shakestreet

Scott Kingery 2019 Outlook

What are we expecting this year? I was tricked into believing. Recapping the first couple of pages from the 2018 thread, it looks like a lot of people were dead wrong in there assessment. We all know Jean Segura & Cesar Hernandez are guaranteed spots in the middle of the infield. Hoskins & Franco at the corners.

Will Scott be drafted in redraft leagues and does he have any value in dynasty leagues? 

Edited by shakestreet

He might be able to beat out Franco at 3b, I don't think that's set in stone.

19 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

There is still a lot that needs to shake out from free agency first before I back you on that. Especially with Mike Moustakas still on the market. If the Phils end up not getting Harper I think it's possible they throw some money his way.

But, if it comes down to Franco being the 3B you may be on to something there in a potential platoon situation sort of way. 

I think Kingrey finds his way into the lineup a decent amount but not enough to gain him fantasy credibility in 12 teamers redraft. 

5 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Harper would get 3B if signed.  If not they could get Moose or keep Franco there. 

Kingery is now a struggling utility player at this point rushed too soon up to the bigs by that crazy contract Philly paid him as a minor leaguer and then put into playing multi positions when someone that young should have had a single position to concentrate on.  They really screwed the kid up.  Don't know if he ever recovers.  His best hope is to get traded away to another team at this point.

He definitely won't get drafted in redrafts and depends on roster space in dynasty leagues since he is no longer a prospect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

someone that young should have had a single position to concentrate on.  They really screwed the kid up.  Don't know if he ever recovers. 

I feel like it was more that he just didn't adjust to MLB pitching. He wasn't bad defensively at all. He was really only below average at 3B in what was a tiny sample. Sure, maybe he could've made more adjustments as a hitter if he only had to worry about one defensive position, but I think it's more likely that he still would've struggled as a hitter no matter what. Versatility is extremely valuable in today's MLB, so I don't fault the Phillies at all for teaching him multiple positions from the start. 

Not sure he got screwed up.He either figures out how to hit, or he doesn't.

Edited by cs3
  • Like 2

He will get in games but not consistently. Segura, Cesar, Rhys, Odubel, and McCutcheon are locks. That leaves one OF spot and 3B. OF is more complicated with Altherr, Nick Williams, and Roman Quinn, all deserving of ABs. Franco isn't a world beater but he is going to get a majority of the ABs at 3B. Unless Scott gets hot or a key injury occurs he's not worth a draft pick at this point. If Franco gets hurt or benched then he's in consideration of course.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Harper would get 3B if signed.  If not they could get Moose or keep Franco there. 

Kingery is now a struggling utility player at this point rushed too soon up to the bigs by that crazy contract Philly paid him as a minor leaguer and then put into playing multi positions when someone that young should have had a single position to concentrate on.  They really screwed the kid up.  Don't know if he ever recovers.  His best hope is to get traded away to another team at this point.

He definitely won't get drafted in redrafts and depends on roster space in dynasty leagues since he is no longer a prospect.

It's funny how people are giving up on this kid but Buxton will turn it around this year like he was supposed to for the last 3 years, I'm not giving up on him yet unless they sign Moose

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

It's funny how people are giving up on this kid but Buxton will turn it around this year like he was supposed to for the last 3 years, I'm not giving up on him yet unless they sign Moose

Well, Buxton has had PT opportunity that Kingery does not have this year. I don't think anyone is giving up on Kingery longterm, but his 2019 doesn't look very promising, barring an injury. 

• Like 2

I remember everyone talked him up to be the second coming of 08 Pedroia last year lol

That being said, I put the blame on the Phillies with that shocking contract last spring to rush him up to the majors. It was very detrimental to his development. I believe we would be looking at a promising sophomore campaign from this kid if they just let him mash triple A and brought him up in the summer. My hope is he can get carve out a role as a bench bat and work his confidence back and at the very least show what he is capable of, because last year was not a good representation of what he can offer at all. Best case scenario he overtakes Franco at 3rd at has a starting spot on a great offense. Because frankly I have seen enough of Franco over the last 3-4 years with his inconsistent play. 

• Like 1

I mean I'm more interested in where Machado signs. He's a far better defender at 3b so I don't know what that nonsense is about. Gold Glover wants to play as an average SS? Yanks, Phil's, or chisox is what I'm hoping for him. But back to kingery. If you like kingery he can be had in the last round as a flyer

He was pretty bad last season.  .267obp.  .605OPS.  Really had that one good season for power in 2017 and that's it.  Has the ability to steal 25-30 if he ever gets on base.

Too early to give up on, but he could stand to be in the minors if he doesn't land regular playing time.  Too many minuses for me outside of dynasty leagues and deep draft & holds.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

He was pretty bad last season.  .267obp.  .605OPS.  Really had that one good season for power in 2017 and that's it.  Has the ability to steal 25-30 if he ever gets on base.

Too early to give up on, but he could stand to be in the minors if he doesn't land regular playing time.  Too many minuses for me outside of dynasty leagues and deep draft & holds.  

Worth considering too that he was a bit older coming on to the season and will be 25 at the start of this year. Shouldn't be given up on, but expectations should be tempered. This year is very important for him.

Kingery had been blazing in the Spring, but today was 0-3 with 3 Ks. I know it's early February and no reason to put SK into the Hall after a good run than to dismiss him after a poor game, but it's concerning that after playing so well he seemingly lost it totally at the plate today. 

He is stockier this year after spending all winter working out so if he gets the PAs I think he has a chance to hit for some better than average power with great speed, but the doubts remain until I see it during Spring and Summer. 

7 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

Is everyone in or out on Jetpax in dynasty leagues? 

I am still IN.  Fingers are crossed. You never know maybe an injury to one of the middle infielders .... bingo 

I was obviously way off on him last year, but hey, he's shown some pop and speed in spring (again).  

Kapler has always been his biggest fan as well, and he sure tried to get King in the lineup whenever he could last season.

Posted (edited)

I assume nobody cares, but our boy King has 4 ABs in 2019 and zero starts.

Edited by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

I assume nobody cares, but our boy King has 4 ABs in 2019 and zero starts.

Lineup is stacked from top to bottom with everyday players. Barring an injury, he’s simply a backup/utility guy.

He's on fire lately....

If he could take someones job (Hernandez) he could be very valuable with all of his eligibility