward 7 months - owner who thinks he has this player trades him and posts the trade on the message board.  Guy who took him last March in the ML draft sends me text with pic saying "I own him" took him last year.  But didnt say anything when he was not posted to the roster and didnt say anything when the guy made him his callup but thats not his fault that I as commish didnt get him added and was oversight, so he rightly owns him but him not saying anything has caused an issue.   

But....now the owner who took him last year says he should be able to add any player for $1 who was a free agent at the time because had he been notified last year he would of been able to change his pick.  The issue is that 7 months later a lot has changed and honestly guys who werent even on this guys radar last July would now be pretty awesome $1 guy.   Example: Mondesi never got picked up in our league last year.   But when we did roster add ons he was hitting .230 with 2HR and 6SB - nobody wanted him.   He hit 11HR and stole 24 bases in Aug and Sept.  

I am a commissioner in a 12-team 40-man roster 6-Minor League spot Otteneu league so there's a ton to keep track of and I do my best. Needless to say, some things slip through. My two cents is that the guy that originally drafted the player did nothing wrong on his end and should not be penalized - he should still have his drafted player on his roster - this goes in line with what you have already said, so I am just confirming your own actions. As far as the other owner is concerned, I would not allow him to be able to claim anyone he wants for $1 - simply b/c it is not fair to the other owners. Where would it end? Do you allow ALL owners to make a free $1 claim? And if so, who would get the first claim? It would be a mess. In this case, you just apologize for your mistake and gently remind all that being the commish is a ton of (thankless) work and in a complicated league format, mistakes will happen. I would even go as far as to say that in the future, it is incumbent on any owners making a claim in this period to verify that the player they are claiming is not currently on a roster. In these cases, I will sometimes ask anyone in the league would like to volunteer to manage the specific portion of the league in question. Usually that gets them to think about the work involved in doing that and prefer to keep their mouths shut about it. Good luck!

• Like 4

On 2/14/2019 at 8:15 AM, RotoSapien said:

I am a commissioner in a 12-team 40-man roster 6-Minor League spot Otteneu league so there's a ton to keep track of and I do my best. Needless to say, some things slip through. My two cents is that the guy that originally drafted the player did nothing wrong on his end and should not be penalized - he should still have his drafted player on his roster - this goes in line with what you have already said, so I am just confirming your own actions. As far as the other owner is concerned, I would not allow him to be able to claim anyone he wants for $1 - simply b/c it is not fair to the other owners. Where would it end? Do you allow ALL owners to make a free $1 claim? And if so, who would get the first claim? It would be a mess. In this case, you just apologize for your mistake and gently remind all that being the commish is a ton of (thankless) work and in a complicated league format, mistakes will happen. I would even go as far as to say that in the future, it is incumbent on any owners making a claim in this period to verify that the player they are claiming is not currently on a roster. In these cases, I will sometimes ask anyone in the league would like to volunteer to manage the specific portion of the league in question. Usually that gets them to think about the work involved in doing that and prefer to keep their mouths shut about it. Good luck!

Thanks for feedback, kind of feel the same although Im a little frustrated with the guy with 30 minor leaguers because this is the second time it happened and honestly probably half of them have no value were at one time prospects but have fallen off and there is nothing in the rules to really drop them.  In this case the owner did check to see and 99% of the time when you post a pick up especially in the callup who is gone- the owner will alert you that he is gone - as the player at the time of the ML draft was not in the database never got added so when he checked (and by that time he was)  the player was listed as "eligible free agent" as opposed to saying what team he is property of.  

The owner who drafted the player in the call up is pretty honest and respected member of the league, he is usually very consistent in who he looks for in these call ups.  I know he went into that process with probably 2-3 names in mind, so I asked them for his list, he gave me 3 names, one of which was this guy, one was a player who got taken (ironically by the guy who owned the foreign player) and then one is still available, going to present it to the league.  

56 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Thanks for feedback, kind of feel the same although Im a little frustrated with the guy with 30 minor leaguers because this is the second time it happened and honestly probably half of them have no value were at one time prospects but have fallen off and there is nothing in the rules to really drop them.  In this case the owner did check to see and 99% of the time when you post a pick up especially in the callup who is gone- the owner will alert you that he is gone - as the player at the time of the ML draft was not in the database never got added so when he checked (and by that time he was)  the player was listed as "eligible free agent" as opposed to saying what team he is property of.  

The owner who drafted the player in the call up is pretty honest and respected member of the league, he is usually very consistent in who he looks for in these call ups.  I know he went into that process with probably 2-3 names in mind, so I asked them for his list, he gave me 3 names, one of which was this guy, one was a player who got taken (ironically by the guy who owned the foreign player) and then one is still available, going to present it to the league.  

When I took over as commish in our league, we had a little-used rules document. I started updating it diligently and making clear to everybody that we have a couple documents that ARE a reflection of their roster. If I make an error and they don't notify me, anybody else acting on that information is within their rights. Mind you, if it's discovered quickly after an incident before much damage is done, we'll try to accommodate both. Missing a name on a document is an easy mistake; not noticing that you are missing a valuable player for months is not.

Edited by Hanghow

I've got a technical question for any ESPN LMs.

I LM a league and just made a trade and we're league vote on vetos.  On the main league page, there is a link for "Trade Voting".  There was another trade earlier in the year, and I was able to click that link and vote on the trade.

Now, when I click on it, it takes me into "League Manager Trade Review" and my options are under "Rule on Trade" to "Uphold" or "Veto".

My question is, is that just my vote as a league member on my own trade?  Or, is that to actually approve the trade as the LM and push it through?  I don't want to do that, obviously, but am I allowed to vote on my own trade?

Follow up question to that, am I able to see if a trade has received any votes to veto?  Or, do I just do nothing with it and it will automatically process, assuming it doesn't get enough votes to veto?

Posted (edited)

^  I don't think anyone comes in this thread for technical questions.  I bet you would get an answer though if you re-posted the above in:

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Should not have the option to vote on trades.  Just have commish rule on all trades.  The only trades that should ever be vetoed are in the case of collusion or tanking.  The option to vote just creates controversy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I've got a technical question for any ESPN LMs.

I LM a league and just made a trade and we're league vote on vetos.  On the main league page, there is a link for "Trade Voting".  There was another trade earlier in the year, and I was able to click that link and vote on the trade.

Now, when I click on it, it takes me into "League Manager Trade Review" and my options are under "Rule on Trade" to "Uphold" or "Veto".

My question is, is that just my vote as a league member on my own trade?  Or, is that to actually approve the trade as the LM and push it through?  I don't want to do that, obviously, but am I allowed to vote on my own trade?

Follow up question to that, am I able to see if a trade has received any votes to veto?  Or, do I just do nothing with it and it will automatically process, assuming it doesn't get enough votes to veto?

Call the 1888 number .. 549 Espn ? I think that is it. 18885493776

• Thanks 1